Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLXLVII - ROBOCADE - WORLD COMPETITION

​Hi Gamers,

Welcome to MGL47 - ROBOCADE, the 1st video gaming tournament of the 2021 season. All gamers worldwide are welcome to game. You can join in at any time.

Please watch the trailer below for the official tournament launch with important competition details ...

Competition:

The gamer with the most points in this tournament will be the MGL47 champion. There will be 11 games played over 8 weeks, competing world wide on the most challenging and toughest video games of all time. 2 games will be released at the start, then 1 game each week, except 2 games after weeks 2, 4 and 6. Games are only open for 17 days each, so gamers must play their best in that time and post their scores before the game is closed. At the end of each MGL, points will be accumulated for each gamer toward the World Championship of eSports Scoreboard. The highest score after the four MGLs are completed will be the undisputed World Champion of eSports for 2021.

Prizes:

Every gamer that plays all of the games has the chance to win the mystery prize. So if there are 11 games and you play and submit for all 11, then if you are drawn from the pool of qualifiers, then you will win all of the prizes. Whether you finish in the top half or the lower half in the tournament, you still have a chance to win. Prizes will be cash and/or arcade memorabilia. In MGL47, the mystery prize will be 6 x mystery prizes. If 70 or more different gamers play in this MGL, there will be 2 mystery prizes for 2 gamers, instead of 1 mystery prize for 1 gamer. If 100 or more different gamers play in this MGL, there will be 3 mystery prizes for 3 gamers.

Point system:

The incremental point system will be used for each game. 1st place will earn 100 points, 2nd place 99 points, 3rd place 98 points and so on. All gamers will earn competition points for their scores. If there is a tie on the overall scoreboard, then a head to head game win count will be used to determine the final placings. For example, if two players tie for 18th place in the world, then whoever has scored higher per game on a head to head basis will earn 18th place and the other gamer will earn 19th place. If there is a tie also on head to head game count, the gamer who has the highest accumulated game score points will be the winner.

Games:

Games are nominated by the competitors and sent by PM to the Gamemaster. Games must be selected from 1976 to 1993, where trackball, steering wheel and dual stick games can be nominated. The number of games that can be nominated by each competitor in MGL47 is in the trailer. The games to be played in the competition will be randomly drawn from the pool of nominations. Only unique games will be in the pool, as duplications of nominations will not be placed in the pool. The order of game play will be determined by the Gamemaster and each game will be released weekly for competition.

CdADG7M.png

If you would like to nominate games and have a say in what is played, please send them by private message (PM) to OOO by midnight Sydney time on Wednesday March 31st. The number of games you can nominate is in the trailer. The first two games will commence on Friday April 2nd.

All games from MGL44, MGL45 and MGL46 are excluded from MGL47, and cannot be nominated.

Settings:

The game settings will be posted in each game thread and gamers must ensure they compete on these settings only. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing allowed. No auto fire allowed. No stitching of inp files from save states. No cheats allowed.

Any WolfMAME version can be used. Only the version 0.106 ROM set will be posted for each game and the equivalent for other MAME versions can be used.

Games can be played at the arcade. You must ensure the arcade operator has the game at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.

Submissions:

Gamers are to post a screenshot/photo showing their score with initials in the game thread. Games are only open for 17 days and any score submissions made after the game is closed by the Gamemaster will not be accepted. Scores at aussiearcade.com will be combined with scores from twingalaxies.com to form the world championship scoreboard.

Gamers:

Professional and casual gamers can play all or just some of the games. Gamers do not need to nominate games to play, they can play any game during the tournament. Streaming games and posting/sharing tips are encouraged, as is friendly banter in the gaming community. Striving for PBs, learning and playing the best you can are all highly encouraged. As all members at AA are registered, there is no additional registration process for the championships.

Good gaming and good luck to all competitors.

OOO

:)

Edited by Arcade King
  • Like 7

All games from MGL44, MGL45 and MGL46 are excluded from MGL47, and cannot be nominated.

