Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nore help - what front end would suit me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nore help - what front end would suit me?

Hey guys,

I am after some mame help. Thought I would post as much detail as I can about my cabinet, choice of games and PC specs.

I bought a lowboy ( see attached photos) and I am interested in putting in a simple Mame setup. I will using both an arcade VGA and a JPAC.

My computer that I have to use is

P3 500
    256 ram
    10gig HDD

It currently has no operating system, but I have the choice of 98se or XP. ( should I upgrade my Ram?)

I don’t want my cabinet to have heaps and heaps of games. 20 is about how long the list is. Games like

Double dragon.
    Final Fight
    Bubble Bubble
    Golden Axe
    Shonbi
    Kung Fu Master

I think the most complex games I want are NBA Jam and Street Fighter 2.

Now this is where I need some help. What front end system should I use? I should stress that I am not overly concerned about what the front end looks like – as long as it’s simple to select games and is reliable.
    (also want to use coins – which I am guessing the front end doesn’t have a lot to do with)

I have no experience in the front end of Mame – I just use DOS on my laptop at the moment. If anyone has good websites that guide you through the setup of a particur front end that would be great.

Overall I want something simple, effective and reliable. I have a good understanding of computers but don’t have any programming experience. Willing to do over-time to make sure it runs well.

If anyone has any experiences and could point me in the right way that would be great.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PRKLCD; 2nd July 2006, 04:43 PM.

i use game launcher it has a windows based exe and a dos based exe i use the dos one and find it great
    http://www.dribin.org/dave/game_launcher/
    The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

Mame32

Hi There!

I use MAME32, a windows based front end. It has many options configurations. You can download enhancements, such as cabinet pix, game history etc... I havent had any problems with it. Good luck!!

link: http://mame32.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

Comment

MameWah - The dude who designed MameWah designed it around those using a J-PAC and ArcadeVGA by the sound of the e-mails I received from both him and Andy from Ultimarc.

Gamelauncher also has a good rep.
        Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

If you want somthing simple, effective and reliable with a PIII 500, forget windoze use DOS 7 and Gamelauncher. Also you will need to use an older version of mame, say V.36 final. This would only need 64Mb of ram and will run at full speed (you might struggle with NBA jam)

Comment

Originally posted by RetroGame
            If you want somthing simple, effective and reliable with a PIII 500, forget windoze use DOS 7 and Gamelauncher. Also you will need to use an older version of mame, say V.36 final. This would only need 64Mb of ram and will run at full speed (you might struggle with NBA jam)
            i run dos mame 084 fine with glaunch runs pretty sweet i found when i go to use 100 the load time is increased????
            The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

This might be useful:

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Front-Ends

I use GameEx but that is CPU intensive and unlikely to run well on your system. Would AdvanceMenu be a better choice? I've never tried it as it was quite complicated from the outset to setup.

Cheers,

Comment

I use mamewah and really like it. It runs well on older PCs, supports alot of emulators and is specifically designed to be used in an arcade cab. It is highly recommended over at BYOAC.

I must admit that i have only played around with 4 or 5 other frontends at the most.

Smit

Comment

Fraggal's BOOT CD

New features to 4.02.F:

- Completely new install interface
                  - AdvMAME 0.97.0
                  - Dos Mame 0.100
                  - ArcadeOS 2.51
                  - ArcadeVGA support
                  - Fixed goofy random bugs here and there
                  - ArcadeOS "UPDATE.BAT" support!
                  - Several more options for installation.
                  The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

with this fraggals boot cd

does it mean you do a fresh install so you dont have windows on your computer?
                    you just have dos mame and the front end?

or is it a cd you leave in the cd drive and when the computer turns on it loads up the frontend and mame instead of windows?

mike

Comment

You don't have to have anything installed. RAW Hard drive, pop the disc in and away it goes. You remove the CD when finished.

Comment

I'm certainly going to give the new Fraggal boot CD a go when I finally get around to testing for my next cab.
                        Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

so do you recomoend it over something like mamewah?

with the fraggal cd, ive downloaded it, now do i just burn it to a cd as data, or is there a special way to burn it?

Comment

Originally posted by miikeboyle
                            so do you recomoend it over something like mamewah?

with the fraggal cd, ive downloaded it, now do i just burn it to a cd as data, or is there a special way to burn it?
                            I have never used mamwah so I can't really comment there. With the fraggal's boot cd, you just burn the iso image and your set to go.

Comment

Its hard to look past GameEx

http://www.tomspeirs.com/gameex/default.aspx

its got everything you could possibly need and more.
                              Its easy to use and looks slick

Check here for front end links

http://www.mamedownunder.com.au/frontends.htm

3d arcade is another one to look out for
                              http://3darcade.mameworld.net/

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X