Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mame Hooker, Having Issues...

Collapse

Topics related to the hardware and software used in setting up a MAME cab IE. Jpac, frontend and OS

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mame Hooker, Having Issues...

Hi All,

I've decided to build a new project, my own shooter cabinet using positional joystick guns. I'm building the PC up (windows 10), got the inputs working so far, but having no love with outputs with Mame Hooker (MH).

I'm not sure where to go with this now for MAME hooker. I can't see any of my devices under "Show Supported Devices" in MH. I followed the tutorial on the Dragon King website and see nothing for my XBOX 360 controller or my ledwiz, which it says are supported. I am running my PC as local admin with full rights with Access User Controls turned down to lowest setting, all folders have the right attributes (event tried compatibility mode in other windows versions.

If I enter "test" I can trigger the rumblers on the Xbox 360 controller.
    If I run Mame64 (0.209) with MH open I get no outputs being alerted to as found (even with the options turned on in MH).

I'm building a shooter cab and would love to get my gun coils firing, but can get past this first step to recognise the my output devices.

Any ideas I could try or any output alternative tools, I'm at a big loss here?? Thanks in advance.

Dragonking is Howard Castro on the ArcadeControls forum. I'm not sure if there's a MH support subforum, but you should look for that and post up in there. Otherwise Howard hangs around a few other subforums, mostly the driving & racing one.

Comment

[MENTION=16024]buttersoft[/MENTION] thanks, I’ve tried messaging him and no responses as yet. He has Plenty of activity in the racing threads I see.

I,ve been thinking of seeing if I can get DOFLinx working instead to do the job.

Comment

I use a pac drive to drive solid state relays and apac to control my guns on my converted operation thunderbolt cab.
        When you run mamehooker debug window does it detect mame loading?
        there was some changes to output in mame 0.176 and above.
        In your mame ini file set the option for output to windows , this will enable mame to use old output system

#
        # OSD OUTPUT OPTIONS
        #
        output windows

Here is a vid of an early test. This relay lasted 5 minutes playing terminator2 so had to upgrade to solid state relay.
        Get this it will save you headaches long-term, works fantastic.
        Solid State Relay 4-32VDC Input, 30VDC 100A Switching | Jaycar Electronics

If you need a hand I can send you my set of makehooker scripts I have made for the 30 odd games I use. Also have created a custom hyperspin set of themes video and artwork in reverse if you are using a
        mirrored screen setup
        Last edited by oooPLAYER1ooo; 19 December 2019, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Hi and thanks for the reply,

I have not gotten far with this, Mame hooker doesn’t get recognised in the debug window at all. Hooker also doesn’t list any output devices. I’m using windows 10 if that maters. I have a ledwiz & Xbox 360 controller.

I planning to build a mirrored cab once my guns arrive from AliExpress, sigh still waiting.

what folder is the Mame ini file in?

would love some shared scripts etc.

Originally posted by oooPLAYER1ooo View Post
          I use a pac drive to drive solid state relays and apac to control my guns on my converted operation thunderbolt cab.
          When you run mamehooker debug window does it detect mame loading?
          there was some changes to output in mame 0.176 and above.
          In your mame ini file set the option for output to windows , this will enable mame to use old output system

#
          # OSD OUTPUT OPTIONS
          #
          output windows

Here is a vid of an early test. This relay lasted 5 minutes playing terminator2 so had to upgrade to solid state relay.
          Get this it will save you headaches long-term, works fantastic.
          Solid State Relay 4-32VDC Input, 30VDC 100A Switching | Jaycar Electronics

If you need a hand I can send you my set of makehooker scripts I have made for the 30 odd games I use. Also have created a custom hyperspin set of themes video and artwork in reverse if you are using a
          mirrored screen setup

Comment

In your mame folder you will find mame.ini file if you don't see one then you will need to generate one.

If you're using commandline mame you need to generate one using the commandline.

Hit the Start button on your desktop, go to the run command and type cmd, this will open a command prompt.

Change the directory to your mame folder C:\mame or wherever you've put it.

type mame -cc (including the space between mame and -cc)

This will generate a mame.ini.

I'm sure once you get the ini file fixed you will see some progress.

Comment

In your mame folder you will find mame.ini file if you don't see one then you will need to generate one.

If you're using commandline mame you need to generate one using the commandline.

Hit the Start button on your desktop, go to the run command and type cmd, this will open a command prompt.