Can the 'not acceptable previous played games' be listed somewhere officially? I'm too lazy to try go find them all :P

[/b]

Can the 'not acceptable previous played games' be listed somewhere officially? I'm too lazy to try go find them all :P

MGL 44

Bank Panic, Snap Jack, Van Van Car, Toobin, Son Son, Galaxian, Time Scanner, Do! Run Run, TMNT, Space Firebird

MGL 45

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, Cosmic Alien, The New Zealand Story, Vs. Dr. Mario, Rolling Thunder, Lock 'N Chase, Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Joust, SWAT, Moon Cresta

MGL 46

Frogger, Burgertime, Zoo Keeper, Return of the Invaders, Flashgal, Anteater, Dangerous Dungeons, Bagman, Rygar, The Amazing Adventures of Mr. F. Lea

• Like 4

MGL 44

Bank Panic, Snap Jack, Van Van Car, Toobin, Son Son, Galaxian, Time Scanner, Do! Run Run, TMNT, Space Firebird

MGL 45

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, Cosmic Alien, The New Zealand Story, Vs. Dr. Mario, Rolling Thunder, Lock 'N Chase, Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Joust, SWAT, Moon Cresta

MGL 46

Frogger, Burgertime, Zoo Keeper, Return of the Invaders, Flashgal, Anteater, Dangerous Dungeons, Bagman, Rygar, The Amazing Adventures of Mr. F. Lea

Thanks Tracey beat me to it lol :)

• Like 2

Just one of these is big trouble, so just imagine two ... Robotron_2084_enforcer.png.d5d87c4cb7fb69b3ee0afaef27211418.png Robotron_2084_enforcer.png.a2b27f76b31c9f7629e7ef5b7b858855.png

Now just imagine then, what Games 1 and 2 will be like ... ? ?

All your base are belong to us!

:cool:

Time's a ticking. Nominations close midnight tonight. What should we play?

;)

• Like 2

My nomination is just one - Marble Madness.

Might as well go all-in on the non-standard controls. I have no trackball. I'd like one. Maybe this'll spurn me to get one.

A good idea for motivation. A great ATARI game and plenty of marbles.

Not long to go now ... :cool:

I would love to nominate Spy Hunter but I can't seem to get a decent control setup for that one... lmk if you know of a decent setup.

I thought we weren't supposed to tell our nominations?

Is this the shortest timeline for nominations in MGL history?

I would love to nominate Spy Hunter but I can't seem to get a decent control setup for that one... lmk if you know of a decent setup.

i now have a steering wheel and pedals in case any driving games come up. Have you tried that?

• Like 1

Normally not, but if people want to volunteer and talk about them, well that's fine. It's also a good insight on what people like, why like and some good stories.

It may seem short to you, but the trailer release lead time till actually starting was the same as last season. Promo release is normally on the Saturday before game start on the following Friday. Nominations close on the Wednesday, so you get 5 days to put in your mutton, and the really keen gamers prepare their choices weeks earlier. Good preparation makes for a good competition.

• Like 1

we have one that we use for the XBox. I wonder if that would work on a Mame PC?

A xbox controller should work just attach a USB 2.0 cable to the controller and plug it in to your PC. If you don't have a USB 2.0 cable you can use the end of your phone charging cable. @BandontheRun

Edited by Evan04

• 1 month later...
I know we're not done yet but I may personally be done grinding the last couple games. I know @OOO told us to be ready for dual sticks and spinners and trackballs and all kinds of stuff, but I can say that every score I put up this round was on a keyboard. No mouse or joysticks or anything. Just "didn't get around to it." This was a fun one!
  • Like 1

I know we're not done yet but I may personally be done grinding the last couple games. I know @OOO told us to be ready for dual sticks and spinners and trackballs and all kinds of stuff, but I can say that every score I put up this round was on a keyboard. No mouse or joysticks or anything. Just "didn't get around to it." This was a fun one!

You did really well on those games without the equipment. Nice effort!

