Limiting credits in MAME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limiting credits in MAME?

Alright, time to put the thinking cap on...

I still havent installed a coin mech in my otherwise complete cab. I was finally about to do it this weekend... but...

The purpose of putting in coin mechs is for authenticity, but I had also hoped that it would stop the kids from putting in unlimited credits as they tend to do with the Mame shortcuts. The problem is, with 20c coin mechs its not like we have a houseful of them and I dont want to limit the amount of games they can play when their friends come over... which will inevitably lead to an 'open door' with the same 20c pieces cyling over and over (again: unlimited credits).

So... I was thinking of putting two of the credit buttons (like the ones ozstick is selling) in my little 'admin panel' below the keyboard drawer and above the coin door. Here's the tricky question though:

Can anyone think of any software or hardware ways to limit the amount of credit pulses that can be sent in a row either for a set period of time or some other condition. Preferably the maximum amount of credits could be adjusted too. Hardware wise I imagine it would require some sort of circuit that allows 5 pulses but has to be somehow 'reset' to allow anymore.

I may still install a coin mech for novelty value, but since it may not be the primary credit mechanism... I was thinking of getting a coin mech that takes american quarters... has anybody seen them for sale in Aus?
    My Projects
    sigpic

i have a single 20c comapritor wired to my mame cab. i wired it to both player one and player 2 credits on the ipac.
    in a lot of games a single 20c coin registers 2xcredits, one for each player.
    i took a 10 dollar note in to a bank and asked for it to be changed in to 20 cent pieces. i recycle the 20 cent pieces. trust me, the kids play a ton of games before i open the cabinet again to recycle the coins. the kids even sometimes put a few extra 20 cent coins in that they find at the school yard or from their pocket money
    rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on
    if your new to electronics and

Comment

Yeah that was my original idea... but having a $10 pile of 20c pieces next to the cabinet really isnt much different to letting them add as many as they like.

Other than just telling them off repeatedly, I'd like to somehow limit the credits per game so that they're forced to do it the right way... if they're not actually losing money by playing bad then they dont try as hard...
      My Projects
      sigpic

Comment

give them 5 coins each a day, keep the door locked, once there gone there gone, hide the bag of 20 cent pieces and if friends come over bring the bag out lol easy fixed..

Comment

Heres my coin mech , credit buttons

I use the electronic coin mech that is found at ozstick , well it was , but they have discontinued it.

All you have to do is insert whatever coin u want to be as the "credit" inside it , and it will give u credits upon that shape coin.

Comment

Hmmmm, what to do?

It's difficult, because in a way you are contradicting yourself - you don't want to limit their credits but you don't want it to be unlimited!

You could always put a toggle switch inside the cab that "turns on" a credit button, that way when friends come around you switch it to "free play" so they don't have to drop a coin in the slot. When their friends leave you open up the cab and flick the switch back off.

A simple SPST switch from the local electronics shop would do it and just wire it up in line with the ground wire for the Coin button.

Cheers,
            Chris
            www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by dmworking247 View Post
              I may still install a coin mech for novelty value, but since it may not be the primary credit mechanism... I was thinking of getting a coin mech that takes american quarters... has anybody seen them for sale in Aus?
              Check both Excellentcom and the BYOAC forums. Both are good sources for custom arcade tokens.
              | |

Comment

Originally posted by AdamC View Post
                Heres my coin mech , credit buttons
                I use the electronic coin mech that is found at ozstick , well it was , but they have discontinued it.

All you have to do is insert whatever coin u want to be as the "credit" inside it , and it will give u credits upon that shape coin.
                Hey Adam, are you happy with your Coin Buttons??

Cheers,
                Chris

Just buy one of my $25 jobbies - the CM03. They are easily adjusted to take any coin, as long as it is round!

Cheers,
                Chris
                Last edited by OzStick; 18th May 2007, 08:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

They look great !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OzStick View Post
                    Hmmmm, what to do?

It's difficult, because in a way you are contradicting yourself - you don't want to limit their credits but you don't want it to be unlimited!

Cheers,
                    Chris
                    Thats not quite what I meant... I mean I want them and their friends to be able to play/try as many games as they like, as many times as they like... but not keep credit feeding the same 'turn' at a game.

Eg... play bubble bobble, maximum 5(?) credits ($1) between them. If they exit and enter another game... they can put a max of 5 credits to that.
                    My Projects
                    sigpic

Comment

Thats not quite what I meant... I mean I want them and their friends to be able to play/try as many games as they like, as many times as they like... but not keep credit feeding the same 'turn' at a game.

Eg... play bubble bobble, maximum 5(?) credits ($1) between them. If they exit and enter another game... they can put a max of 5 credits to that.
                      OK, I get it now. Can't think of anything and I suspect it may be outside the scope of the MAME project. I could be wrong of course!
                      www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

Yeah that was my original idea... but having a $10 pile of 20c pieces next to the cabinet really isnt much different to letting them add as many as they like.
                        the coins are not next to the cabinet, they are in the cabinet in the tupperware coin box i pinched from my wife's collection of tupperware....

at the end of the day, who really gives a toss how many coins they feed thru it, the cabinet and games are there for *FUN*

my kids have their friends sleep over here almost every weekend now since i got my lowboy running and shoved it in the lounge room....

this is what makes memories for kids when they get older...
                        i wish when i was their age i could recycle my coins thru pac-man and gyruss and zaxxon...

let kids, be kids

find another project to work on...

heres a few suggestions, a digital pinball machine - they use monitors instaed of a play field, put an xbox/ps2 in a cabinet with 5.1 speakers for the kids to play, build a racing car cabinet and shove daytona on it... i have an original copy of it for win 98 i can "loan" you

better yet, when they are playing, if your cab has 2 players, then why not verse them in a game... my kids and i verse each other all the time in damn near anything, great fun
                        rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on

Comment

why not just emulate the coins, everything else is

Comment

there was a program written by headkaze that could be easily modified to do this.

the program that headkaze wrote allowed you to feed coins in and switch games and keep the credits you had...

it was posted at the gameex forums, but lots of people had a cry about it and said it was pushing the limits of it and could be used in commercial purposes and bassicly took a great idea and killed it... pricks.... oh well, nothing new there i guess, seems to be the way society is going now days...makes me sad to see such great ideas killed off

i have no doubt headkaze could modify his program to suit this need.
                            be great if both versions of the program could be released here in the forums and without headkaze name in the programs that way if they do get to the "outside world" there is no repercussions on headkaze
                            Last edited by @lien_Zed; 19th May 2007, 08:32 AM.

Comment

heres the thread about the s/w by headkaze at gameex forums

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index....topic=2273&hl=

another link

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/ind...howtopic=17392
                              Last edited by @lien_Zed; 19th May 2007, 08:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X