Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here used a TV in their Mame cabinet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here used a TV in their Mame cabinet?

Since upgrading my Mame cabinet guts and being in the process of adding spinners, a good trackball and potentially a light gun... I'm kind of in pimp-my-cab mode

The 21" monitor is starting to look small, heheh... so I'm starting to think about a bigger screen but I'm also broke, so the only option I can see is a big TV from ebay that I'd probably need to de-case if I want to get maximum screen space.

My computer/video card has a TV-out (not S-video, just RCA)... do you think this will still be sufficient for all the emulation stuff? Obviously it means the cabinet wouldnt be as suited for browsing the internet or playing PC games like quake/etc, but oh well...

Who here has used a TV in their cabinet? What do you think the biggest (cased or decased) TV I could squeeze into my cabinet with 600mm (exactly) width? I'm thinking a de-cased 63cm TV, which is 24.8 inches...

Thats 3.8" more than the current screen... is it worth the trouble/cost/loss of resolution for non MAME stuff?
    My Projects
    sigpic

my brother and i are about to do this with a converter in a 20 inch cab were planning a 51cm in there probably decased

and new teles are cheap as chips these days
    you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

thing is though, 51cm = 20"... so you're no better off than a flat screen 21" monitor which you can get for under $50, unless you've already got the TV laying around....

You shouldnt need to de-case a 51cm...
      My Projects
      sigpic

Comment

ahh cheers we have a 68cm too. dad went thru teles faster than he did cars over the years

his old arcade monitor died a week after getting the cab so he has finally decided to fit a tv in it a year and a half later
        you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

A 59cm (23.2") fits easily into a 620mm(inside width) cabinet from experience, and impure has used 61cm (24") in the same size cabs (apparently they have the same mounting points)
          check my fit in this thread
          http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthre...=raiden&page=2
          http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachme...5&d=1192519074 (picture)
          The monitor is Vertical(59cm)but you can see the mounting points for a Horizontal(59cm), there is not much room either side from a 59cm Tube (cab measures 620mm inside across) so I think this would be as big as you could go.
          Hope this helps
          sigpic

Comment

It looks like you might have been able to squeeze a 63cm TV in there *just*, but alas, my cabinet is 600mm on the inside not 620mm.

Thanks for the pic... that helps.
            My Projects
            sigpic

Comment

I was originally planning a 68cm TV for my MAME cab, I tried it out using the TV out on the video card. Wasn't too bad but the refresh or something really gave me haedaches that close.

Anyways, I ended up using a 29" arcade monitor instead, and it really looks much better. The picture quality is great and sharp. No more fuzzy reds, and it doesn't strain my eyes like the TV did.

If you can afford it, I would recommend an arcade monitor. I was easy for me as the 29" arcade tube fit where the 68cm tv tube was, so perhaps it something you can change over later anyways.

Comment

How cool is this?

A cheap converter from VGA to either RCA or S-video... I've never seen one of these and didn't think it was possible? If it works, it makes a TV a much more accessible option for anyone wanting to make a mame cabinet.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VGA-TO-S-VIDE...QQcmdZViewItem
                My Projects
                sigpic

Comment

i am looking at tv optoins too would the net and pc games look ok on a 68cm?
                  it is more for mame?

Comment

Originally posted by rock View Post
                    i am looking at tv optoins too would the net and pc games look ok on a 68cm?
                    it is more for mame?
                    In my experience the resolution needs to be really low, just to make text readable, so you'll be limited by that. Some arcadeish games wil be ok, internet won't really work, it's too clumsy at such low res.

Comment

Originally posted by MrQuan View Post
                      I was originally planning a 68cm TV for my MAME cab, I tried it out using the TV out on the video card. Wasn't too bad but the refresh or something really gave me haedaches that close.

Anyways, I ended up using a 29" arcade monitor instead, and it really looks much better. The picture quality is great and sharp. No more fuzzy reds, and it doesn't strain my eyes like the TV did.

If you can afford it, I would recommend an arcade monitor. I was easy for me as the 29" arcade tube fit where the 68cm tv tube was, so perhaps it something you can change over later anyways.
                      Or use a TV tube with a universal chassis from Jomac (as I did), the picture is awesome. Joey told me that TV tubes are a better grade than most Arcade monitors. Arcade monitors are usually B grade tubes whereas TV's have the A grade, plus second hand TV's are way cheaper than Arcade monitors
                      sigpic

Comment

SO the universal chassis is $145 + freight and it will work any crt tube?
                        that is cool
                        that is a good option.
                        are they hard to install?
                        are there instructions hanging around somewhere?
                        sigpic

Comment

The last cab I picked up has a 63cm, but its 620 wide, think you'd be struggling to get a 63 in 600

Comment

Originally posted by MrQuan View Post
                            TV-out from modern video cards is always interlaced. This appears very flickery, especially when standing close to the screen.

Sadly none of the video card manufacturers include TV-out chips that can be custom programmed - most of them spit out 480i by default, which isn't much fun. If they could be reprogrammed to send custom video modes, you could get near-perfect progressive-scan arcade quality out of them.
                            | |

Comment

So Elvis is that to say that TVs are not a good choice for MAme cabinets?
                              My Projects
                              sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X