Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Trackballs & Spinners

With the strong possibility of of games using trackballs and/or spinners, who has recommendations for these devices for PC's.

Is there any specific controllers that offer both these as an option?

And has anyone used a mouse wheel for this purpose and your thoughts on that?

• Like 2

Just tried a mouse with wheel, you don't seem to be able to map the mouse buttons or mouse movement in M.A.M.E.

Anyone had success with this?

Tried Arkanoid and I was thinking maybe mouse movement and space (shoot) may be a good combo but seems to be no-go. Keyboard movement of the paddle is not fun.

Currently thinking X-Arcade stick with a trackball would work (although not a spinner), not cheap though, and considering I have another joystick I prefer to play most games with it's a lot of cash for a very specific purpose. However, my fighting game friends who come over would probably love it!

https://xgaming.com.au/products/tankstick

• Like 1

Hi Geoff,

Not tried yet, but the trackball as I understand is seen as a mouse by mame, in the ini file there is a 'multimouse' that has to be set to 1 if you are using a trackball with a regular mouse for widows navigation. you could fiddle around and see it that works, but not sure.

For a PC device, I just bought a Ultimarc U-trak on Tuesday, it got delivered about an hour ago so haven't had a chance to hook it up yet and test it out yet. It will plug into the newer IPACs with the trackball/spinner inputs or you can purchase an micro usb adaptor for an extra $20. The trackball itself isnt real cheap at around $140 but Ultimarc is reliable I think to justify it.

Charlie.

• Like 1

Hi, in your mame directory look for a mame.ini file, if there isn't one go to that directory and run "mame64 - createconfig" from a command prompt which should create the file.

in the mame.ini file (open with notepad) scroll down and look in the controls section for "mouse 0" and change the 0 to a 1 which will allow your computer's mouse or trackpad to be assigned to in-game controls. Then using 'tab' within a game and going into 'inputs - this game" you should be able to select these for specific controls. Haven't tried the scroll wheel but suspect that will work too.

as above, to use an additional trackball or spinner in conjunction with your computer's mouse you would probably need the 'multimouse' option selected. Regards, John

• Like 4

Just tried a mouse with wheel, you don't seem to be able to map the mouse buttons or mouse movement in M.A.M.E.

Anyone had success with this?

Tried Arkanoid and I was thinking maybe mouse movement and space (shoot) may be a good combo but seems to be no-go. Keyboard movement of the paddle is not fun.

Currently thinking X-Arcade stick with a trackball would work (although not a spinner), not cheap though, and considering I have another joystick I prefer to play most games with it's a lot of cash for a very specific purpose. However, my fighting game friends who come over would probably love it!

https://xgaming.com.au/products/tankstick

I have an x-arcade tank stick which has 2 players and a trackball and I love it. All the games that use a spinner can use the trackball and it works really well in my opinion. The best part is the warranty they offer.. I have had it now for over 10 years and they will still replace a worn or broken part no questions asked. So again the x-arcade is worth the initial investment as no other manufacturer that I know offers that type of warranty.

• Like 3

So this is what ill be gaming with for any trackball titles. Utimarc U-trak, Ipac2 and one button.

IMG_0770.jpg.8f22e479107328e080f3b4836741f579.jpg IMG_0771.jpg.adf63e74cdd38b72cee59bee9b585ae3.jpg

Only got the trackball today so no time to build a smick controller box (that will have to come later) but it will do the job for MGL47. Trackball worked in windows straight off the bat, but I tried all the settings in the ini file with no luck in getting it working in mame. I knobbed around for hours.

I was testing in a mameUI32 version of mame on the laptop out of convenience. Everything I tried in ini amounted to nothing, it dawned on me to try the controller mapping via the UI and changing it there and yep it worked. All part of the fun I guess and I got to drink 5 beers doing it so its a win win in the end.

see youall in the centipede/Millipede/Missile command/Tempest or what ever might be....and may all your games be good.

• Like 4

Ok considering all the other uses (2player fighting, 2 joy control games Robotron?) I’ve gone for the massive 2player with trackball x-arcade tank stick. I bought a solo years ago but the joystick now ‘bounces’ so when you let go one way it will flick your player in the opposite direction which gets me killed. I’ve since used it for parts for another fight stick but none have a trackball solution

For anyone in Brisbane there is an X-arcade trackball/button only device on Facebook marketplace I have never seen before. Obviously built for trackball only games. Just search x-arcade trackball and you’ll see it.

• Like 2

I have one, mine's not for sale but I would recommend that model for trackball games... The trackball is 3"

trackball.jpg.511f633158d18f5b2718e3bc5426be05.jpg

There's a good series of clips on Youtube showing the range of trackball games which can be played in MAME, here's the first installment:

The author of those clips has also added a spinner in place of one of the switches, great idea. - not sure if he is a member of this forum or not.

