Best MAME Frontend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best MAME Frontend

With getting the computer for my mame machine working and sent back to the coast this weekend, i thought i should ask, what is the best mame front end to use?

I am wanting something that not only looks good, but will allow me to run mame, nes, snes, sega(old school stuff, not dream cast), gba, gbc, n64 and ps1 from it, aswell as a good jukebox program. i was thinking game ex but some people have said it runs laggy at times. i will be using a 2ghz processor (would normally be 2.4 but for some reason runs as slow as my 400mhz amd processor running xp, but will try to fix that when i go back to the coast in 2 weeks), 1 gig of ram and 60 gigs of hdd space including windows xp home. i am wanting to just run the music for the jukebox via a shared music folder over the network which will be shared from my comp with my itunes folder. so yes, what do you guys think is best?

My vote, Mala + DWJukebox (Wincab) for Jukebox (which you can launch from mala)
    My Projects
    sigpic

Comment

yea its a win cab so dwjukebox sounds good, but mala looks like it wont let me boot other emulators from within it and when they exit, go back to mala

Comment

Mala lets you run all sorts of emulators (and with a little fiddling, all sorts of apps that aren't even emulators).

What would you want it to exit to, if not the front end?
        My Projects
        sigpic

Comment

I use Mame32, it's OK

But I am also looking. . .

Should be interesting what others think . . .
          Regards

Dez

DSB Electrical
          DSB Electrical Facebook
          VAPS
          Vector Monitor Repro Parts
          Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

Comment

MALA will run anything u throw at it.

I use it in my mame cab and my jukebox.
            In the juke its running a SKJukebox, Ultrastar Deluxe ... and GLTron.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamC View Post
              MALA will run anything u throw at it.

I use it in my mame cab and my jukebox.
              In the juke its running a SKJukebox, Ultrastar Deluxe ... and GLTron.

So do you leave mame there and link it from MALA, or import all the ROMS from Mame to MALA?
              Regards

Dez

DSB Electrical
              DSB Electrical Facebook
              VAPS
              Vector Monitor Repro Parts
              Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

Comment

No Mala is just a front end, that gives you nice graphical menus and a consistent interface for whatever programs or emulators you run.

Eg I have one game list for all the MAME games with a picture of an arcade cabinet, one for all the gameboy games with a picture of the gameboy, and one for Music (guitar hero, singstar, jukebox etc) all appear as 'game choices' on that particular menu.

You go into the game/application, and when you press ESC you return to MALA. Optionally, if you press ESC in MALA, you can shut down the PC. You never need to see anything else.
                My Projects
                sigpic

Comment

awesome, so mala is good? is it easy to skin?

Comment

Of all the frontend that I tried, I found MAMEWAH to be the best/easiest for what I use...
                    http://mamewah.mameworld.net/

It does a good job of setting up lists and I have it running a few different emulators such as Daphne.

The hardest part of any FE is finding a decent looking skin... alot of crud out there...
                    My WANTED list...
                    Bubble Bobble PCB - Your love
                    Many Thanks to SectionZ
                    sigpic

Comment

if you want the best of the best, you want GAMEEX

Gameex kicks arse in a big way.

Its a piece of piss to setup and supports damn near every console under the sun as well as plays dvds, cds, connect it to the net and get weather, news , online radios broadcasts, the works....

GAMEEX IS DA BOMB!!!!

get it here
                      rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on
                      if your new to electronics and

Comment

Originally posted by dezrae View Post
                        if you want the best of the best, you want GAMEEX

Gameex kicks arse in a big way.

Its a piece of piss to setup and supports damn near every console under the sun as well as plays dvds, cds, connect it to the net and get weather, news , online radios broadcasts, the works....

GAMEEX IS DA BOMB!!!!

get it here
                        +1 Tried em all GameEX is the best all in 1 solution for windows, no adding on crap to play vids and mp3s it does it all.

Comment

Yes but you pay the price in either money OR a 30 second delay then the performance hit especially if your machine isn't fairly new. I agree though it is a damn impressive frontend.

Brad
                          My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

Virgil put me onto atomic fe which is great but i use mamewah on my machine and its awesome.

Comment

i like atomic FE. when i get my cab down from darwin i will set it up with that (i just had mame32 on it)
                              Danny Galaga- the man with no signature...

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X