Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Potato King Mame machine

To date this is my scratch built mame machine, for the last few weekends I’ve been up to my arse in MDF dust & if I have to measure & cut one more piece of it I may just come close to cracking. It's much more fun now Im screwing it.. oooh err. I’ve basically got all the bits now cept I decided to scrap the competition buttons Id brought in favour of some standard ones + a few items from ozstick still to come. I’ve still got to design the artwork & get it printed & produce the dxf files for the perspex cut-outs...... when it's finished I’m hoping it can be seen from space.

Some of the specs are:-

Ipac encoder

Happs competition joys

Standard pushbuttons setout for neo-geo & 6 button games

21 inch NEC CRT monitor

Logitec 5.1 suround 140 watt speaker system

Mechanical coin mech

Antec LED blue lights under controls

Antec LED blue cooling fans either side of monitor

Perspex on control board cover c/w cut out in MDF for viewing window to Ipac

Belkin Keyboard & glow mouse.

First few pics are AutoCAD renders & there’s a few of the control panel c/w keyboard/mouse drawer.

mame1.jpg.cff5f8514180f6f901f421361ab1e33e.jpg

mame2.jpg.22d3b8ef8d2d483dbbd59bee37dda755.jpg

mame3.jpg.d36d3093cd2e18c1e8139cd7dc9385f5.jpg

P1010686small.JPG.ae57632574c6a4437497497eaf5e6d19.JPG

P1010693small.JPG.6c37f42f7d1efe18b28cd5777762bc02.JPG

P1010694small.JPG.528c37d52ea5ec063e787200b5ba323a.JPG

Looking good potato! Looks like a lot of work alright, but I'm sure once you're finished it'll be worth it though, just gotta keep slogging away...

Keep the pictures coming, I've seen a lot of cocktaily type stuff lately but I dont think i've ever followed a build of an upright, seems a lot more common for people to gut/restore cabinets.

Cheers,

Snippy.

One thing missing from the Aussie Arcade forum is there hasn't been many built from scratch Mame cabinets, looking forward to seeing more pictures of yours Potato King.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=37

There's a few in there (including mine).

On topic... nice looking design there. I like seeing people who go for the full CAD design first and build second. I'll be following this one.

Thanx for the words of support Snippy & Retro, Ill def add some more pics of progress.:D

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=37

There's a few in there (including mine).

Fuk my roman sandals your machine looks very similar my machine Elvis... well considering mine was loosely based on LuSID's design also that's a bit of a no brainer. Awesome web site too, wish Id seen it before I started mine, I had the same idea of perhaps documenting mine too hence the progress pics.

I’m well jealous of ur hanger/shed, every time I need to work on mine I have to grab all my tools out of one of my 2.5X2.5 garden sheds, move all the bits outside from the games room & vice versa when it's time to pack the shit up, hence the going is slow cos I’m limited to w/end daylight hours... Going up to Gero this w/end too so I won't get anything done till next week. I’ve got the itch & can't scratch it.

Anyway it should be standing under it's own power next weekend. *rubs hands*

Fuk my roman sandals your machine looks very similar my machine Elvis... well considering mine was loosely based on LuSID's design also that's a bit of a no brainer. Awesome web site too, wish Id seen it before I started mine, I had the same idea of perhaps documenting mine too hence the progress pics.

Yup, LuSiD to the rescue for mine. I basically converted his units to metric, and then skinnied the cab up so it wouldn't look so stupid with a 21" monitor in there.

And definitely do as much documentation as you can. I've had literally dozens of people drop me an email and say "Hey I used your plans and the tips on your site and make a great cab". I even had a Canadian Year 12 girl email me pics of her finished cab that she did for her senior woodwork project based off my plans!

I couldn't have made my cab without LuSiD's plans, so it's only right that I document and share my progress with the world.

I’m well jealous of ur hanger/shed, every time I need to work on mine I have to grab all my tools out of one of my 2.5X2.5 garden sheds, move all the bits outside from the games room & vice versa when it's time to pack the shit up, hence the going is slow cos I’m limited to w/end daylight hours..

Yeah, the big Titan shed came with the house. That and the back deck were the two reasons I bought the place. It had termites, and gets drafty, but I don't care because I've got a big fuck-off shed. :)

Grab yourself a 25m extention cable and one of those $30 standing halogen lamps from Bunnings. "Daylight hours" no longer are an issue with 1000W of halogens lighting the way. :)

• 2 weeks later...

You wouldn’t believe it, the lady next door complained to the council yesterday about the large erection I was putting up in the back yard…. She also complained about the Mame cabinet too… ba doom dish.

Saturday after work I decided to add a coin door for the coin mech so’s I didn’t look like such a tool having to dart around the back of the cabinet to retrieve the 20c pieces, I also attached the front of the control panel & a few other small bits so on Sunday I could put it all together.

Sundee didn’t get to start till 2:00 so was running about like a blue arsed fly, bolted the first corners of the side, bottom & front together, put the other side piece on & it was then that my one & only 2.38mm drill bit decided to snap off in one of the pilot holes…

Anyway it’s finally standing, minus a few pieces, next stage is where the fun really begins, bogging, sanding & preping……….. Right after I dangle my balls into the blender.

922715185_Draweropen-closed.JPG.bde5c96f796c78128fdf94ca1a7b4653.JPG

594018676_cabconstruction.JPG.715ffe51a184962f033f2911a0c9bf4b.JPG

1464948667_Cabside.JPG.9442f840d7e25314777a37c2f5a0ade6.JPG

356299223_cabstanding.JPG.18836d421b09421f0269a09382b3c011.JPG

Sexy keyboard drawer.