Change the directory to your mame folder C:\mame or wherever you've put it.

type mame -cc (including the space between mame and -cc)

This will generate a mame.ini.

I'm sure once you get the ini file fixed you will see some progress.
              Hey, finally had sometime due to the virus to come back to this project. Today I hacked my Xbox controller to run the arcade gun potentiometers and arcade buttons etc. Working nicely. I want to see if I can use the two shaker motor ports to trigger to recoils for the guns.

I saw the solid state relays you recommend in another post and will go for those.

I’ll have a crack at the ini file tomorrow.

What did you have to do for the gun recoil scripting for Hooker. I’ve no idea with this bit.

i love how you kept the original mirror setup, looks great.

Comment

I'm only working myself a few days a week due to shutdown.
                On Tuesday I'm off I'll spend some time helping then if your free.
                As for scripts each rom needs a script. Once you run rom mamehooker will generate a script for you to edit. In this script is all available outputs for rom. All you have to do is tell each output what port it's hooked up to.

Are you using pacdrive ? or ledwiz ?
                what ports are the relays hooked up too ?

This information will help me explain how to edit script. It's easy once you know how.

Comment

If you install team viewer on pc I can log into it to help setup if you get stuck

Comment

If you install team viewer on pc I can log into it to help setup if you get stuck
                    yeah I admit it, I think I need some help or at least guidance. I generated a MAME.ini and adjusted outputs to Windows like you said and mamehooker sits inside my MAME directory.
                    I checked the MAME path file for hooker and it looks ok.

I have a ledwiz and am using a hacked Xbox controller for the guns and buttons.

MameHooker doesn’t seem to see the ledwiz or the Xbox controller, but in test in MH I can fire the shaker motors up.

My guns are a work in progress as I couldn’t get the AliExpress ones through customs. I have a set I bought off Facebook, but they were positional laser guns, I’m in the process of converting them to use potentiometers, just waiting on the cogs I’ve ordered.

PM me your number and an ok time and I’ll give you a call. I also downloaded and installed the team viewer software onto the pc
                    Last edited by DallasJ; 5 May 2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Ok so good progress. I figured out how to get MameHooker to work with a little help from the creator Howard off arcade controls forum.

Basically there is a windows bug that doesn’t let the supported devices show in MH. With that knowledge I did a test and I could turn my led wiz pins on and off and can see leds light on my test board.

just having issues now with auto fire games that don’t send a pulse signal only a on signal (so my recoil could would just tay energised). Then I need to figure out how to add single shot to games that don’t send a signal e.g. Area 51. Hey oooPLAYER1ooo any ideas on this last bit?

Comment

You need to slow down the autofire, it is turning on/off just too fast for your solenoid. you do this with extra scripts. I'll be near my cab tomorrow I'll pull some files off to show you how.

Actually a few roms used a piston setup for recoil so it will be on only. Operation wolf is one. I had to create a script for that too. My scripts most likely won't work out of box it depends what ports you have used. But I can show you how it works.

You will need a script per game and some games extra scripts to get recoil working correctly on some roms

Comment

You need to slow down the autofire, it is turning on/off just too fast for your solenoid. you do this with extra scripts. I'll be near my cab tomorrow I'll pull some files off to show you how.

Actually a few roms used a piston setup for recoil so it will be on only. Operation wolf is one. I had to create a script for that too. My scripts most likely won't work out of box it depends what ports you have used. But I can show you how it works.

You will need a script per game and some games extra scripts to get recoil working correctly on some roms

oooPLAYER1ooo
                          That would be great if you could. I’ll pm you my email if that makes it easier. T2 has already brought back some great memories lol.

thanks in advance bud.

Comment

A missbehaving hooker tehe
                            live between the flip and the tilt

Comment

So I was able to get Operation wolf going with a lop command. No joy with Operation Thunder bolt or Alien3, any chance you could please share the rom .ini and script for those here please?

UPDATE: WORKING!!!!!!

I used a "lfs" infinite looping script control and got it working for Operation Thunderbolt & Aliens 3. Found some detail on an 8 year old forum post.

Looks like this, named the script piston, file look like this:

lws 1 1 %s%
                              lws 1 1 0

Then it is called from the game ini file using 10 as the delay time:

Player1_Recoil_Piston=lfs piston 10 %s%

Last edited by DallasJ; 4 July 2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X