Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

No ship explosion sound in Galaga

Dusted off a MAME cabinet I made last year and fired it up.

Everything worked fine apart from Galaga and Galaga (fast shoot). All sound is fine apart from when your ship explodes, there is no sound for that explosion. All other sounds are fine.

Running in WIn98se.

Front end is GameLauncher

MAME .67 (I think)

Suggestions?

:unsure

In the older version of MAME, Galaga required sound samples to hear ingame audio. Sounds to me like you're missing that sample.

As Pinny said, the easiest thing to do is update your MAME set to a recent release where the samples aren't necessary.

They should have stuck with samples, at least it was more accurate.

Samples by definition are innacurate, as they will always have the innacuracies of whatever output amplifiers/equipment that sat between them and the listener's ear.

At least via emulation, the underlying calculations are accurate (in the case of Galaga at least - there are notable instances where games are non-emulatable).

Purists will argue that MAME doesn't sound the same, but they are often confused by the fact that they are listening to the games through PC speakers, and not the same sort of amp/speaker system of the old hardware. MAME only cares about the hardware on the PCB. Whatever sits between that at the user (screens, inputs, speakers, etc) is not MAME's concern.

The same argument goes for folks who complain MAME looks ugly on a PC monitor. All I can say is "well duh - use an arcade monitor".

Corrupted sample file?

Yup. MAME stores CRC32 checksums of all files to be loaded (roms, samples, or anything else). If the CRC32 doesn't match, the sample won't load.

That's the same reason you can actually call your rom zipfile anything you like and force it to load in MAME. MAME will look at the CRC32 to find out the game driver you are trying to load. The name itself means very little.