How do I get a simple MAME setup via bootable USB stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get a simple MAME setup via bootable USB stick

I would like to setup a bootable USB stick (or ideally CF or SD with CF adaptor) with MAME and ROMs and just wondering what the best and easiest way to do it would be.

I'm only wanting to run early 80's stuff and I don't have a grunty PC so want to keep it small and fast. It will be driving one of my NOS SVGA monitors in 640x480 or maybe 800x600

I use to run dos mame and arcadeos on a 90's toshiba laptop but it has recently finally died.

Any pointers most appreciated.

Have a look at GroovyArcade .. it runs a Live Linux setup... I'm sure it supports 31khz monitors but it is designed for 15khz though.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
      I would like to setup a bootable USB stick (or ideally CF or SD with CF adaptor) with MAME and ROMs and just wondering what the best and easiest way to do it would be.

I'm only wanting to run early 80's stuff and I don't have a grunty PC so want to keep it small and fast. It will be driving one of my NOS SVGA monitors in 640x480 or maybe 800x600

I use to run dos mame and arcadeos on a 90's toshiba laptop but it has recently finally died.

Any pointers most appreciated.
      Will CD be ok?
      You still need a mouse though

Comment

Originally posted by lordsnipe View Post
        Have a look at GroovyArcade .. it runs a Live Linux setup... I'm sure it supports 31khz monitors but it is designed for 15khz though.
        The last time I looked it only seemed to support the native res of the games, but I'll look again.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Boots View Post
        Will CD be ok?
        You still need a mouse though
        CD is complicated with the industrial style PC I have. It has a CF slot and some USB ports. Don't want to use a mouse, just arcade controls.

Comment

Use groovyarcade. Mount the ISO and run using daemon tools and have it start automatically when you power the PC on.

brad
          My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
            CD is complicated with the industrial style PC I have. It has a CF slot and some USB ports. Don't want to use a mouse, just arcade controls.
            You could copy it to USB, it runs MAME32

Comment

Originally posted by Boots View Post
              You could copy it to USB, it runs MAME32
              You should listen to BOOTS.....

Comment

Originally posted by Homepin View Post
                You should listen to BOOTS.....
                ???

Comment

I think I've been switched over to Abbotts NBN already because my download of the 550MB groovyarcade live cd is predicted to take 1.5days!

Does anyone have a faster way to download this

http://www.aburamushi.net/calamity/G...02.24-i686.iso

From this page

http://code.google.com/p/groovyarcade/

UPDATE:

Never mind, found a MUCH faster download here;

http://emulationrealm.net/modules/wf...d=749&lid=2382

Comment

OK, so that new link I found died around 160MB and now I can't access it any more. Any mirrors out there?

Comment

I downloaded yesterday fast enough from that site I want to load to a cf card
                      The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

Cf would be great for me too

This is the tiny motherboard I am trying to use

http://www.arbor-usa.com/catalog/dis...continued.html

Comment

I'm useing a slim pc got a 8 gig cf for it hopeing the sound works let me know how you go booting from the cf card or installing to it
                          The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

After about 10 attemps, I finally managed to download GroovyArcade ISO from the 1st link.

Then I created a bootable USB stick with the contents from the ISO using http://rufus.akeo.ie/

That's as far as I've gotten so far as my current CF card is too small

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                            Working...
                            X