OCjrtNw.png

The opening tournament of the 2021 season has just been completed. 53 gamers played in this challenging competition as follows:

2oQSACN.png

LhcOoru.png

To view the complete scoreboard, right click and select “Open image in new tab�

Congratulations to all competitors that played in this tournament. It was a monster effort to play the new controls of trackball and dual sticks, as well as the standard joystick and buttons. 11 different video games were played over 59 days, making this tournament the most number of games played in 9 years. We had 7 new games never played before in the MGL, which were Venture, Vs. Excitebike, Mat Mania, Intrepid, Rootin’ Tootin’, Robotron and Centipede. We also had 1 game that had not been played for over 11 years, in Psychic 5, a rare game from Jaleco. So this was an interesting adventure of discovery for most gamers.

PaZ2tKa.jpg

In this tournament, 15 different gamers had at least one of their games drawn from the nomination game pool. These were from Ace1942, BandontheRun (2), Blackflag82 (3), Busty34, Creech, Evan04, Gsuttor, Ivanstorm1973, Kane, Lexa, Spectre, SMK, RedDawn, Tracey and ZNC. This is the highest number of gamers with their games drawn, since MGL30 (16 gamers) from 4.5 years ago.

xTPIo3w.jpg

4 gamers made their MGL debut. These were Boomgo_pinball (best 348,450 on Robotron for 8th place), Conzo (best 66,805 on Venture for 24th place), LordCrix (best 13,045,500 on Psychic 5 for 2nd place) and Mappy24 (273,825 on Robotron for 9th place). I hope you enjoyed the competition, and well played.

Pc2pmxj.jpg

With 11 games contested there were 7 different game winners: Blackflag82 (2), DaLar (1), Dbh (1), Fly (1), Lexa (1), Redelf (4) and Shahbaz (1).

Congratulations to the game winners for achieving the high score on these games …

3HbAVxm.png

IyibtOC.png

4IsXWTA.png

JvL9MFt.png

kKDYyHz.png

4eoCjoZ.png

QNRvRW0.png

wdMuCgN.png

7eGSA7b.png

i90jUCC.png

2cEMANf.png

I have updated the virtual trophies for the Top 3 … with the fire breathing dragon from Dig Dug …

Champion:

John McAllister

iWBA1ik.png

2nd:

Patrick Stanley

bRQpLvZ.png

3rd:

Shahbaz Sadiq

6T06XtU.png

21 gamers finished within a single digit of each other, 8 less than from MGL46. The competition was very close going into the last 4 games of the tournament. 10 gamers scored over 900 points for a great distinction, and another 6 gamers scored over 1,000 points for an even higher distinction.

There were 2 tied scores on the scoreboard. GMU and Zap both finished with 715 points for 24th place. The head to head count was 6-4 to GMU, and he took out 24th place, while Zap took out 25th place. JoeyS and Dbh both finished with 199 points for 40th place. The head to head count was 3-2 to JoeyS, and he took out 40th place, while Dbh took out 41st place.

5aXX74h.jpg

Congratulations to John McAllister, who top scored with 1078 points, to win his first ever MGL title. His performance was excellent. He won 4 games, was runner up in 2 games, and has now played 95 games in the MGL. His previous best finishes were 3rd place in MGL38, 3rd place in MGL44, 2nd place in MGL46, and now he has his maiden title in MGL47. Having played in 12 x MGL tournaments, this was a very well deserved win.

Patrick Stanley finished in 2nd place with 2 game wins. These were on Rootin’ Tootin and Rampage. Scoring 1,070 points, only 8 points behind the winner, this was a fantastic result, for his 3rd 2nd place finish in MGL history.

Shahbaz Sadiq finished in a superb 3rd place in this tournament. He was tied for the lead after 6 games, and finally ended up with a mighty 96.4 game average. He won Venture and was runner up on 3 other games.

Daniel Larsen finished in a great 4th place, just 16 points behind a podium finish. He won Psychic 5, and was runner up on Rootin’ Tootin’ and Rampage. With the completion of this tournament, Daniel has the high distinction of being the top scorer in WCE history. With 14,520 points, more than any other player, that’s 5 years of gaming to compete for the top. Robert Macauley is close behind in 2nd place with 14,370 points, and Jeff Mikuska is in 3rd place with 12,435 points.

