Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Screen for cocktail mame unit

Hey all,

Just wondering, is it possible to somehow split the screen for platformers for 2P so that that same screen can be viewed simultaneously from both sides of a cocktail unit?

Games like metal slug are a bit hard for the 2nd player to play upside down

Thanks,
    Matt

No. i don't know much about mame but i've never heard of anyone being able to do that.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mattbode1985
      Just wondering, is it possible to somehow split the screen for platformers for 2P so that that same screen can be viewed simultaneously from both sides of a cocktail unit?
      Yes. Someone has made a mirror-flip blitter for one of the MAME builds. It splits a vertical screen in two, and shows the same picture on both halves, oriented correctly for each player on the opposite side of the cabinet.

Let me google a bit and paste you a link...

[edit] Struggling to find the link. It was buried on BYOAC somewhere. Might make a post and ask if anyone can help.
      | |

Comment

Thanks for your help. I've been trying to look for ways too for a while... I guess I'll have to wait till I get (or make) an upright machine

Comment

Hey all,

Games like metal slug are a bit hard for the 2nd player to play upside down

Thanks,
          Matt
          What like this?

I believe Mame Plus may support this mode?

PowerMame intends to add this feature one day.

Here are some links regarding it:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38312.0

http://www.powermame.com/pmwiki.php?...kisCocktailFix

Hope these links help, let us know if Mame Plus does do this as I'm currently building a cocktail table and would like to use this feature myself.

Retro

Comment

well smak me down and call me francine i never even thought about that what a fking great idea im intrested to guess it will not be supported in dos though
            The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

How weird would that be, at the same time pretty cool...
              Wouldn't it look squished on a arcade / normal monitor though?

Comment

Remember most of those games are horizontal so they should actually look perfect like that on a vertical cocktail monitor, just really small (especially on a 14").
                Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Originally posted by RetroBorg
                  What like this?
                  Champion! That's what I was looking for. I had a funny feeling one of the smaller MAME builds incorporated the effect in. Just couldn't remember which one!

Originally posted by Savage
                  Wouldn't it look squished on a arcade / normal monitor though?
                  Originally posted by microwrx
                  Remember most of those games are horizontal so they should actually look perfect like that on a vertical cocktail monitor
                  Standard arcade monitor is 4:3 ratio. Split that in 2, and you've got 2 3:2 screens.

So no, they won't be in perfect ratio. If anything, the images will be stretched vertically (or squashe horizontally) by a tiny fraction. Probably not noticable however. People play games on widescreen TVs and with PAL borders all the time and don't notice.
                  | |

Comment

Yeah OK, not perfect, but looking at the screenshot it looks fine to me.
                    Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Yeh but doesnt matter if it isnt perfect sizing... i can just adjust the screen accordingly. This is exactly what im looking for Thanks for everbody's input

Comment

Originally posted by microwrx
                        Yeah OK, not perfect, but looking at the screenshot it looks fine to me.
                        Sorry, my comment above came out a bit blunt.

I'm in the same boat as you. Sure it's not perfect, but it looks cool and is a neat idea for vertical cocktail users wanting to play horizontal 2P games. It's one of those little things that actually makes emulation worthwhile.
                        | |

Comment

Found it in MamePlus. It is also now incorporated into the new build MAME 0.106u10.
                          Just set it in the video section in the GUI Menu and away you go!
                          Some cool new video options in the Video menu available now... rotate, screen modes, etc. very very handy and just what I was looking for!

Matt

Comment

Found it in MamePlus. It is also now incorporated into the new build MAME 0.106u10.
                            Just set it in the video section in the GUI Menu and away you go!
                            Some cool new video options in the Video menu available now... rotate, screen modes, etc. very very handy and just what I was looking for!

Matt
                            which build exactly??

Comment

Originally posted by elvis
                              Champion! That's what I was looking for. I had a funny feeling one of the smaller MAME builds incorporated the effect in. Just couldn't remember which one!

Standard arcade monitor is 4:3 ratio. Split that in 2, and you've got 2 3:2 screens.

So no, they won't be in perfect ratio. If anything, the images will be stretched vertically (or squashe horizontally) by a tiny fraction. Probably not noticable however. People play games on widescreen TVs and with PAL borders all the time and don't notice.
                              Man, how is the ratio of 4:3 different from 3:2. That is the same ratio in my book. If it was 3:1 or 3:4 I would say not but I fail to see what your saying?

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X