Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• program files, zipping and renaming

G'day,
    Im experimenting with a few emulators one in particular for the C64 on the PS2.

I have just d/l this program

http://ps2emu.dcemu.co.uk/dc64.shtml

now, i have a cd full of games for this machine and all the file names are the usual over 8 characters, infact they are very descriptive file names.

I want to be able to highlight a group of files somehow in some program and hit a magic rename button and it will rename the files to a 8 character length filename.

example

really long program name.dsk

output

reallylo.dsk

2nd question.
    I want a zip program of some description that i can highlight files and or directorys and press a button and it does a multiple zip to multiple files

example
    file1
    file2
    file3
    file4
    directory5

high light these and gets output to

zipfile1
    zipfile2
    zipfile3
    zipfile4
    zipdirectory5

hope this makes sense .
    and just so you know, im using XP pro
    rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on
    if your new to electronics and

After searching the net for most of the day, i have found the answer to my first question on how to make file names short

http://www.dcsoft.com/products/longff/longff.htm

damn! :-(
    after testing it, i can only don one file at a time to rename

sigh

back to google
    Last edited by @lien_Zed; 30th July 2006, 06:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on

Comment

Originally posted by dezrae
      After searching the net for most of the day, i have found the answer to my first question on how to make file names short

http://www.dcsoft.com/products/longff/longff.htm

damn! :-(
      after testing it, i can only don one file at a time to rename

sigh

back to google
      Without gouing in depth, it could be scripted to rename.
      But I do have a windows file renamer program that can rename file(s) in one hit, including truncation....

Comment

Originally posted by Savage
        Without gouing in depth, it could be scripted to rename.
        But I do have a windows file renamer program that can rename file(s) in one hit, including truncation....

Coolness...

how can i aquire this software from you?

Comment

Originally posted by dezrae
          Coolness...

how can i aquire this software from you?
          START RUN CMD
          ren *.something something .*
          The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

your suggestion will work yes.
            but i want to keep the original file name just shorten it to 8 characters and leave the 3 extension

12345678.exe or whatever

i have done some reading on the net, and tomorrow i will read it again when im sober, but it looks like i can copy the files to CD using nero or whatever and i can specify the file name in the iso 9660 format standard.

dunno. i got to read it when im sober, cos the brain is kinda in melow mode.polished off a few bottles of wine over dinner and feeling very relaxed right about now.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
            Working...
            X