Jacob Spring made a welcome return to the MGL with a fine 5th place. His best score was 3rd place on Psychic 5, and next best was 4th place on both Venture and Mat Mania. He has now played in 73 x MGL games, with a superb all time average of 90.1 points per game.

Pessimeister played nicely for 6th place in his 14th MGL tournament. His best finish was 5th place on Venture, and his game average was 91.2. He scored better than his all time average of 88.3, a clear sign that he is improving his game even further.

Darren Mcgahey finished in 7th place with 995 points, only 8 points behind Pessimeister in 6th place. His best scores were 5th place on both Intrepid and Rootin’ Tootin’. With the completion of this tournament, Darren has become an honored and highly esteemed MGL Centurion, with 109 games played in 12 MGL tournaments. He is the 17th all time gamer to join this prestigious group.

Robert Macauley finished in 8th place in his 34th MGL tournament. His best score was 4th place on Ghosts ‘n Goblins with 174,700 points. Next best was 5th place on Mat Mania with 467,650 points. He has now finished in the Top 10 of every MGL tournament, since his first one in MGL14, for the last 9 years.

Arcadinator finished in a really good 9th place. His best score was on Vs. Excitebike for 4th place, next best on Psychic 5 for 5th place, and next best on Rampage for 6th place. After also seeing this gamer play live in the Australian BOTA 2021, he has the tenacity and ability to finish even higher.

Ace1942 made the Top 10 with a determined effort on all of the games. His best finish was 9th place on Venture, and he has now played in 58 x MGL games. Breaking the 50 games played milestone (good stuff), his average score for this tournament was 87.2, exactly the same as his all time average. Nice.

Tracey finished in a neat 11th place with a total score of 959 points. His game average was 83.9, 3.9 points more than his all time average of 80. His best score was 6th place on Robotron 2084, with 563,675 points. Hitting half a million plus on this tough frantic game is an achievement by itself. His next best was 8th place on Centipede, a trackball game, so it seems Tracey enjoyed the special controller games the most.

Lexa finished in a fine 12th place after winning Game 5 - Mat Mania. Scoring an incredible 2,574,900 points on that title, his next best was 6th place on Ghosts ‘n Goblins with 168,200 points. He scored a total of 916 points across the 11 games played, with an average of 83.3 points per game.

Lasice finished in lucky 13th place, just 1 point behind Lexa, with 915 points. His best scores were 11th place on both Ghosts ‘n Goblins and Intrepid. Playing 13 games so far in 2 x MGL tournaments, he has the potential to play even better.

Kane finished in 14th place, again so close, only 2 points behind 13th place, and only 3 points behind 12th place. He scored a total of 913 points at an average of 83, and also played in his 38th MGL. That’s a great gamer who plays really well. His best finish was 3rd place on Centipede, one of the greatest games of all time.

BandontheRun finished in 15th place with a game average of 82.8 points. That’s 5.3 points better than his all time average of 77.5, so a very good improvement considering some of the tough titles we just played.

A special mention goes out to Homar, who has now joined the MGL Centurions, with 101 games played in 12 x MGL tournaments. That’s a very fine effort, and great play to achieve such a top milestone. Congratulations.

Another special mention goes out to RichyS, who has now played in 150+ games, with a total of 152 titles. That’s an amazing achievement, and your gaming has been tremendous, and your MGL statistics very interesting.

To all gamers who finished in the Top 20, congratulations, it was well played. For all other gamers, this was a tougher than normal line up of games. The trackball and dual stick games made it more challenging, and we had many new titles not played before, so it made things even more tricky to play well. Thanks to everyone who played in the MGL, and I hope you enjoyed the competition as much as possible.

This was the opener for 2021. It’s a very busy schedule this season. Please take care and have a great break. MGL48 will start on the 18th of June, so plenty of time to recharge and have fun.

The Mystery Prize Draw will commence shortly.

:)

OOO

Edited by OOO
  • Like 6