Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom built MAME cab upgrade to RetroPie - lag problems

Collapse

Topics related to the hardware and software used in setting up a MAME cab IE. Jpac, frontend and OS

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom built MAME cab upgrade to RetroPie - lag problems

Hi all, first time posting in this section of the forum.

I've had a custom built MAME cab for a number of years and it's been fantastic. Never had much trouble with it and it runs everything great. Picture below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3422.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	1898690

Anyway, one thing that's always bothered me is that it runs on a PC. While this of course means it's got the grunt, it also means it's got lots of moving parts and something will fail one day. I wanted to remove that aspect from the equation and make everything solid state - hence me jumping on the recent special I spotted for a snazzy RetroPie 3 Model B (which included some SNES controllers which I'll chuck in a crate somewhere).

Downloaded a great big pack of ROMs, bought a decent sized 128GB SD card, dumped the pie image off the 16GB and put it on the 128GB and expanded the filesystem. All good so far. But before I tackle the MAME cab (I need to upgrade the LCD in it first), I decided to hook it up to my TV so my wife can play one of her favourite games - Yoshi's Island. She sits down to play and... It's a laggy mess. Choppy, slow, sound cutting and slowing. It was horrible.

All this time I built this up in my head as a fantastic new replacement for that PC in the MAME cab and it was a massive fail - it can't even play SNES games, I can't even imagine how bad arcade games would be?

So my question is: was I completely naive to expect the RetroPie to be my silver bullet? I had kind of expected these little things to be on par or surpass PCs from 6 years ago... Or if I have some configuration optimisations that could solve my problem, does anyone have any tips?

This doesn't sound right, never had issues with any platforms pre N64. Did you make a fresh sd copy of retropie?
    Donkey Kong build - https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthr...-replica-build

Comment

Definitely not the typical experience, something is wrong.

Try starting with a fresh clean install.
      SEGA love: | Nintendo love:
      PC Engine love: | Latest retro finds:

Comment

I have only recently purchased a raspberry pi and have been playing with it a bit on my tv. I found that I had to go into the settings of the NES and SNES emulators and change the resolution to that of the full hd tv otherwise I was getting lag, tearing etc... So could be a settings issue for you.

Although after playing with the pi I still find my 10 year old mame setup just works better. Easier to create custom lists, custom background theme etc...

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. It sounds like I need to mess around with the install and look at configuration. I'm glad to hear this is not a normal experience and that the Pi can do the job. Meanwhile if there's any other config tips people can offer I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Comment

Did you do a fresh install of latest version of retropie and add roms? Which emulators are you using, most systems have a few to choose from? I haven't had to play with settings for performance, not for the old systems.
            Donkey Kong build - https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthr...-replica-build

Comment

Another cause of poor performance is an inadequate power supply. If the Pi doesn't get enouhh juice it goes into a throttled mode. You can usually spot this by the presence of a lighting or rainbow coloured icon appearing sonewhere on the screen.

It's generally not wise to use pre-built images either, better off with a fresh install and configuring it yourself.

You can also play with overclocking with heatsinks and a fan.

The Pi will flawlessly run all 8, 16 bit and early 80s/90s Mame if running properly.

Oh and turn off any screen shaders.
              SEGA love: | Nintendo love:
              PC Engine love: | Latest retro finds:

Comment

Yep your model 3 should kill SNES games. My model 2 runs all SNES perfectly.

I went from running my Pi2 on an LCD to a large screen TV, you have to change some video output config settings if using a CRT, did you change anything in the setup ? As you will not get the correct video display if you didn't.

offhand I can't remember exactly what it is, but I think it's in the boot file, there is a video section. From memory, it's also commented in that file what to change, if you are using CRT.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                Working...
                X