Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

the little celeron 1 Ghz that could....

Depends on the game and the MAME build.

Go for an older build. Anything around 0.60 era will run a lot of games a lot faster. 1GHz no earlier builds will give you right up to CPS2 hardware at full speed without any issues.

What sort of games do you play the most?

Check out my MAME benchmarking site too:

http://benchmark.mameworld.net/

Add some benchies of your own!

does it have onboard sound if so what sort i have some ghost images of a dos OS running game launcher can give u over ftp if u like it is running mame084 and runs most of what i wanted

or i can burn to a cd and send u

The games i play most are the classics, Pacman, Zaxxon, Time Pilot, Tempest, Boulderdash, Bombjack, and the likes.

from memory the board does have onboard sound. i need to dig it out again from under my workbench.

Bah, then a 1G Celeron is overkill! My first machine ran all those and more with a P2 400 and 128M RAM on top of Win98SE (MAME version 70ish). I have another machine running a P3 500 with 256M RAM running the classics on XP Pro both machines with MAMEWah as the FE although I had also run the P3 with ArcadeOS as I had it prepped for my cocktail (ended up with MAME v30 just to be sure it ran OK though).

ok, i dug it oout.

it is a "spacewalker" mobo.

mv25 is the model of it and the bloody hdd has $h!t itself...

oh well.

it was old 10 gig hdd anyhow.

might get me a 2nd hand drive from cashies or something and load it up.

looks like the onboard sound is a via vt612a and runs full via chipset.

i can get via ftp rather then cd.

i have a 1.5 meg adsl connection.how big is the file?

or maybe even if u send it via http://www.yousendit.com/

Yep... Peale was the last person to pick up Vantage and try to take it somewhere better. Wish someone would take the mantle again and give it a run.

Remember there's also RAINE:

http://www.rainemu.com/

On average it requires around half the specs of MAME for the same titles. And it supports way more games.

You are by no means limited to MAME if you want to play retro titles. Sure, it's the most popular. But it's far from the only one out there. But it definitely is the slowest emulator around, ironically (due to the accuracy vs speed debate of course).

Ok guys will ftp the files tonight if anyone wants them pm me ill give you the ftp addy and password i will do a little txt doco to try explain how to use it if you do not have a boot cd i will put one of them up there too

the main thing is the sound drivers have a read of the docco i do up so far i have drivers for all soundblaster and ess isa cards and most onboatd via sound chips also some onboard yamaha sound chips

dave

Doesn't support Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss or Moon Cresta. Even worse than Vantage!

Shit on me... you're right! It doesn't!

I thought for sure they did. I guess... RAINE started life as a Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands emulator. It's a few years later along the video game timeline than MAME which started out as "Multipac" (ie: a Pacman/Puckman emulator).

Surely there has to be something that emulates Galaga on low-spec machines with rotate OTHER than MAME? The hunt begins!!!

[edit]

A good start:

http://caesar.logiqx.com/php/game_group.php?id=galaga

Checking out HIVE now to see what it's like...

SSE looks alright... wonder if it supports rotation?

http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~msilvius/sse.htm

Vantage does. The only game I must have in an emulator that Vantage doesn't support is Gyruss which is a pain but it'll still do for the couple of dedicated mini machines i am dreaming up (gotta use my 10 x 15" crt's somewhere).

• 1 month later...

is there a reason you cant use mame? i seemed to have missed something in this thread. heres what i got out of a 90Mhz laptop a litle while ago!:

ok, so the laptop is a gateway2000 solo. it is 90mhz about ten years old and runs win95. last night i tested out a few old school games to see what it could do. i deliberately picked only a few old games as im not patient enough to see what would happen if i tried to run street fighter or something

i used mame32 v36 11:

invaders- can go to 170% unthrottled. perfect play

pong (!) - about 90% and 9/60 fps. probably slow because its not an emulation as such

pacman- 100%. plays well

berserk- up to about 120% unthrottled, this drops to 40% when going to next level. with auto on its not too bad since it just drops a lot of frames. plays well.

astro invaders- can go to 170% unthrottled. firing sounds are dodgy, unthrottled or not.

asteroids- about 95% at 20/60 fps. quite playable. no sound. this version of mame is the last before alpha blending and as such should let vector games run faster. i dont even know what alpha blending is, just quoting what i read!

1942- approx 75% with 9/60 fps. not very playable and sound is a bit scratchy and echo-ey.

so there you go! anthing faster and you are definitely set for the old school stuff!