Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Who has used an LCD in a cocktail?

Who has used one and were you happy with the results?

Just wondering about the angle of the screen and if an 8ms LCD is fast enough to minimise blurring/smearing.

Any good examples on the net? I have not found many with LCD's.

Who has used one and were you happy with the results?

Just wondering about the angle of the screen and if an 8ms LCD is fast enough to minimise blurring/smearing.

Any good examples on the net? I have not found many with LCD's.

I haven't, but with the eventual phase out of CRT's, LCD's will become more popular. Anything under 8ms and a high contrast ratio will fit the bill one would guess.

With a lowboy you would almose be directly over the screen (at 90 degrees).

With a cocktail both players would be more like 45 degrees, just wondering if the angle is too great and will result in poor viewing.

With a lowboy you would almose be directly over the screen (at 90 degrees).

With a cocktail both players would be more like 45 degrees, just wondering if the angle is too great and will result in poor viewing.

Good point, not sure without actually doing it. Will be interesting to see what others chime in with.

• Super Moderator

I'm with Darksoul, for an upright OK.

For a cocktail, well I just grabbed an LCD at work and gave it a whirl and didn't like it, the screen looked dark in several places, almost had to be 90 degrees to see clearly.

Foot

*please note the tongue in cheek*

Another solution would be to build a cocktail cab and paint a nice white area where the screen should be. Then put a projector right above it and aim it at the white painted area. No problem with heaps of space in the cabinet, and you get a viewable picture. :badgrin

-ZXR

Think laterally Darksoul - if you plan to put it under tinted glass/perspex (which I recommend to cut glare from overhead lighting) then take a piece of that tint with you when shopping for an LCD to see whether it will look right........

If they won't let you try it then simply don't buy from them!

Cheers,

Chris

• 1 month later...

I'll 2nd the info on later generation lcd's, my computer monitor is a few years old and anything other than looking straight at it and the colours go all f*cked, where as my new bravia LCD tv, i can view it from almost side on and top and the colours and contrast/brightness are near perfect. I would say, if you are going to put a lcd in there, get a latest generation and buy a little more than standard spec - get a good one.

Matt.

I'll 2nd the info on later generation lcd's, my computer monitor is a few years old and anything other than looking straight at it and the colours go all f*cked, where as my new bravia LCD tv, i can view it from almost side on and top and the colours and contrast/brightness are near perfect. I would say, if you are going to put a lcd in there, get a latest generation and buy a little more than standard spec - get a good one.

Absolutely right. I got a new LCD monitor about 2 months ago and it has a MUCH wider viewing angle than my parents older LCD. Looking at mine side on, I can still read everything and the colours are ok, it's just a bit dark.

I can just picture a LCD-based cocktail incorporated into a coffee table or something... you wouldn't need the big box extending to the floor (if just using it for home ie no coin box).

Table top

Monitor shelf a few cm's below that

PCB shelf a few cm's below that... maybe at the level of the control panel?

Power supply (or maybe controls) would be the biggest part

I can just picture a LCD-based cocktail incorporated into a coffee table or something... you wouldn't need the big box extending to the floor (if just using it for home ie no coin box).

Table top

Monitor shelf a few cm's below that

PCB shelf a few cm's below that... maybe at the level of the control panel?

Power supply (or maybe controls) would be the biggest part

Hmm, coffee table/LCD pinball machine!

• 4 weeks later...

A few notes from my experance..

I had had an older 15" Samsung NON-DVI lcd with 8ms and high contrast ratio. It looked ok... but one advantage it has... Which new LCDs don't. It would actualy run at 640X480 and lower. Alot of LCDs.. espacialy in DVI mode do not support the lower res's. You just greated with a blank screen saying "Current resiolution is not supported"!

Also industrial sunreadable LCDs are i think what Sega is using.. There not cheap.. But they have very wide viewing angles and contrats in unbelevable..

I have had a bit of experance with them ;)

Mrv.

I'd be more concerned about the ability of the CPU, memory and video card keeping up with the requirements of running the game correctly than the monitor's ability to display it accurately.

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of a CRT and LCD monitor running a MAME game to see how important 1/30th of a second is to the way a game plays?

I have noticed the effect here switching from a CRT to LCD, my scores suffered, that said after a few weeks of use I have found I've adapted to the LCD and it's all the same now, Samsung SyncMaster 753DF 17 inch CRT vs Samsung SyncMaster 713N, 8ms, 17 inch LCD.

Though the effect is real, does exsist, btw the CRT is connected to a Athlon 1333 vs a Sempron64 3100+ (1.8Ghz) for the LCD.

On a side note, Sega are now using LCD's in their Lindbergh cab's. I wonder if they have got "tweaked" LCD's to run under those conditions.

Also industrial sunreadable LCDs are i think what Sega is using.

I'm fairly certain Sega are just using bog-standard Samsung LCD monitors. Remember that Lindenbergh by spec generally spits out hi-def (1366*768) DVI. That's standard 720p viewing.

Plus most of the games being made by Sega at the moment are designed for one or two people per screen, sitting directly infront of the screen. The whole "viewing angles make LCD screens crap" issue isn't a problem when everyone's perpendicular to a screen.

LCD technology is getting better. I'm sitting infront of a bloody awful cheap and nasty "Polyview" (made by Chei Mei, who are better known as "CMV") 17" LCD. I can spin the thing almost completely parallel to my line of site (probably off by 15 degrees or so) and still make out the text on the screen clearly.

Some LCDs are worse than others. Before buying one, ask for a demo from the sales staff and see what it looks like when viewing at 45 degrees.