Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What's your favourite Cab Frontend

132 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Cab Frontend

• AdvanceMenu
    • ArcadeOS
    • AtomicFE
    • GameLauncher
    • 3D Arcade
    • GameEx
    • Hyperspin
    • Mala
    • Mamewah/Wahcade
    • Maximus Arcade
    • Other

• Administrators

Note I said CAB front-end. Front-ends for use on your computer I'm NOT interested in :) Also if your using something else let me know and I'll add it. I've seen the FE's come and go and to date the most used that I'm aware of these days are GameEx, Mala, AtomicFE, Hyperspin and Mamewah.

I'm tired of seeing my front-end is better than your front-end type posts. Damn I wish we had a wiki.

Details:

Advance Menu: This is pretty old now but it used to be perfect for arcade monitors when combined with Advance Mame. Of course AdvanceMame has probably been superceded by CabMame and GroovyMame

ArcadeOS: Part of the pctojamma project which again has been superceded.

AtomicFE: AtomicFE is much like GameEx with similiar features and look.

Game Launcher: This is a very old FE now but was hugely popular in it's day

3D Arcade: This is a really cool virtual walkthrough arcade. New rendered models are regularly released

GameEx: A commercial multi-function frontend that is very popular with responsive developer and loads of themes

Hyperspin: Another very popular frontend and definitely the prettiest. Needs a grunty machine for best effect though.

Mala: Very popular frontend with loads of themes and free

Mamewah: No longer actively developed but still very popular, highly configurable and plenty of themes. There is also a Linux variant called Wahcade

Maximus Arcade: Another popular commercial frontend that has a polished interface.

Cheers,

Brad

Edited by Brad
Added details

• 4 months later...

I use Hyperspin and have been using it for years.

I am now a distributor for them and Emu-movies.

It does look great and has many features, but does need a good PC to run.

A P4 2.8 is borderline, but ytou can offen get these and better PCs for free.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I still use and love game launcher with mame dos

when I switch on my cab. the game list with screen shot background is up before my monitor is even fully warmed up.

Its fast ,It feels retro It's very stable and not having to wait for windows to boot up makes it feel more like a real arcade machine to me.

I started with a mame bootable install disc Fraggal's Boot CD and SpyStyle DOS boot CD .I found game laucher was the type of frontend i was after and started to tinker by removing all other console lists and changing the game launcher title to my own title and adjusting the background image so it was more transparent also removed the video that played at boot up and set it up with just my fav. games that I liked .It did take a while for me to config everything in the begining but i was really happy with the end result.

• 5 months later...
I'm using Mala, I like game launcher as well, but Mala once you get your head around it was much better. Though I found you have to get good at writing batch files, and I learnt a bit about using autohotkey (which I think won't matter what front end your using, you will need to write some of these if your making a cabinet and want the same buttons to do the same function ie quitting an emu and returning to the front end. ESC press in some EMU's has a different function which you can't change).

Is it easier with the HyoerSync or is there a complete download with platinum?

With a platinum membership it allows you to use the hypersync app to download the front end media. It's well worth it.

All the common gaming consoles and arcade systems are well covered using this app. More obscure system require manual setup to get all the artwork.

You will also need an emumovies membership to be able to sync video snaps, again well worth it. You don't have the hassle of trawling through thousands of vids.

There is a promo code for platinum hyperspin members where you can get an emumovies membership for a discount.

There is no magic silver bullet that gets you all the artwork and vids with one click.... But having memberships does make it a hell of a lot easier.

I have about 70 systems or so setup in hyperspin.

Also remember hyperspin is purely the front end.... You need an emulator launcher aswell.

I use rocketlauncher (it's fantastic once you get your head around it). System setups are so much easier than say 3 years ago.

Shoot me a message if you have any questions...

Hope this info helps.

Edited by intigod

• 2 months later...
My vote is for Attract Mode. I was going to use Mala because I wanted something fairly lightweight without the headaches of setting up Hyperspin, but it was too much of a pain in the arse to try and get working with the latest mame. Attract mode was easy to set up and configure custom menus by adding filter rules. Thumbs up from me.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm also an "other"

Is anyone else using Launchbox and/or BigBox?

Launchbox is free and very easy to set up for any emulator and does all the hard work. Paying for a licence also gives you BigBox, once set up you never need a keyboard or mouse again, just fantastic for cabinet use.