Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

I have setup Mamewah as the frontend on my MAME PC and I am slowly working my way through the ROMset. I have noticed that some ROMs are not displaying in Mamewah even though I have not set any filters (e.g. clones, manufacturer etc). How does Mamewah determine which games to display in the list? :unsure I thought that all ROMs would be displayed but their status (working, not working etc) would be dependant on the version of MAME installed, but it seems that the game list is generated directly from MAME itself? :unsure I have MAME version 0.100 installed so does that mean that Mamewah won't show any ROMs created after v0.100? :unsure

Matthew

Thanks for posting the link, but it hasn't helped. The problem is not that MameWah doesn't show any roms but that it doesn't show ALL the roms, and I am trying to find out how the rom list is generated :unsure This may not be a Mamewah-specific issue, I have a feeling all front-ends behave in the same way.

Matthew

• Administrators

Okay I haven't updated mamewah since version 1.61 using Mame 0.92 but the later versions have issues with Mame's XML

As for displaying roms, theres 2 ini options from memory on displaying clones etc. Change 1 of them and then regenerate the list to see what affect it has. I'm at work so cannot check my setup. I know that these 2 settings do affect which games are displayed.

Cheers,

Brad

Okay I haven't updated mamewah since version 1.61 using Mame 0.92 but the later versions have issues with Mame's XML

As for displaying roms, theres 2 ini options from memory on displaying clones etc. Change 1 of them and then regenerate the list to see what affect it has. I'm at work so cannot check my setup. I know that these 2 settings do affect which games are displayed.

Cheers,

Brad

Just as an example, I have the 10yard.zip rom in my MAME roms directory. According to MAWS, the version of this rom is 0.108u5. Since I am running MAME v0.100, will I still be able to see this ROM in the MameWah game list or will it not be displayed because MAME does not know about it? :unsure

Matthew

• Administrators

The list is a static list. It's generated based on the version of mame your using and has nothing to do with Mamewah.

So your list MUST match your Mame version for ROM NAMES at the very least.

the reason is that when mamewah starts a mame game it passes the rom name in the command. In fact ALL frontends do.

Now the list display does not need to match the rom name. Theres an option that displays the game name in the list rather than the rom name but when it passes the command it knows the actual rom name.

brad

The list is a static list. It's generated based on the version of mame your using and has nothing to do with Mamewah.

So your list MUST match your Mame version for ROM NAMES at the very least.

the reason is that when mamewah starts a mame game it passes the rom name in the command. In fact ALL frontends do.

Now the list display does not need to match the rom name. Theres an option that displays the game name in the list rather than the rom name but when it passes the command it knows the actual rom name.

brad

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to get this straight in my head. Let's say I have 100 roms in my MAME roms directory, of which 75 of those roms are v0.100 or earlier. Since MAME v0.100 does not know about the other 25 roms, will the game list in MameWah contain only 75 roms or 100 roms? :unsure

Matthew

• Administrators

Correct well if I interpreted your question correctly. The list is generated by the version of mame that you ran the List Generation on.

So for example:

I have 100 roms from Mame version 0.100.

The version of Mame I generated the list against was Mame Version 100

I then add new roms from Mame 0.101 BUT I don't generate a new gamelist. Those new roms are NOT displayed in the list.

Just remembered the other value. You can set it to generate a list based on different methods. Rom folder or the other. Rom folder is of course based on the rom directory. Other can't remember but mame generated ot something.....

Brad

Correct well if I interpreted your question correctly. The list is generated by the version of mame that you ran the List Generation on.

So for example:

I have 100 roms from Mame version 0.100.

The version of Mame I generated the list against was Mame Version 100

I then add new roms from Mame 0.101 BUT I don't generate a new gamelist. Those new roms are NOT displayed in the list.

Just remembered the other value. You can set it to generate a list based on different methods. Rom folder or the other. Rom folder is of course based on the rom directory. Other can't remember but mame generated ot something.....

Brad

We'll get there in the end ;)

Can I somehow get the roms that are currently not displayed in the game list in MameWah to appear in the list, regardless of what MAME version I have installed? I have just found a rom (10yardj.zip) that is not being displayed in the list even though MAWS shows it as v0.027.

Matthew

I changed the list_generation_method from rom_folder_vs_listxml to rom_folder and attempted to regenerate the list, but the roms are still not appearing. I have changed the setting back to rom_folder_vs_listxml but still face the same issue :(

Matthew

• Administrators

Like I said I can't remember but select the option to show clones. the Jap version of 10yard fight is listed as a clone. Mame generally though not always lists the US version as the parent.

Brad