Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

• Administrators

I've been playing around with this front end today and im very impressed by it. I got sick of the instability and mood swings of Atomic FE.

This thing is easy to set up with a butt load of features that leave most front ends for dead, its great specially if you're setting up a multi emulator cab like me.

Highly recommended!! i've added a link to the Links Directory.

indeed it does Dan bcause thats what im using it for :)

Awesome. Cheers for that.

Out of curiosity, what spec PC hardware are you running it on? It looks very "everything and the kitchen sink" (which is not a bad thing, mind you). How's it go for performance on older hardware?

I'm building a cab for the girls, and I need a front-end that will be as simple to use as possible, and "button masher" resistant. I might trial this one and see how it goes. I'm a big MAMEWah fan, but my 6 year old just constantly finds ways to break the front end. God knows how - if I mash all the buttons I can't do the damage she does. I swear kids are the best software beta testers in the world.

• Administrators

Are you using the mamewah lockout feature? Once set they can't really do anything.

GameEx is sweet but much more resource intensive and I hated waiting 30 seconds for that shitty nag screen. Haven't looked at it again in almost 2 years.

Brad

• Administrators

I intend to donate to get rid of the nag screen once I've given it more of a go. At this stage its interface, ease of setting up and features have impressed me.

I love how it has the ready to go emu dat files with information about the games etc.

I just put a asus a7n8x-x nforce 2 mobo in it running 1 gig of old ddr ram and a XP 2500+

The old mobo was a 87V8X-MX with a XP2400+. I hate VIA crap I had nothing but stability issues with this mobo but it was the only mobo i could get hold offrom ebay at the time that i could use with the ram and processors i have lying around.

I havent been able to get right into it because my Jpac is fucked but I've still be able to set emus up etc remotely via TightVNC

Are you using the mamewah lockout feature?

I don't believe so. It's a *very* old MAMEWah version. I'll check it out.

GameEx might be a little resource intensive for my old clunker hardware.

I used Lemon Launcher for a bit too:

http://lemonlauncher.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

Pretty basic, no-frills front-end, but good for old shitty hardware.

• Administrators

Yes if I was going to use GameEx I would donate too. I just don't really like it that much. I should look at it again and Tom spends inordinate time adding features to it but Mamewah has served me well for 6 years or so.

Elvis the lockout feature has been in mamewah since almost the start. It's just a value in the ini. Check it out. Stops my kids mucking it up

Brad

• Administrators
Yes if I was going to use GameEx I would donate too. I just don't really like it that much. I should look at it again and Tom spends inordinate time adding features to it but Mamewah has served me well for 6 years or so.

Elvis the lockout feature has been in mamewah since almost the start. It's just a value in the ini. Check it out. Stops my kids mucking it up

Brad

Stick with what you know I agree, I just don't have the patience for MameWah im afraid.

• Administrators

OMG sweet as!

Just running the jukebox on GameEX then after awhile it went into screen saver mode with random MAME games playing.

This is is the fucking beez neez im registering it!

Pic was taken from remotely via the TightVNC window.

Untitled-2.JPG.5c4ebd1895ddc6e2bb3aa542a1c5444f.JPG

Just running the jukebox on GameEX then after awhile it went into screen saver mode with random MAME games playing.

That's a cool feature. There's been a few guys who have tried making various MAME screensavers over the years, and they've all flopped. Someone should approach the guy to do a generic Windows screensaver in the same way.

• Administrators

Its a bloody great idea! I just registered it, I think 14 pounds ($32 AUD) is well worth it as it opens up a heap of features.

http://www.gameex.net/Donate/tabid/71/Default.aspx

That's a cool feature. There's been a few guys who have tried making various MAME screensavers over the years, and they've all flopped. Someone should approach the guy to do a generic Windows screensaver in the same way.

Forgot to mention he already has :)

http://tomspeirs.com/MAMEScreenSaver/

I am good friends with Tom (the author) of GameEx. In fact I've worked on a few little parts of GameEx like the Theme Editor, Setup Wizard and various other things like that game info at the bottom of that screenshot.

There is a really great community behind GameEx also and very friendly / helpful people.

I am good friends with Tom (the author) of GameEx. In fact I've worked on a few little parts of GameEx like the Theme Editor, Setup Wizard and various other things like that game info at the bottom of that screenshot.

There is a really great community behind GameEx also and very friendly / helpful people.

i can vouch for headkaze here. he has been with gameex for ages

• Administrators
i can vouch for headkaze here. he has been with gameex for ages

lol why do you need to "vouch" for him? hes been a member here for awhile now.

On the screen saver thing only thing i could see that the game info thing could be a issue because it sits in the one spot IE screen burn.

lol why do you need to "vouch" for him? hes been a member here for awhile now.

On the screen saver thing only thing i could see that the game info thing could be a issue because it sits in the one spot IE screen burn.

Yeah I never thought of that. The text, icon & marquee does change with each game but it could still cause some burn in. The stars would probably be the worse for it. There is an option to turn it off I guess.

• Administrators
Yeah I never thought of that. The text, icon & marquee does change with each game but it could still cause some burn in. The stars would probably be the worse for it. There is an option to turn it off I guess.

Would it be possible just to move it around a bit? say from top to bottom after each game load?

Better still have it move around the scree :D

Would it be possible just to move it around a bit? say from top to bottom after each game load?

Better still have it move around the scree :D

What GameEx does is generate a bezel with the game info at the bottom before it launches Mame. Mame then overlays the bezel over the game screen like it would a regular bezel. It would be possible to have it display the game info in a random position but I think it would look terrible.

BTW CPWizard already used bezels to overlay game info over Mame. But it's designed to be a bezel overlaying a picture of your CP as well while pausing Mame (not in attract mode). It's a cool feature that I don't think many people really know or understand.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old old thread I think I'm a convert :D. Been using Mala since I built the cab 6 months or so ago but it's been getting more and more unstable (which is more likely my fault than Mala's) so after putting it off a few months ago I downloaded GameEx and wish now I had stared with it. Most of the little bits and pieces I was trying to do with Mala, Gameex does by default! Best of all my 6000 odd roms are showing up as 2800 and as far as I can tell that's not because it's missing any it's just that GameEx apparently knows that I only want one frigging copy of each game and don't often get the urge to compare Street Fighter Europe with Street Fighter US with Street Fighter Mongolia (Someone's going to ruin my fun now and tell me I actually have a problem aren't they :rolleyes).

It works great with a keyboard, which I don't have in a cab but hopefully I can put this computer back in the cab over the weekend and start playing around with the arcade controls. Will take some time to really get it working and I still have to pay the $25 which I'm happy to do if I'm sticking with it but so far this is a great frontend.

I'm not sold on the Jukebox yet but to be honest the one I'm using now is pretty average so maybe once I have a better look it'll be worth using.

Edited by Taverner

sounds like you have it only showing originals, it can show all the games if you want, but it sounds like you dont anyway so alls good.

I have been using Gameex for about a year and havent struck anything I havent been able to do with it yet.

Great frontend, I also used Mala beforehand, even helped in development as seen on the credits tab, Mala is a great free frontend but as far as paid frontends Gameex gets my vote.