Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Kong Off 2012 - King of AA

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/kokheader2-2.png

Welcome to the 2012

Aussie Arcade KONG OFF

The 2nd of what we hope will be an annual event to find the best AA Donkey Kong player. Two weeks of barrel jumping, elevator riding, pie bashing and firefox smashing fun starts tonight May 13th at 7pm sharp! The competition ends and the champion will be crowded at 7pm, 27th May.

Last years champ was 1up with a score of 391,300. Full results can be found here: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/40627-KONG-OFF-2011-KING-OF-AA-play-here!

Want to see how you compare to the rest of the world? Head over to http://www.twingalaxies.com/

Current MAME world record is held by Dean Saglio with a score of 1,167,400

Current Arcade world record is held by Hank S Chien with a score of 1,090,400

How do you compete?

ROM & DIP Switch Settings:

First, you need to make sure you are playing using the correct ROM and settings:

ROM: dkong.zip (US Set 1)

Lives: 3

Bonus Life: 7000

Additional Rules: Recordings are not necessary, scores are accepted on an honesty basis. The only additional rules are i) you are not allowed to pause the game during play, and ii) using SaveStates is not allowed. If it doubt over a tactic, please ask and you will be advised.

Submitting a score:

All we require is screen dump (Press F12 from within MAME) or a photo (please make sure the score is clearly visible if using a camera). Post as many scores as you like, but please post each new score in a new post to make progress updates easy to track.

If you wish to submit a score to Twin Galaxies you will need to record your game using WolfMame. Why not record your scores and submit your best to Twin Galaxies at the end of the competition and show the world just how good Aussie Arcaders are. More information on submitting scores to Twin Galaxies can be found here:

http://forums.twingalaxies.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8772

Let the fun begin! Progress updates with be posted here as the tournament progresses.

Kong Off 2012 Leaderboard - Last Updated 8:15pm 21/5

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Rank

[/TD]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]Score

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]kane[/TD]

[TD]458,700[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]John73[/TD]

[TD]266,000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]ED_209[/TD]

[TD]210,900[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]RMacauley[/TD]

[TD]205,600[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]ting ting[/TD]

[TD]190,200[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]Pelly[/TD]

[TD]174,100[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]nicko71[/TD]

[TD]151,700[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]mamejay[/TD]

[TD]120,100[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by John73

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

0001.png.c4509842073eee04c343819d23653bd4.png

Pitiful, but that will do as a starting score. My eyeballs are hanging out of my head from working all weekend, I'll give it a decent shot in the morning before work if I wake up earlier enough :)

Decided to grab my chance to lead this thing. Not that it'll last too long. Had all 4 lives going into L4. Died twice on 4-1. Once to 3 awkwardly spaced barrels and once to a heat seaking wild barrel. The other 2 lives were lost on the dreaded L4 elevators.

dkong.png.aa7ba44f62f2f819ce1133f09cf75206.png

First game - 151,700 a bit rusty.

Second game - 387,700 feeling good for a big score this comp.

Short lived, but you were winning this... even if it was only for 53 minutes Rob :lol

No surprises here, but kane nearly knocks off last years winning score in the first 3 hours of the tournament :023:

Well I managed to hold top spot for 53 minutes. :lol

Decided to have another go maybe try for 90K or 100K if I got lucky. Died once on L3 elevators. Can't actually remember the second death but it was before the L4 elevators. Made it to the safe spot, waited then made it up the bloody ladder first time! :D

Got to L5 elevators with a new PB of 119,200 and decided to grab the prize for an even 120K. Figured that was all I would score and L4 was a fluke. Made it to the safe spot, waited then made it up the bloody ladder first time again!

L6. Made it to the safe spot, waited then did it again. Up the ladder first time. Third death on 6-5 and final death on the L6 rivets.

Right now I sit here with a new Donkey Kong PB thinking "what the #@%$ just happened." And yes the game was recorded.

