Frontends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frontends

Just embarking on a cabinet... Thought I'd get the computer stuff sorted first... Also give me time to read and digest all the advice on these forums.

Got a AMD Duron 950 with XP, seems to run MAME32 fine, next question is frontend, but seem to be quite a choice out there.

I like the idea of a jukebox, as the cabinet will be in the rumpus and it can double up for music then.

GameEx looks like a good choice, but what do others use?

Also would 98SE be a better choice, after all the OS doesn't really matter and its smaller than XP?

Cheers
    Mike

Hello there Mike, Welcome aboard!

I'm almost positive your find what your looking for here!

Foot
    "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Comment

Originally posted by mikep2000 View Post
      Just embarking on a cabinet... Thought I'd get the computer stuff sorted first... Also give me time to read and digest all the advice on these forums.

Got a AMD Duron 950 with XP, seems to run MAME32 fine, next question is frontend, but seem to be quite a choice out there.

I like the idea of a jukebox, as the cabinet will be in the rumpus and it can double up for music then.

GameEx looks like a good choice, but what do others use?

Also would 98SE be a better choice, after all the OS doesn't really matter and its smaller than XP?

Cheers
      Mike
      Hi mikep2000.

Welcome mate.

If you want a windows MS OS then try win98 or a stripped XP (TinyXP).

Personally I like DOS. FreeDos is good http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthre...7086#post27086

Try Fraggals Boot CD, it tends to do most for you http://www.fraggals-boot.tk/

Front Ends? ah now theres along debate.

Enjoy!
      Ian
      The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

Frontends is like trying to compare Holden with Ford (Holden Rules OK)

Whatever suits your purpose is the best for you. Starting with the computer side of things allows you plenty of time to experiment with the various frontends available.
        The options are numerous all with pro's and cons.
        Look around at some of the completed cabinets and see what front end they used...

Comment

there is a good selection of FE`s here
          http://www.mamedownunder.com.au/
          The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

I just downloaded TinyXP a week or so ago. Haven't installed it yet but it's only 70MB (less if you get the version that doesn't have IE).
            Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Originally posted by microwrx View Post
              I just downloaded TinyXP a week or so ago. Haven't installed it yet but it's only 70MB (less if you get the version that doesn't have IE).

I have a few on tiny xp and it works well.

As for front ends I am very impressed with Atomicfe

Comment

I`use mamewah.. very happy with it.
                But i am sure there are probabally better, easier to configure frontends out there.

Smit

Comment

I was a MAMEWah user in my Windows days. Great piece of software.

Wah!Cade is a Linux clone of MAMEWah, and quite well done. It aims to even use the same config files where ever possible:
                  http://www.anti-particle.com/wahcade.shtml

But generall I use AdvanceMenu for the simple reason that I can force it to generate any 15KHz modes I like, which means I can get proper low-res graphics without awful interlacing:
                  http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/menu-readme.html
                  | |

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Tracy View Post
                    I have a few on tiny xp and it works well.

As for front ends I am very impressed with Atomicfe
                    THANKYOU GOD!!!!!!!

A MAME FRONT END I FINALLY GOT WORKING AND NO ISSUES SO FAR!!!! HOOORAYYYYYYYYY!!!!

I think I owe you a big sloppy kiss virgil when I see you mate mmmmmMMm

I tried and had a number of issues from stalling, missing dll's, wont run, can't see roms etc etc and yes I have all the latest files etc!

I have never used a front end until now. years ago I installed Mame32 and it was fine.

Problem Front Ends.

Advance Menu
                    Mamewah
                    EasyMame
                    Emuloader
                    MameFe
                    Turbo Mame
                    UltraStyle
                    Mamefe

Comment

Originally posted by wrx2hot4u View Post
                      I think I owe you a big sloppy kiss virgil when I see you mate mmmmmMMm
                      Mate,
                      In Qld we dont do that sort of thing, that only happens in Sydney.

Comment

XPlite will take a normal install of XP and strip the _ _ _ _ out of it. It is configurable and you can strip out most features at your choosing.

Do a search if your interested. TinyXP does it for you though.
                        The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

Originally posted by wrx2hot4u View Post
                          can't see roms
                          AFAIK MAME 0.107 introduced a few new flags that affect frontends, and some authors haven't updated yet. If you're stuck on a frontend with a new MAME build, try scaling back to 0.106 or earlier.

Assuming you're going to keep stuffing around now that you've found a working setup.
                          | |

Comment

TinyXP Help

Hi All,
                            I noticed you guys mentioning TinyXP earlier in this thread.
                            Any ideas where to download it from.. looked in google and just a whole heap of shit just comes up.. nowhere to download it though!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Smit

Comment

Got mine as a torrent. Can't remember where from. Some info though:
                              http://www.unlocker-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47842
                              Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X