Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Console emulation question

Having just modded my Xbox I loaded up some of the available console emulators eg SNES, NES, SMS, Genesis etc and now have a query...

I was playing Wonder Boy III the Dragons Trap on the Master System emulator (Meka) and the music is a tad off, and the game runs slightly fast (put many hours into this game, so I can really tell the difference) as do some of the other games such as Golvellius. The NES seems to run ok, but I havnt played it much.

So.... Is this because I'm running at 60hz and NTSC roms ie faster US speed or just innaccurate emulation? :unsure

Good question. I don't notice any difference as haven't compared them and got nothing to compare too!!!.

But I would say it's the emulation, I can't see how a screen refresh rate would affect anything.

Either way you should be able to go into your dash and change the settings, can force it to NTSC format to see if it changes anything, also in pal should be able to change between 50 and 60hz....

Also try different emulators!

hmm, I might get out the consoles and compare.

Some posts I found:

PAL gamers are stuck, for the most part with poor quality ports of games, although our TV systm is theoreticaly superior to NTSC. We get more colours and higher resoloution. All TVs sold after about 1995 can also do PAL 60 (all the benifits of PAL + 60Hz support. Only HDTV is better). So why not support it? Why are European gamers so scorned by software companies. The Traversies mount up when so many class games never get released here after being released in the states (most notably Xenogears and Final Fantasy tactics)

Anyhow, enough of my preaching: In general a PAL dump of an N64 game will be slower or have black borders, in comparison to it's NTSC counterparts.

So.... Is this because I'm running at 60hz and NTSC roms ie faster US speed

Yup, welcome to how games are meant to be played.

I've been import gaming and using emulators for a while. 60Hz NTSC is the only way to fly. It's the way games were designed. Playing PAL is like your character is doing his thing in a bucket of syrup.

Most emulators will allow you to force PAL speeds in their options. If it bugs you greatly, go for that options.

Emulation wise, the Master System is one of the most perfectly emulated systems on the planet. Due entirely to it's dead simple digital hardware, and complete lack of any analogue trickery, emulation is better on it than many other systems.

Play under 60Hz for a while, and you'll quickly get used to it. Games are faster, and generally as a result harder. It makes things far more fun, if you ask me. (I am a card-carrying easy-game hater).

Thanks for the info Elvis! knew you'd be the guru on this topic ;)

You're right about it being slightly harder too.

The visuals didn't bug me that much, it was mainly the speed up of the music... Too bad my memories of the music in WBIII are of the slow PAL version :cry

Same as the original Wonderboy... and Rampage.

As for modern games, I always use the 60hz option.

As for modern games, I always use the 60hz option.

Yeah, me too. Almost every TV these days will do 60Hz without a drama.

Modern games aren't so bad, as most are 3D. 50/60Hz means little to gameplay speed, which is controlled by an internal timer rather than the display speed. Likewise, CD and MP3/compresssed music doesn't change speed.

In the old days, the whole console ran off one crystal. EVERYTHING inside was controlled and designed for either 50Hz or 60Hz output, from gameplay to music and sound effects. Particularly FM music, which changes not only timings but pitch to match.

In the old days, the whole console ran off one crystal. EVERYTHING inside was controlled and designed for either 50Hz or 60Hz output, from gameplay to music and sound effects. Particularly FM music, which changes not only timings but pitch to match.

Interesting :)

A similar topic is the PAL speed up on movies ie they're about 2% faster compared to NTSC versions due to the 25fps vs 24 fps conversion from film.