The Future of the MGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barra View Post

I wouldn't be opposed to being able to use default AND TG settings (provided TG's are harder, which 99.9% are). I can't think of the downside here. The hardcore can play and submit to TG, the casual MGL guys can play whatever their cab is set to without having to record. Win/Win? Maybe we would place lower on the scoreboards due to settings? But if we're part of the hardcore, maybe we should just suck it up, its all fun after all.

That is a really interesting idea, a sort of handicap system for the elite Arcade gamers of using TG dips, and playing against casual gamers on standard dips. It's very likely you guys would still win, but it might provide a closer playing field for us casuals, and provide a situation where the casuals don't feel like they are a little athletics kid going up against Usain Bolt

Comment

I agree with any idea that includes default dips.
      Sometimes the MGL inspires me to beat PBs on my cab which is great, but my PBs are all default I have no desire to play 5 ships hard galaga.
      Track and Field one run through is an ok idea for a comp though and I don't think Commando was any different but Wonder Boy sucked on hard compared to default.
      BITD if you went to an arcade that had all the games set at TG settings you would not return.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Arcade mobile app
      Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

KISS
        Keep MGL's informal & fun and orientated around Personal Bests (PB's).
        The points system should match the informal nature of score keeping.
        "2 points per game system" would enable novices & experts to compete.
        * 1 point awarded to the player with the highest score.
        * 1 point awarded to players that beat their personal best.
        Prizes would be low cost mystery gifts (Including participant donations), No cash.

Input files are Mame version dependent and not even usable on every game - Video recording is really the best option if a "MGL Pro" comp is to be had.
        A "Pro" comp can have all the bells & whistles for handicaps & validated scores and all the things that make it harder for a casual gamer to participate.
        Prizes are anything goes provided score validation is secure.
        Last edited by ozfalcon; 28th April 2018, 02:46 AM.

Comment

The dip settings donít worry me either way as long as everyone is playing the same.

Sometimes a quick games a good game. Take Galaga, if it were on defaults it takes up so much time

Tutankhamun on hard is brutal but itís s challenge

Tomato, tomato

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade
          "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Comment

Just some ideas for MGL Pro
            MGL Pro qualification requirements
            1. Locked Mame Version and ROM file.
            eg. Current (0.196) WolfMame with links to Windows, Mac & Linux binaries.
            Must be run in throttle mode to avoid frame rate/game speed discrepancy.

2. Score / Game play verification.
            Scores submitted by image with video file available on-line for verification.
            Video to be captured with Open Broadcaster Software (Windows, Mac & Linux)
            For consistent video evidence across all platforms (Locked video recording specifications):
            464x372@60hz, Bilinear Filter
            x264 CBR @ 2500, Veryfast CPU Preset.
            Stereo Audio, Sample Rate 44.1khz @ 160Kb/Sec
            ts (Transport Stream) video container.
            Last edited by ozfalcon; 28th April 2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Dips are a bit subjective,
              I'd hate to play Commando on "Difficult" - It's hard enough on Normal.
              Though I don't find Wonder Boy all that much more difficult on Hard compared to Easy.

I'd prefer everyone play with the provided dips so we are all playing the same thing.

Dips should be subjectively chosen (eg. Harder to avoid marathon games or easier
              for games that are just coin eaters). I don't think MGL should follow TG's dips but if
              they match or there is minimal impact on using TG's dips then thats fine too.

Comment

its easy enough to create a track on tg with different dip settings. so if the dips are hard and not fun. its possible to create a new track and if 50 people are playing the game and even half those people submit an inp to tg. the new track would have more scores then a lot of games on there anyway.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
                sigpic

Comment

What about 2 "divisions" one for the hard core players on a set of rules that conform to TG and a basic one for the just some fun guys ?

Comment

Maybe just let OOO run these World Comps like he is as that is obviously what he wants to do, but in between world comps it would be nice to have an AA MGL Home comp, where we play default with just pics, only promoted on AA with scores only promoted on AA. Old school comp back to roots MGL with prizes of a virtual medal To me that would be the best of both worlds
                    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Or somebody could step up and run an old school comp and take the pressure off OOO.
                      When did MGL become so serious?

Comment

A thought occurred to me a few days ago that the main reason I haven't played in a MGL yet is that most of the games are not games I grew up with, and was thinking about looking in to possibly running a very back to basics honesty system (screen shots only ) on a set of maybe 5 to 10 games from the late 80s to mid 90s maybe of one manufatutre. what are people think of that idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
                          Only recently when it was spread from it's roots at AA to now encompass TG and apparently the whole world, AA now just features at the bottom of the banner with TG at the top

Comment

When Twin Galaxies, large cash prizes, and heaps more Arcade Elite got involved is when it became more serious I guess.

Maybe a Minor League MGL ? End of a season, the top performers from the minor league get promoted to the Worlds (if they want), and the bottom guys in the Worlds go back to the minor leagues

Comment

Or somebody could step up and run an old school comp and take the pressure off OOO.
                              Shirley you cant be serious....

I guess if you have a good thing, people enjoy it then you start to attract better players who want to beat each other while enjoying the banter that goes along with it. Snowball kinda thing

A lot like the early pinball comps used to be, a brew and a giggle, then someone turned up with a rule book and a roll of blue tape...

I still think the growth is a great thing, just need to manage it going foward

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade
                              "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Comment

iv been apart now of the MGL for almost 2 years and I love it even the games I don't I enjoy because I'm discovering new games I never new as a kid but the main thing that attracted to me about this competions was the honest policy take a screenshot and post so far I have not felt that anyone has cheated and I would hate to have to submit inps but with cash prizes it does bring trouble but I'm sure ooo will handle it and make the right decisions for everyone for the best video game tournament in the world

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X