Regards, John

• Like 2

I own xarcade tankstick and own turbo twist 2 spinner. Spinner fits perfectly in a buttonhole. Bought it from groovygamegear a few years ago. You can also adjust the resistance.with allen wrench. I swapped out player 1 joy for a 4 way so cant play Robotron with it in current state, but I use ps4 controller dual sticks for that and while not as good as the real thing, it gets the job done.

They also sell mini steering wheels you can attach to the spinner, but find the spinner knob better for say pole position. The wheels just seem awkward on the xarcade for me at least.

• Like 3

I found it impossible to get the joystick off my old x-arcade solo stick and gave up. I wanted to put in a 4way. What you have here is the stick I'm getting with trackball in the middle, will def order one of the button spinners. Is the wiring your standard active and ground like on microswitches? Or do you have to solder it up?

Hey Creech,

When playing with your X-Arcade do you ever get a response from it that goes something like this

You push right a few times and then push left a few times and are repeating this, but then you notice that for some reason it seems to continue to move in the one direction for longer than you are wanting it to. In other words it seems to have a mind of it's own. Sometimes I'm playing a shooter and your moving to one side and then you want to stop moving but it continues to move.

Also seems like using the buttons for a fire button it seems to lock up and hold it down so that you aren't getting multiple registering of the button being pushed but the button is physically moving up and down.

I found it impossible to get the joystick off my old x-arcade solo stick and gave up. I wanted to put in a 4way. What you have here is the stick I'm getting with trackball in the middle, will def order one of the button spinners. Is the wiring your standard active and ground like on microswitches? Or do you have to solder it up?

I believe the spinner is separate from the controller you are putting it into. It has it's own usb cord. This is my understanding of it.

I couldnt help myself and had to make some refinements on my trackball setup. I rounded the top edge with my laminate trimmer, added a second button just in case, boxed it up with some scraps of plywood and finished it off with a coat of beeswax. Not fine woodworking but that's ok its not meant to be. Sits nice and comfy on the lap now.

I'm chuffed I bought the trackball and have been have some fun playing centipede, it really does make a difference in the game play.

but I should stop now and get on to recording some scores for games 1 and 2. :)

IMG_0772.jpg.156471f796f60764c9fa6667c98a3205.jpg

• Like 3

Hey Creech,

When playing with your X-Arcade do you ever get a response from it that goes something like this

You push right a few times and then push left a few times and are repeating this, but then you notice that for some reason it seems to continue to move in the one direction for longer than you are wanting it to. In other words it seems to have a mind of it's own. Sometimes I'm playing a shooter and your moving to one side and then you want to stop moving but it continues to move.

Also seems like using the buttons for a fire button it seems to lock up and hold it down so that you aren't getting multiple registering of the button being pushed but the button is physically moving up and down.

Hi John, I haven't experienced that behavior, either with the directional or buttons.

I have owned a few snes usb controllers though that have had some ghost inputs. I think they did have problems like you described with the older models. I believe I read that somewhere.

• Like 1

I couldnt help myself and had to make some refinements on my trackball setup. I rounded the top edge with my laminate trimmer, added a second button just in case, boxed it up with some scraps of plywood and finished it off with a coat of beeswax. Not fine woodworking but that's ok its not meant to be. Sits nice and comfy on the lap now.

I'm chuffed I bought the trackball and have been have some fun playing centipede, it really does make a difference in the game play.

but I should stop now and get on to recording some scores for games 1 and 2. :)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":2201136}[/ATTACH]

Looks good mate. Now, if only we had a trackball game in MGL. :lolWouldn't it be funny if none were picked?

• Like 2

Looks good mate. Now, if only we had a trackball game in MGL. :lolWouldn't it be funny if none were picked?

haha, I didnt think of that, yep that would be funny, but I reckon well see at least one, but then if we don't, all good, I've opened up an new experience to my gaming.

P.S. glad to see you decide to go round one more time :023:

• Like 1

haha, I didnt think of that, yep that would be funny, but I reckon well see at least one, but then if we don't, all good, I've opened up an new experience to my gaming.

P.S. glad to see you decide to go round one more time :023:

Yeah, there's alot of great games that use these special controls, whether we see those or not, it's definitely a great addition to your gaming arsenal. These first 2 games aren't encouraging me to play haha, I really do need a break, but if I dont put a score up for every game I'll definitely be around.

I have Millipede and Arkanoid cabs with trackball and spinner, but I'm better with a mouse in MAME and can score higher than I can on my cabs.

Also, for those using MAME via command line, you can just add -mouse rather than changing your mame.ini.

• Like 2

I just wanted to say to everyone in this MGL, there are definitely trackball, paddle (spinner) and dual stick games that will be played in MGL47. Steering wheel games were also in the nomination pool. You may wish to organise some equipment or work out how you will play these types of games.

:)

• Like 2