Cheers

Rob

dkong.png.f59f9dc4be59d6a1024da624d2d62fda.png

dkong.png.28374f22375ada72fde69b75646266da.png

What an ugly game that was. Died in some really stupid places as you can see on my screen shot :huh: Copped way more than my fair share of wild barrels, flaming barrels climbing quickly too the top of the barrels stage and firefoxes being extremely uncooperative on the rivets level.

Should keep the recording though, pulled a move on level 4-3 that the pro's would be proud off - so excited with the move that I died straight after it :lol

Might get time for one more game this morning, then I'll probably have to wait until tonight to give it another go :)

Just to make us all feel better about our DK skills, Dean Saglio has just had this score verified by TG:

Score: 619,200 / Points

Player: Dean Saglio

Date Achieved: 05/06/2012

Not bad considering this was the No Hammer variation of the game :lol

Just to make us all feel better about our DK skills, Dean Saglio has just had this score verified by TG:

Score: 619,200 / Points

Player: Dean Saglio

Date Achieved: 05/06/2012

Not bad considering this was the No Hammer variation of the game :lol

Yeah, that's a fine score, I wonder if that's up to the kill screen or not, it'd have to be pretty close I think...

Yeah, that's a fine score, I wonder if that's up to the kill screen or not, it'd have to be pretty close I think...

Level 17 Rivets. Lost two of his lives before 200K which is a big tip: Never ever throw a game away, you only get 4 lives in DK but one of those lives could net you 300K (No Hammer) or 600K using the hammer. My best is only 243K, but I'm guessing the majority of the points in that game were on one life, you just seem to get into a rhythm in this game and can reel off 100,000 without even looking like dying.

First game in a about 3 weeks or so.. Thought I was only going to get around 100K but then found some rhythm and squeezed out another 75K.

Not sure how much DK'ing I am going to get in for the rest of the week. Diablo 3 comes out tomorrow and I have been waiting far too long to not have a good bash at it. This Kong Off has been nearly timed as bad as a wedding on Grand Final day :P

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38498[/ATTACH]

First game in a about 3 weeks or so.. Thought I was only going to get around 100K but then found some rhythm and squeezed out another 75K.

Not sure how much DK'ing I am going to get in for the rest of the week. Diablo 3 comes out tomorrow and I have been waiting far too long to not have a good bash at it. This Kong Off has been nearly timed as bad as a wedding on Grand Final day :P

Diablo 3? :rolleyes Blizzard lost the plot after Warcraft II :P :lol If that is your first up effort, then perhaps it is better for my final placing in this tournament if you stick to playing Diablo :laugh:

Never ever throw a game away, you only get 4 lives in DK but one of those lives could net you 300K (No Hammer) or 600K using the hammer.

My game yesterday was like that, I died at 15k, 50k, 350k and 387k.

I had another game tonight, no improvment only got 228k.

ED209_DK_210900.thumb.jpg.478a7aacc48867c3167795cd58d43c51.jpg

This one is definitely a new pb for me! :D

I'm really happy with this score. I so often seem to get stuck just before 150k (seriously - how many times can you end up getting to 149 and then die???) but this one just kept on going. Unfortunately because I'm playing on the cab at work I didn't even get to put my initials in. The monster score at the top of the image is another guy at work who says he'll probably submit a score in this comp at some stage.

Well, I didn't expect to crack the 200k mark so I'm delighted to be temporarily in 2nd place.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38543[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38544[/ATTACH]

Another pb:D was hoping to break the 200k barrier but got donked on the head with a barrel

Nice Marquee ! :)

Nice battle going on for 2nd place, Kane has sorta cleared out for the moment in 1st place though :lol

Bugger all time to play for me at the moment, working on a job application and resume which will be done by tomorrow night so I'll get stuck in this weekend. No work at all this weekend :D

Had a few goes last night and got nowhere. Seems harder at the end of the day. And after two bottles of wine.

Just had a go now (with the right level of coffee in me and midday alertness) and got 209k. Just short of my score yesterday! While disappointing to not pass it, I am glad to match it so I feel like it wasn't just a huge fluke.