Who has used an LCD in a cocktail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has used an LCD in a cocktail?

Who has used one and were you happy with the results?

Just wondering about the angle of the screen and if an 8ms LCD is fast enough to minimise blurring/smearing.

Any good examples on the net? I have not found many with LCD's.

Originally posted by Darksoul
    Who has used one and were you happy with the results?

Just wondering about the angle of the screen and if an 8ms LCD is fast enough to minimise blurring/smearing.

Any good examples on the net? I have not found many with LCD's.
    I haven't, but with the eventual phase out of CRT's, LCD's will become more popular. Anything under 8ms and a high contrast ratio will fit the bill one would guess.
    The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

With a lowboy you would almose be directly over the screen (at 90 degrees).

With a cocktail both players would be more like 45 degrees, just wondering if the angle is too great and will result in poor viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksoul
        With a lowboy you would almose be directly over the screen (at 90 degrees).

With a cocktail both players would be more like 45 degrees, just wondering if the angle is too great and will result in poor viewing.
        Good point, not sure without actually doing it. Will be interesting to see what others chime in with.
        The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

I'm with Darksoul, for an upright OK.

For a cocktail, well I just grabbed an LCD at work and gave it a whirl and didn't like it, the screen looked dark in several places, almost had to be 90 degrees to see clearly.

Foot
          "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Comment

Comment

yeah, i just angled my lcd screen down to a cocktail point of view and it's horrible.
              sigpic

Comment

GRRRRRRR

That is what I thought about the angles. Pity really.

To save space is crucial in a cocktail --------> LCD would be ideal.

Comment

*please note the tongue in cheek*

Another solution would be to build a cocktail cab and paint a nice white area where the screen should be. Then put a projector right above it and aim it at the white painted area. No problem with heaps of space in the cabinet, and you get a viewable picture.

-ZXR

Comment

Think laterally Darksoul - if you plan to put it under tinted glass/perspex (which I recommend to cut glare from overhead lighting) then take a piece of that tint with you when shopping for an LCD to see whether it will look right........

If they won't let you try it then simply don't buy from them!

Cheers,
                    Chris
                    www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

mates got one in a mame cocktail cab which he thinks is the shizzle but the screen sucks ass as you cant see it from player one side lol!!!! unless you stand hahahahha!!

Comment

On a side note, Sega are now using LCD's in their Lindbergh cab's. I wonder if they have got "tweaked" LCD's to run under those conditions.

Comment

I'll 2nd the info on later generation lcd's, my computer monitor is a few years old and anything other than looking straight at it and the colours go all f*cked, where as my new bravia LCD tv, i can view it from almost side on and top and the colours and contrast/brightness are near perfect. I would say, if you are going to put a lcd in there, get a latest generation and buy a little more than standard spec - get a good one.

Matt.

Comment

I'll 2nd the info on later generation lcd's, my computer monitor is a few years old and anything other than looking straight at it and the colours go all f*cked, where as my new bravia LCD tv, i can view it from almost side on and top and the colours and contrast/brightness are near perfect. I would say, if you are going to put a lcd in there, get a latest generation and buy a little more than standard spec - get a good one.
                            Absolutely right. I got a new LCD monitor about 2 months ago and it has a MUCH wider viewing angle than my parents older LCD. Looking at mine side on, I can still read everything and the colours are ok, it's just a bit dark.

Comment

LCD's are soo cheap. Seems 17" are been fased out and 19" are entry level (almost)

CMV 19" from about $290
                              Samsung 19" from about $325

W.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X