Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Split Screen for cocktail mame unit

Hey all,

Just wondering, is it possible to somehow split the screen for platformers for 2P so that that same screen can be viewed simultaneously from both sides of a cocktail unit?

Games like metal slug are a bit hard for the 2nd player to play upside down :)

Thanks,

Matt

Just wondering, is it possible to somehow split the screen for platformers for 2P so that that same screen can be viewed simultaneously from both sides of a cocktail unit?

Yes. Someone has made a mirror-flip blitter for one of the MAME builds. It splits a vertical screen in two, and shows the same picture on both halves, oriented correctly for each player on the opposite side of the cabinet.

Let me google a bit and paste you a link...

[edit] Struggling to find the link. It was buried on BYOAC somewhere. Might make a post and ask if anyone can help.

Hey all,

Games like metal slug are a bit hard for the 2nd player to play upside down :)

Thanks,

Matt

What like this?

http://www.powermame.com/uploads/Features/lockiscock2.jpg

I believe Mame Plus may support this mode?

PowerMame intends to add this feature one day.

Here are some links regarding it:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38312.0

http://www.powermame.com/pmwiki.php?n=Features.LokkisCocktailFix

Hope these links help, let us know if Mame Plus does do this as I'm currently building a cocktail table and would like to use this feature myself.

Retro

What like this?

Champion! That's what I was looking for. I had a funny feeling one of the smaller MAME builds incorporated the effect in. Just couldn't remember which one!

Wouldn't it look squished on a arcade / normal monitor though?

Remember most of those games are horizontal so they should actually look perfect like that on a vertical cocktail monitor

Standard arcade monitor is 4:3 ratio. Split that in 2, and you've got 2 3:2 screens.

So no, they won't be in perfect ratio. If anything, the images will be stretched vertically (or squashe horizontally) by a tiny fraction. Probably not noticable however. People play games on widescreen TVs and with PAL borders all the time and don't notice.

Yeah OK, not perfect, but looking at the screenshot it looks fine to me.

Sorry, my comment above came out a bit blunt.

I'm in the same boat as you. Sure it's not perfect, but it looks cool and is a neat idea for vertical cocktail users wanting to play horizontal 2P games. It's one of those little things that actually makes emulation worthwhile.

Found it in MamePlus. It is also now incorporated into the new build MAME 0.106u10.

Just set it in the video section in the GUI Menu and away you go!

Some cool new video options in the Video menu available now... rotate, screen modes, etc. very very handy and just what I was looking for!

Matt

Found it in MamePlus. It is also now incorporated into the new build MAME 0.106u10.

Just set it in the video section in the GUI Menu and away you go!

Some cool new video options in the Video menu available now... rotate, screen modes, etc. very very handy and just what I was looking for!

Matt

which build exactly??

Champion! That's what I was looking for. I had a funny feeling one of the smaller MAME builds incorporated the effect in. Just couldn't remember which one!

Standard arcade monitor is 4:3 ratio. Split that in 2, and you've got 2 3:2 screens.

So no, they won't be in perfect ratio. If anything, the images will be stretched vertically (or squashe horizontally) by a tiny fraction. Probably not noticable however. People play games on widescreen TVs and with PAL borders all the time and don't notice.

Man, how is the ratio of 4:3 different from 3:2. That is the same ratio in my book. If it was 3:1 or 3:4 I would say not but I fail to see what your saying? :unsure

Man, how is the ratio of 4:3 different from 3:2. That is the same ratio in my book. If it was 3:1 or 3:4 I would say not but I fail to see what your saying? :unsure

What?????

4:3 mean the horizontal is 1.33333333333333 times the vertical whereas 3:2 means the horizontal is 1.5 times the vertical.