Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

CRT_emudriver help

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let the driver package restart Windows in test mode and reinstall the driver before you try running VMMaker.

The actual drivers don't install, he's using a compatible ATi X300 card. No other screens pop up after the window states that the drivers were not installed. I'm setting this up on Luke's behalf. Any reason as to why the drivers did not install?

You guys are on windows 7 right?

Yes, Windows 64 bit as 32bit has compatibility issues apparently. I've installed the drivers on my PC, running an ATi HD 5450 (discovered today that it isn't compatible) with Calmity's CRT_Emudriver. The drivers installed successfully, and my PC boots with the test mode splash on the desktop. I followed the guide on Arcade Otaku, each installation was carried out the same. For some reason, the drivers won't install on Luke's PC. And, the driver installation was run with admin rights.

In my experience with CRT_EMU, Windows 7 was more trouble than it was worth. I'd recommend sticking with WinXP X64, it offers the best compatibility and the easiest setup.

I had compatibility issues with Windows XP and my ASRock motherboard. I could manage to install all of the necessary drivers bar the USB drivers (these were the most important to me). But I could try installing Win XP on Luke's machine.

WinXP is the way to go with CRT_EMU, even though the new CRT_EMU apparently fully supports Win7 now, there are still people who have lots of issues. I've never had any issues with WinXP X64, the last PC I installed it on was an Asrock board with an i5 chip, can't recall the exact specs.

I have 4 setups working perfectly under Win7 64bit.

Your card is not supported for windows 7 CRT_EMU. I would suggest a 4350 or a 4650 from the HD 4000 family.

But the X300 is on the list?

No its not.

" Under*Windows 7, we support the Radeon HD 2xxx, HD 3xxx and Radeon HD 4xxx families, only for the 64-bit version of the operating system."

Gotta read everything very carefully when setting these machines up. All the info is here.

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewforum.php?id=1

Have to admit, I only checked Geedorah to see the compatible cards. That's where I've gone wrong. The X300 will only work under Windows XP 64 bit. Cheers matey, that's an easy fix.

Can you please link me to evidence of a performance boost in MAME using Win7 as opposed to WinXP X64? I always stick with WinXP, as for the first couple of years of CRT_EMU, it did not do low resolution switching properly on Win7. I continue to stick with WinXP X64 because I know exactly how to set it up and configure now. If there is proper evidence of a performance boost in Win7 for MAME64, I may look into it.

Thanks @Thamiel, it appears as though there are multiple schools of thought on this, even from Calamity himself. I will stick with XP for now, because the major issue raised appears to be due to incompatibility of modern motherboards with XP. I have not yet encountered that problem on my CRT_EMU builds, mainly because I am not using anything SUPER modern. It doesn't say anything specific about a performance boost in MAME, but one could surmise that better hardware compatibility could lead to a performance boost in Win7. I'll do a Win7 build next time I upgrade my MAME PC and see how it goes.

I'm a little late to the party, but yeah, the x300 is only for XP, with crt-emudriver.

I can add that there are a few cards not on the official list that WILL work, AFAIK ones that slot in between entries already there. I have an X200, for example, and it works fine.

I'm going to need to see the final build in action for this to all be worthwhile ;)

Thanks @Thamiel, it appears as though there are multiple schools of thought on this, even from Calamity himself. I will stick with XP for now, because the major issue raised appears to be due to incompatibility of modern motherboards with XP. I have not yet encountered that problem on my CRT_EMU builds, mainly because I am not using anything SUPER modern. It doesn't say anything specific about a performance boost in MAME, but one could surmise that better hardware compatibility could lead to a performance boost in Win7. I'll do a Win7 build next time I upgrade my MAME PC and see how it goes.

Yeah I wouldn't bother redoing things if you have a working setup you're satisfied with. I'm using new hardware and a couple other emulators aside from MAME so Win7 made sense on that account. Truth be told the only driver I noticed a performance improvement on was the cv1k stuff.

Next box you do though definitely give Win7 a crack, it's not that much harder than XP at all and can give you a lot more options. Additionally, groovymame development is mostly centred around it with Calamity hinting at some big changes soon.

The only driver I noticed a performance improvement on was the cv1k stuff.

That is the answer there .....

I setup crt_emudrivers & groovy mame on a i3 win7 hd4650 for the first time last week ,in half a day , done. I just have to work out a custom resolution for tgm3 and it will be sweet.

it really is . You just have to follow the steps carefully.

I think with my setup switchres is allocating the wrong res for ttx tetris.

SSFIV etc run sweet in 640x480. I read somewhere 640 x 360 is a widescreen res and I think that's what it really wants.Cos when it load's i get a "cant switch to fullscreen" prompt.

@Thamiel Do you know of an app or method to find out exactly what res a specific game is trying to run in ?