Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My proposal for my MAME cabinet

Hello All

I have a NEO GEO 2 slot cabinet with working screen and controls. The motherboard however doesn't seem to be working.

I have been doing ALOT of reading and I now have a fairly good idea of how I'm going to turn this thing into a MAME cabinet. I want to leave it so that I can turn it back into a standard cabinet in the future (I might build my own MAME cab in future).

Here is my proposal, please provide me with some feedback/pointers as I want to get this right first time:

1. In order to be able to use the cab again as a standard NEO GEO cab, create a JAMMA to MVS interface following these instructions (http://www.hardmvs.com/html/jammaAdapt.htm).
    2. Use an ArcadeVGA and J-Pac to drive the monitor and controls.
    3. I'm not sure of exactly how to power the monitor, I've read about an isolation transformer but I don't know how it works. I would appreciate some help here. If I'm using the J-Pac can I simply power the monitor using the cabinet power on switch?

Hope you guys can take some time to give me some feedback, I can't wait to get started on my cab

Originally posted by Vicked
    3. I'm not sure of exactly how to power the monitor, I've read about an isolation transformer but I don't know how it works. I would appreciate some help here. If I'm using the J-Pac can I simply power the monitor using the cabinet power on switch?
    Hi Viked,
    You can run the power cable out through the same hole as the arcade cable (might be tight fit) or connect it directly to the I/O switch on the back of the cab.

Rob

Comment

Hope you guys can take some time to give me some feedback, I can't wait to get started on my cab
      Most cabs have a stepdown transformer in them. It's usually got the power cord for the machine (and therefore 240V) wired in at one end and the other splits off into two (110V). One goes to the monitor and the other to the cabinet power supply (that supplies your 12V and 5V). Although I didn't experience any problems just leaving it the way it was there is some discussion that the J-PAC won't like the 5V from the JAMMA connector so they suggest disconnecting the power supply from the JAMMA or removing it altogether and powering your 12V items (marquee lights and coin mech's) from your PC power supply.

The arcade monitor needs the 110V from the stepdown transformer regardless so it must stay. The only decision is what to do about the 5/12V power supply. Keeping in mind if you remove it you can't use your JAMMA/Neo-Geo boards again I'd leave it the way it is. If you are really worried I suppose you could wire in a switch to the JAMMA/MVS harness you are making that allows you to turn off the 5V on demand and ensure it doesn't get to the J-PAC.
      Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Great.

So I can basically just use the power switch in the cabinet for powering the monitor, if I just ensure that the 5v and 12v don't reach the J-Pac.

Microwrx - Are you using a J-Pac with the 5v and 12v connected? And its working fine?

Comment

Great.

So I can basically just use the power switch in the cabinet for powering the monitor, if I just ensure that the 5v and 12v don't reach the J-Pac.

Microwrx - Are you using a J-Pac with the 5v and 12v connected? And its working fine?

Hi Vicked,

<snip from my site: http://www.thepinnyparlour.com/jammacocktail.html >

I'm going to keep the JAMMA harness in this and use the JPAC as it will double as a MAME beast and a JAMMA platform.

To make it run Mame when not using a JAMMA PCB, I just disconnected from the cabinets power supply the following:

+5
          +12

I have left the other wires connected so that the monitor powers up only and it is grounded. (Last thing I need is to die from electric shock). To use a JAMMA PCB I reversed what I have just done
          The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

What is the benefit of using an Arcade Monitor over a PC Monitor?

I have a 21" PC Monitor I could use in the cab.

As I see it, it would require me moving the arcade monitor out (discharging etc which looks DAUNTING) and putting my monitor in (again discharging). It would obviously render the cab useless as an original, but would save me $250 in ArcadeVGA and J-Pac costs.

In future I may build myself a cab and put a computer in, so I'm hesitent to spend the $250 if I won't need the parts in the future (will maybe need the J-Pac).

I also want to play other emulated games, such as the mighty Amiga. Will the Arcade Monitor be a problem for this?

Comment

I had my 4 player machine setup so player 1&2 ran off the J-Pac wired to JAMMA with an ArcadeVGA and still had the power supply wired in as well. I ran it full time for at least 12 months like that and on the odd occasion plugged in PCB's to play also. Never had a problem. However there are apparently several websites where there are reports of the J-Pac being adversely affected by the 5V from the power supply hence the warning.

There is nothing wrong with using a PC monitor. They work fine but some will say they work too well and do not give the feel of the original game as the graphics are too crisp. I am about to install a 21" PC monitor into my next upright MAME machine and will not be using the JAMMA harness. If you take out the arcade monitor then you may as well gut the machine and just use an I-PAC or KeyWiz for the keyboard interface. Sure, you could use a J-Pac but the only benefit you'll get is not having to rewire the CP which isn't much benefit for the extra $$'s (in my opinion).

