Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

High scores??

Excuse my ignorance, I am new to mame and want to have high scores recorded. I am using Mame32plus 0.12. I have downloaded a hiscore.dat file and placed it the root mame directory. High scores are not saving. I have read that mame no longer supports high scores but mame32plus does. Am I speaking crap? Any help is appreciated.

Moose.

I believe newer versions are mame are suposed to back up the ram states of the rom so when you start the game again, it remembers the high scores (from the rom state rather than a hiscores.dat file).

Unfortunately, mine doesnt seem to (mame 1.20).

Any advice from the pr0's?

Not sure with the very latest, but usually you need. HISCORE.DAT

put this file in the same directory as MAME.exe.

Get it from

http://www.mameworld.net/highscore

I do believe that is what he said he'd already done.

I was under the impression highscore.dat was only for the command line versions of MAME and note the GUI versions anyway. I know the last time I had MAME32 it saved them natively however that was a couple of years ago.

Excuse my ignorance, I am new to mame and want to have high scores recorded. I am using Mame32plus 0.12. I have downloaded a hiscore.dat file and placed it the root mame directory. High scores are not saving. I have read that mame no longer supports high scores but mame32plus does. Am I speaking crap? Any help is appreciated.

Moose.

i have mame 115 installed on my cabinet and it does not do high scores.

i have finished d/l mame 120 the other night and plan to upgrade this weekend.fingers crossed it works

I do believe that is what he said he'd already done.

I was under the impression highscore.dat was only for the command line versions of MAME and note the GUI versions anyway. I know the last time I had MAME32 it saved them natively however that was a couple of years ago.

oh shit he did, sorry too many drinks...

• Administrators
i have mame 115 installed on my cabinet and it does not do high scores.

i have finished d/l mame 120 the other night and plan to upgrade this weekend.fingers crossed it works

Highscore support via the highscore.dat was taken out around mame 0.109 or so.

You need to compile it in yourself these days. It's pretty easy though. I have an older version that I compiled and linked here somewhere if you search for it.

Cheers,

Brad

Moose.

I have been doing further testing and my Mame32plus 0.12 with highscore.dat file does create hiscore files in the "hi" folder for some roms. Unfortunatley some of the games I am interested in high scores for do not save, eg Galaga. There goes the friday night comp and beers at my place.

as mentioned above YES support for highscore.dat has been removed in newer versions of mame and to use it in newer versions of mame you need to compile your own version.

so check this thread for details on compiling... its pretty simple

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=2ef10d497d040ff981d48db1c11d5f63&topic=64298.0

i followed this thread and the mrdo's guide on compiling (which is linked in the thread above)... its quite simple once you have done it once... if u have any questions let me know...

so on my version of mame 0.107 and 0.120 i have highscore.dat support and save support ON. therefore most games are covered...

:)

• Administrators
I have been doing further testing and my Mame32plus 0.12 with highscore.dat file does create hiscore files in the "hi" folder for some roms. Unfortunatley some of the games I am interested in high scores for do not save, eg Galaga. There goes the friday night comp and beers at my place.

Galaga has had high-score support almost from the start. Make sure you have the latest hi-score.dat file

Brad

• Super Moderator

I have MAME32 .108 with hiscore dat and it doesn't save jack shit (even Galaga). My older versions work fine (.61 and .100).

I read all the compile stuff last night and it made my head hurt (could have been the beer?)

I'll have to have a crack at it when my head clears

I have MAME32 .108 with hiscore dat and it doesn't save jack shit (even Galaga). My older versions work fine (.61 and .100).

I read all the compile stuff last night and it made my head hurt (could have been the beer?)

I'll have to have a crack at it when my head clears

Highscore dat support was removed after mame 107 and later. Compiling is a little daunting at first but you can't go wrong if u read the steps in mr do's guide carefully. Also u will be able to compile a version of mame32.

Thanks for the replies. I am now finding that hiscores are saving but they are corrupted, eg I played Galaga, scored 100K and then on restarting, the hiscore shown in Galaga was miscellaneous ASCII symbols. Wierd?? I deleted the file and all is well for now. :confused:

Cheers,

Moose.