Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding of games to a cocktail machine

Collapse

Topics related to the hardware and software used in setting up a MAME cab IE. Jpac, frontend and OS

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Adding of games to a cocktail machine

    Gday there,
    I have a Cocktail style machine that features about 150 games. I know very little about the workings, however I would like to add a bunch more but am having no joy tracking down anyone who can help. Not sure of too much with the internals of the beast, other than i think its some sort of MAME (?) setup. It has computer type stuff on inside and when you turn it on flicks through one screen of computer jargon, then an image of a 3d winking pac-man, then loads up a scrolling menu feature with the header "Arcade Magic (Cocktail)" where you can select game from list to play. I would love to know if there is a way to add/subtract games from the list, add additional games (via cd-rom, software upgrade,other??) and where i can find/buy games and see whats out there.
    Any help at all would be awesome!!!!
    Thanks,
    Chris

    #2
    the first thing you need to find is what Frontend software it is running, this can be done by maybe posting a pic of your first menu screen or by connecting a keyboard and pushing Ctrl Alt Del and open task manager and see whats running and post a pic of that. Different frontends have diffeent ways to add or delete games etc.

    Comment


      #3
      is it a computer or a pcb

      Comment


        #4
        Sounds like one of my machines. PM me and I'll help you out.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by dungbeetle46 View Post
          the first thing you need to find is what Frontend software it is running, this can be done by maybe posting a pic of your first menu screen or by connecting a keyboard and pushing Ctrl Alt Del and open task manager and see whats running and post a pic of that. Different frontends have diffeent ways to add or delete games etc.
          why? if its mame on a pc he should be able hook up a keyboard. just hit the 'windows' button and find the mame folder. then just add/subtract roms from the roms folder...
          Danny Galaga- the man with no signature...

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by danny_galaga View Post
            why? if its mame on a pc he should be able hook up a keyboard. just hit the 'windows' button and find the mame folder. then just add/subtract roms from the roms folder...
            It doesn't run windows.

            I can help this guy out as it sounds like one of the machines that I've built. But it looks like he/she was a one post wonder.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by RetroGame View Post
              It doesn't run windows.

              I can help this guy out as it sounds like one of the machines that I've built. But it looks like he/she was a one post wonder.
              ah yes, that would be a bit of a bother then
              Danny Galaga- the man with no signature...

              Comment


                #8
                Hello, I just picked up an Arcade Machine with similar issues to this thread that was posted back in 2009.....it is a small tabletop machine with a Pentium 2 inside & what looks like a 256m compact flash card. It boots up and says Arcade Magic on the top of the screen with (Cocktail) in brackets. When you pick a game and launch it doesn't seem to do anything except come up with Abort, Retry Fail option, which leads me to believe that the CF card maybe broken, but it is booting into it, so weird.

                Wondering if you could help at all??

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by theshagking View Post
                  Hello, I just picked up an Arcade Machine with similar issues to this thread that was posted back in 2009.....it is a small tabletop machine with a Pentium 2 inside & what looks like a 256m compact flash card. It boots up and says Arcade Magic on the top of the screen with (Cocktail) in brackets. When you pick a game and launch it doesn't seem to do anything except come up with Abort, Retry Fail option, which leads me to believe that the CF card maybe broken, but it is booting into it, so weird.

                  Wondering if you could help at all??
                  take it to a computer guy its likely just had a battery failure on the motherboard and forgotten it doesnt need a keyboard or what its hdd settings are.

                  short term plug a keyboard in might help.

                  remember it thinks its a computer not an arcade machine trouble shoot it as a pc

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Appreciate the feedback, however the main battery is working fine, no HDD it is a Compact Flash card that plugs into a IDE port on the motherboard. Boots up fine but when game selection is on, just comes up Abort, Retry or Fail.....that is all. When you exit to DOS you can look at the contents of the flash but when you go to look in the ARCMAGIC folder them MAME it does the same thing.....very weird. I pulled out the Compact Flash card to put into a reader on my main PC but can't get it to even recognise.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Definitely sounds like the cf card is toast. I'm unfamiliar with these systems, all the ones I might build use a proper HDD but you'd need a new CF card and then at the very least the roms to match the version of Mame it's using. First question to ask is does it use a HDD as well?

                      Brad
                      My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

                      Comment


                        #12
                        cf might have once had multiple partitions ?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Wasting your time trying to resurrect this POS.

                          It will likely be far cheaper and certainly faster to buy a new multiboard - $60~199 will do it and you are up and running again.

                          One link here but there are dozens more:

                          Forbidden

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I have never seen a CF style system before.....I was hoping to extract the data off the card, but alas as I said it is not working in my flash reader. I am very familiar with other boards etc, was hoping to just get this working as is......without having to spend any extra $$'s on it.....

                            Comment


                              #15
                              That mobo is definitely way past it's time, chuck a P4 or later PC in it with a 20+ gig HD and run Mame with Mala frontend if you must have the ability to add games.
                              You could also run an Raspberry Pi but I know nothing about setting those up.
                              Otherwise just put a 60in1 or other multi board as previously mentioned.
                              Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

                              Comment

                              Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X