MGLXLII - Game 1 ~ 1942 (closes 15-Dec)

Collapse

MGLXLII - Arcade Shooter

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to the first boss plane with 2 lives left. nearly killed it with my final life (but didn't). I think I've only every got past this stage a few times.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1942a_294300.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	1856206

Comment

Score for JackS - he's not a fan of shooters...

Name:	Jack_1942a_2090.png
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1856208

Comment

Originally posted by orse View Post
        Whooo hooo! 1007160

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachm...hmentid=156896

First time ever that I've beaten the second boss plane and I managed another 6 stages or so after that! I wanted a million points so badly, but then I was down to my last life on 940k and I thought I had no chance... but somehow I managed to hang in there and get to the magic million. Probably the highlight of my arcade gaming career so far

My nerves were shot to pieces at the end though!
        Awesome story, awesome score!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Charlie Milne View Post

PB, good to know I can beat my 12yr old self

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachm...hmentid=156894
        LOL
        MGLXLVI - Neon Arcade - on now!
        https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/a...ls#post2179564

Comment

156,040 I really feel I can do better if I get out of my damn way... and use the loop button sometime...

Name:	MGL42-1942-2.jpg
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1856218

Comment

Originally posted by {NW}Nike View Post
            156,040 I really feel I can do better if I get out of my damn way... and use the loop button sometime...
            https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachm...hmentid=156920
            Haha me too, by the time I think about it I'm dead already.

Comment

Name:	0034.png
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	1856222
              sigpic

Comment

Day 4 of 17 ...

"As the enemy plane went into a steep dive, I followed it in earnest, with extreme yaw and g-force, I finished him off."

From the MGL good news stories and scores.

Very nice improvements coming through by gamers on all levels!

Last edited by OOO; 2 December 2019, 09:31 PM.
                MGLXLVI - Neon Arcade - on now!
                https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/a...ls#post2179564

Comment

Managed to avoid the glitch by being just above 160k at the end of the first % & points up stage. Seems like it only happens on certain levels? as I managed to get extra lives later in the game from the level end bonus.

Name:	0006.png
ID:	1856226

Comment

150,550pts

WASD starter. Have played so many games on keyboard but never this one. This'll improve.

Name:	1942a150550pts.png
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1856234
                    https://archive.org/details/TheGreens
                    https://www.facebook.com/TheGreensMusic
                    www.reverbnation.com/thegreens
                    www.thegreensmusic.com

Comment

Name:	19420012.png
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	1856238

Comment

Originally posted by Barra View Post
                        If you get a bonus and skip the 10k digit where you'd usually get an extra, you won't get any more for the rest of the game (apart from the ones from the orange planes)
                        e.g. if you're at 40k and you get the 50k bonus at the end of the stage, you'll be on 90k and skip 80k where you'd usually get an extra.
                        Very interesting... I'd always thought the bonus life glitch relates to getting an extra life while killing a boss plane i.e you kill the first boss plane but your score passes 20,000 as a result, meaning you don't get any extra score-related bonus lives for the rest of the game?

Anyway, I did a search to see if I could find where I might have come up with that idea and all I could find was the following on Aracde Otaku wiki:

"If you win an extra plane from points when killing a boss plane, no extra planes will be awarded on the basis of points. Extra planes can still be obtained by getting the Black/Red POW, but no point-based bonuses will be awarded for the rest of the game".

Not sure if that site I quoted is a reliable source by any means, just thought it was interesting to read another explanation ...

I'd love to know for sure because I've always only tried to avoid killing boss planes when I'm anywhere near the score required for a bonus life and not worried about my score at the end of a stage
                        Last edited by orse; 3 December 2019, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Got up to the Last 02 stage which I assume is second to last stage? and the last stage is a % point stage which is easy. So very close to a 1CC. I'm pretty sure I hit the glitch mid way through the game too and so stopped getting new lives.

Name:	0007.png
ID:	1856247

Comment

Originally posted by orse View Post
                            Very interesting... I'd always thought the bonus life glitch relates to getting an extra life while killing a boss plane i.e you kill the first boss plane but your score passes 20,000 as a result, meaning you don't get any extra score-related bonus lives for the rest of the game?

Anyway, I did a search to see if I could find where I might have come up with that idea and all I could find was the following on Aracde Otaku wiki:

"If you win an extra plane from points when killing a boss plane, no extra planes will be awarded on the basis of points. Extra planes can still be obtained by getting the Black/Red POW, but no point-based bonuses will be awarded for the rest of the game".

Not sure if that site I quoted is a reliable source by any means, just thought it was interesting to read another explanation ...

I'd love to know for sure because I've always only tried to avoid killing boss planes when I'm anywhere near the score required for a bonus life and not worried about my score at the end of a stage
                            Sounds like Barra's explanation is correct. If your points increment past the extra life bonus by more than 10k it won't register and you'll never get more lives from points. The only parts of the game where you get enough points to do this are at end of level bonus if you get a high % or with the very big boss plane. The regular bomber planes are fine as they max out at 9k points.

Comment

Luckily when it comes to glitches, we can just put in another free credit in via MAME eh?

I've actually encountered a real bug on the Bartronica cabinet at least three times; not sure what romset it's running. Basically if you get to the first boss plane at around 250-300 k on your last life, there is a chance that it will not appear/spawn at all and you'll simply continue flying unabated or stopped by any enemies with a screen of clear blue. The only fix for it is a hard reset or the sound will drive people absolutely nuts.

I think either [MENTION=21154]Arcadinator[/MENTION] or [MENTION=9619]timmychap[/MENTION] even took a video of it when I first encountered it a year and a half ago. This was before the renovations. It was pretty crazy; I'd never seen anything like it before. If anyone else has experienced it or knows more about it, by all means let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Pessimeister View Post
                                Luckily when it comes to glitches, we can just put in another free credit in via MAME eh?

I've actually encountered a real bug on the Bartronica cabinet at least three times; not sure what romset it's running. Basically if you get to the first boss plane at around 250-300 k on your last life, there is a chance that it will not appear/spawn at all and you'll simply continue flying unabated or stopped by any enemies with a screen of clear blue. The only fix for it is a hard reset or the sound will drive people absolutely nuts.

I think either [MENTION=21154]Arcadinator[/MENTION] or [MENTION=9619]timmychap[/MENTION] even took a video of it when I first encountered it a year and a half ago. This was before the renovations. It was pretty crazy; I'd never seen anything like it before. If anyone else has experienced it or knows more about it, by all means let me know.
                                These particular glitches in 1942 are obvious programming errors. What I find interesting is certain games, Galaga is one, where the bonus lives dry up when you roll the score. This could have be intentionally done by the programmers or maybe not. There are a host of games where the extra lives keep occuring when you pass the score required, but will either glitch back to zero lives (integer overflow) or kill you off immediately (128th life on Nibbler I believe)

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X