If you even think you may want to be able to plug the Neo-Geo motherboard back in stick with the arcade monitor and pay the extra for the ArcadeVGA and J-Pac. Otherwise rip it all out which is what I'd do after being down both paths previously and about to do it again (PC monitor).

I can't comment on other emulators.
              Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Originally posted by microwrx
                ...I am about to install a 21" PC monitor into my next upright MAME machine and will not be using the JAMMA harness. If you take out the arcade monitor then you may as well gut the machine and just use an I-PAC or KeyWiz for the keyboard interface....
                This is the exact setup I use and it works fine for me.
                I (as well as all my mates) cannot tell the difference between a game running on my mame cab and a dedicated cab.
                I must admit though, I am not that pedantic when it comes to these type of things. Some other people on these forums can probabally see alot of differences between the two setups, but I cant, so I would recommend using a PC monitor with a standard PC graphics card. Like microwrx was getting at, it will save you alot of money.
                But then again, you have to gut the machine...... tough decision.

Smit

Comment

My concern with gutting the machine and putting the 21" monitor in is the discharging of the monitors.

Has anyone done this before? I've read about the screwdriver method with the alligator clip. I've also read some people saying - "don't worry, its easy" and others warning about how dangerous it is.

Comment

My concern with gutting the machine and putting the 21" monitor in is the discharging of the monitors.

Has anyone done this before? I've read about the screwdriver method with the alligator clip. I've also read some people saying - "don't worry, its easy" and others warning about how dangerous it is.
                    i`ll probably get shot for this but i have made a few cabs and never realy bothered with discharging the monitors i just handle them by the mounting brackets and steer well clear of the hi voltage lead and socket but thats just me
                    The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by davefjedi
                      i`ll probably get shot for this but i have made a few cabs and never realy bothered with discharging the monitors i just handle them by the mounting brackets and steer well clear of the hi voltage lead and socket but thats just me
                      ****, I gave up on Mame ages ago because I feel I conquered it then moved on BUT **** I gotta post now.

*loud speaker on* DAVE...... This is the saftey POLICE! Please step away from the monitor and come out with your HAAAAANDS UP!

Wowww you got 1 big shlong my friend or no brains. Not sure which?

There is around 30,000 volts running around inside a monitor at any given time. When its powered off, depending on monitor type/age it will drop but can still KILL you! I have been lucky and never got zapped!

Message to Nooobs!

IF YOUR NOT SURE WHAT YOUR DOING! DON'T DO WHAT DANNY DON'T DOES!

If your going to do it anyway I would suggest.

1. Leave the machine turned off over night before attempting to discharge and remove.
                      2. Earth a looong flat blade screw driver which is approved for large voltage ratings with a rubber handle to the monitors metal chassis.
                      3. Slide it under the flyback plug and be sure NOT to hold the monitor with the other hand!.
                      4. You may hear a clicking noise, that is the spark you are making by earthing the tube.
                      5. Don't discharge it once, hear the zapp then think its all ok COS not so, it can need to be discharge lots of time but normally no more then 2 or 3. Keep on earthing the flyback plug hole on the monitor until no zapps can't be heard.
                      6. Very carefully sqeeze the back of the flyback plug to unhook it from the tube!
                      7. Still don't touch the hole on the tube that is then exposed!
                      8. REMOVE the tube with care!

Comment

$150 for an arcade vga card sounds like good value to me
                        Man cannot live with just one pinball.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks wrx2hot4u, I have seen those instructions before and have the detailed instructions at hand. I'm confident I can handle that.

@Shock_and_awe

It is good value and it is a great card, but I think in the future I will build a custom cab with computer monitor so then the ArcadeVGA becomes redundant. Plus with a computer monitor I have no problems running PC games an other emulated systems (Amiga, Sega etc).

Of course, I will connect my computer monitor to my PC and test out MAME to make sure I'm happy with the quality of the games first, if I don't like it - arcade monitor it is.

Comment

The other advantage of using a PC monitor is if it breaks it's not too expensive to replace. Arcade monitors are fine when they are working and may not necessarily cost much to fix but the stuffing around involved and the cost is still more than getting another 2nd hand 21". My 21" PC monitor I just got off eBay cost me $22 and it works fine. For my cocktail I bought a 15" PC monitor and just recently picked up a job lot of 10 15" Dell monitors for $75 ($7.50 each). Mini cabs here I come.
                            Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

If it were me I would go with a Arcade VGA card for sure. Easy as and saves a lot of hassels. My opinion!

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X