Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MGL Mini-Comp Xmas 2013 - The Shmups Off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGL Mini-Comp Xmas 2013 - The Shmups Off!

The 2013 Xmas Shmups Off will kick off on Friday 6-Dec-2013 and end at 7pm on Sunday 5-Jan-2014.
    This is a 3 game mini-comp and all 3 games will be posted and start by 7pm. Then it's GAME ON!

I figured that since last Xmas mini-comp was 3 x Pacman maze games and players did not get to pick the games, I’d ask you this time around to nominate the games you want to play instead, just that the theme for this mini-comp is shootem ups, where it all began so long ago …

Settings for the Shmups Off:

1. Default DIP switches will be posted for every game.
    2. Points scoring will be the percentage system and everyone who submits a score will receive points.

Rules for nominating your games:

1. The Shmups Off will be a hidden favourites competition.
    2. Every player can nominate up to 3 different SHOOTEM UP games.
    Please only nominate shootem up games. What’s that you say? If the game shoots bullets, it qualifies. Anything else nominated is disqualified. Eg Gunsmoke is OK, Crush Roller is not OK.
    3. PLEASE DO NOT NOMINATE YOUR GAMES IN HERE OR PUBLICLY - To nominate your games you need to send a private message (PM) to the MGL organiser (OOO for The Shmups Off) with your nominations.
    Any game nominations posted in this thread will be deleted from this thread and the nominations will be disregarded. After you send your PM, you cannot change your nominations.
    4. Each game you nominate counts as one vote. In this way each person's vote is equal to every other person's vote.
    5. After nominations close, the 3 games with the most votes will be played. In case of a tie of votes, the game will be randomly selected from that tie group.
    6. More than one game in a series will be eliminated if they qualified on votes to ensure game interest and variety. Eg If Gradius II and Gradius III are nominated with equal votes or by chance, one of these games will be eliminated by chance.
    7. After nominations are closed, the 3 games to be played will be made public immediately.
    This is a four week shootout, so all games are up and you can play and improve your score on any game, any time.
    8. The following games are excluded from your nominations. If you include them in your PM, I have to remove the game - sorry !
    All games are out with the last 2 years of games.

Excluded games (yes I know many of these below are not shmups, but I added them anyway):

10 Yard Fight, Aliens, Anteater, Bosconian, Bubble Bobble, Bump n Jump, Burger Time, Crazy Kong, Donkey Kong,
    Double Dragon, Eagle, Elevator Action, Exzisus, Fantasy Zone, Fly Boy, Frogger, Galaga, Ghosts n Goblins, Grobda, Gyruss,
    Hyper Olympics, Ladybug, Lunar Rescue, Momoko 120%, Moon Patrol, Mr Do, Ms Pacman, New Rally X, Pandora's Palace,
    Pacmania, Pac n Pal, Popeye, Road Fighter, Roc n Rope, R-Type, Rygar, Snow Bros, Solar Quest, Space Chaser,
    Star Force, Time Pilot, Turtles, Tutankham, Uniwar S, Valtric, Xaind Sleena, Zoo Keeper,
    Wonderboy, Dig Dug, Pac-man, Pooyan, Mario Bros, Xevious, Amidar, Galaxian.

9. No bootlegs/clones of excluded games are allowed. (e.g. Pac n Pal is the same as Pac-Man and Chomp Chomp). If in doubt, nominate your game and it will be reviewed to determine if it is valid.
    10. Games must be playable on a standard cabinet - 1 joystick and 3 buttons maximum. Trackball games are out.
    11. Please nominate with the following in mind:
    It should be a game you love to play
    It was probably a game that was available in Australian arcades
    If you nominate you play, don’t nominate if you won’t play.
    Everyone at AA is welcome to play in the MGL, the more the merrier.
    12. Nominations close Thursday 5-Dec-2013 at 10pm.
    13. At the end of the MGL, I will post all the nominations made by members so you can see which games were in the pool of games.

Hit KLOV.com, check MAME, find your favourite killer shootem up games and nominate away by PM.
    General talk about what games may come up or what you may nominate is fine, however please remember not to nominate your games publicly.

The MGL Shmups Off nominations are now open ...

- - - Updated - - -

I just posted this thread and sairuk already sent me his selections.
    He nominated some really cool games, but I can't tell you now ...

Final Scoreboards ...

Congratulations to both RMacauley and Rat.
    For the championship, they played some brillant performances.
    Rob taking out 1st, 2nd and 1st and Rat 2nd, 1st and 4th respectively on the games scoreboard.
    In the 7 year history of the MGL, no competition was won by so few points ... 0.20 points!

OOO
    Last edited by OOO; 5th January 2014, 08:22 PM.

MGLXLIII - Arcade Firepower - on now!

https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/a...cade-firepower

1 minute later, Binkles nominates 3 interesting selections by PM.
    This is going to be a great mini-comp.

Comment

Is it ok if I post two scores? The boy we look after a couple of nights per week has been playing the competition games as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Binkles View Post
        Is it ok if I post two scores? The boy we look after a couple of nights per week has been playing the competition games as well.
        Yes that's fine.
        What player name should I use for the scoreboard? Please let me know.
        When you post his score, please clearly post his player name with the screenshot and state his score.

Comment

Put him down as Shadow

I'll make to differentiate our scores.

Comment

Originally posted by Binkles View Post
            Put him down as Shadow

I'll make to differentiate our scores.
            Shadow hey ... sounds cool
            Done!

Comment

Stuck for ideas? Try this

http://www.mamedb.com/category/Shooter

I'm not real good at shooters, but I'll give this a shot. Only got game in mind so far, and I'm positive I'll get slaughtered by almost everyone in it

Off to peruse the list and find two more games

Comment

Newb alert.. My nominations are in and looking forward to meeting you guys on the battlefield..

Comment

This years Christmas gift from AA.... Trigger finger

Comment

Subscribed too tired after N/S to nom ATM. Hey [MENTION=634]virtualgaz[/MENTION] are you going to join us in this one?
                    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Originally posted by moat View Post
                      Newb alert.. My nominations are in and looking forward to meeting you guys on the battlefield..
                      Battlefield? I'm more a couch type of guy, come over I'll provide beer

Comment

if we could only harness the energy of buttons being mashed over the coming weeks it would probably power the trip to claim that beer.. ::-)

solar power is old news..

shmup power!!

Comment

yeah, nice heads up Rat. I think my MAME is v.106. Should be fun (if the games drop right... and a nightmare if they don't!).

Comment

7.30pm Tuesday night ...

So far Binkles, Brad, sairuk, moat, John73, RMacauley, virtualgaz, Dkong and Mameshane have put in their nominations - EXCELLENT!
                            The potential line up looks great, but no games are decided yet.
                            2 days of nominations to go, what will the final 3 be ...

Comment

Rat and Fridgy have joined the fray with their nominations overnight ...

1 more day of nominations to go ...
                              Who else is game enough to compete in the Shmups Off?

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X