Looking good so far!

Agree... My drawer makes me anxious. :redface

Speaking of my drawer Elvis o guru Mame swami (or any lesser quasi swami’s) have you seen in ur travels a quick release mech for control panels? Id like perhaps to one day make another with a trackball & when this happens would like to already have a release system in place to swap them over….. Was reading a post by Chris form OZstick about using Velcro but dunno if that’s the option I want…

Ta

PK

That is looking sweet as mate. What plans are you using again? Love to get them. I like that style cab, and am looking for an upright with Horizontal monitor.

Plans are based on LuSiD’s design… Based on look that is, the dimensions of these two cabs are now in no way similar apart from maybe the height 2m. The cab has been a redraw in 3D AutoCAD. The keyboard & mouse have been incorporated into the control panel instead of under it, just looked a little more compact & more like an original arcade machine, this also puts the keyboard closer up to the user. I’ve done no formal plans yet but hope to get some as builts done on completion. I’m going to get the monitor into the cab for a measure up this w/end & get started on the dxf templates for profile cutting…

So no plans yet, just a working 3D model & prelim prints I’m working off.

PK

Agree... My drawer makes me anxious. :redface

Speaking of my drawer Elvis o guru Mame swami (or any lesser quasi swami’s) have you seen in ur travels a quick release mech for control panels? Id like perhaps to one day make another with a trackball & when this happens would like to already have a release system in place to swap them over….. Was reading a post by Chris form OZstick about using Velcro but dunno if that’s the option I want…

Ta

PK

You could use a metal release clip like used in cocktails to hold the top down, as long as you can access it through the keyboard drawer. How much room is between the CP top and the keyboard drawer? Trackballs are quite deep too..well the 3 inch ones are...

You could use a metal release clip like used in cocktails to hold the top down, as long as you can access it through the keyboard drawer. How much room is between the CP top and the keyboard drawer? Trackballs are quite deep too..well the 3 inch ones are...

Thankx DK

Do u mean these?

http://www.happcontrols.com/amusement/acesor/43205900.htm

Dunno if I understand htf they work (I'm just a common potato)..... would I have to unscrew these things when I wanted to replace the control box? Really after something I can quickly unclip by hand......

Really after something I can quickly unclip by hand......
I'm still looking for something to do the same job. I want to have a slightly wider control panel (4 player) so it needs to be able to be removed to move the cabinet through doorways. I have been trying to find springy type latches similar to those on eskies where you hook over and pull down...does that make any sense??? I'm confusing myself trying to describe them...

I'm still looking for something to do the same job. I want to have a slightly wider control panel (4 player) so it needs to be able to be removed to move the cabinet through doorways. I have been trying to find springy type latches similar to those on eskies where you hook over and pull down...does that make any sense??? I'm confusing myself trying to describe them...

http://www.happcontrols.com/accessories/49005900.htm

I found these a couple of days ago & put an order in last night, I've gone away from the detachable control box but Im using two to hold down the hinged control panel. These will be hidden from view inside the cab.

Heh.... yeah, I got em from Happs. I had to get a few other things for the cab as well. Tried to find these at Bunnings but all they had were flat mount where I needed angle mount which these babys will do. If you look hard enough Im sure there around somewhere.

PK

I had a rush of shit to the brain the other night while ordering a few parts from Happs & have decided to rehash the Mame config & player 1 & 2 buttons on the control panel, these buttons are now Happs illuminated push buttons 7mm low profile, I’ve also ordered black knobs for the joysticks *insert black knob joke here* as before they were yellow. Originally the whole theme was yellow but as the design progressed to a neo geo layout I couldn’t be arsed sending an order to Happs just to replace the sticks. The panel looks less cluttered now there black.

Only had a spare 4hrs on the w/end so not much progress, the screen support panel & marquee speaker panel have now been put in & the screw holes have been bogged, also fitted the marquee fluro. Hopefully this w/end I can apply the undercoat weather permitting.

889273699_cabprogress.JPG.c9dff2800126442e158a4823975487e1.JPG

1964136199_marqueespeaker.JPG.df76ca44fa20107f00811dc4b0be5f0f.JPG

45216264_mameview.jpg.3d06151d0799a4505aa1e232c8bdf78b.jpg

Just a suggestion:

I notice you've planned to have your "Neo Geo" layout across the bottom. That's how I've got mine, but after 2 years of using it it gives me the shits.

Why? Well, every Neo Geo game you load up needs to be reconfigured. PITA. Instead, consider having the Neo layout across the top with the 4th botton haning off the top right. Wire it and the bottom left button to the same input (giving you 2x "button 4"s).

I have heard there's a way to write an input config that pertains to a particular driver, but I've not investigated it. I might do that first, and see if it's viable rather than customising each Neo game one by one.

Just a suggestion:

I notice you've planned to have your "Neo Geo" layout across the bottom. That's how I've got mine, but after 2 years of using it it gives me the shits.

Why? Well, every Neo Geo game you load up needs to be reconfigured. PITA. Instead, consider having the Neo layout across the top with the 4th botton haning off the top right. Wire it and the bottom left button to the same input (giving you 2x "button 4"s)..

Thanks for the input Elvis, it's much appreciated mate, I've just been for a second "in depth" look at your web site.... you've got the same router I borrowed off my old boy & I had to fukn laugh at your chinese safety boots, same as mine although your comfort groove seams to be more worn in than mine. Thongs are at there best when there's 1mm between you & the ground.... Anyway nuff about rubber foot ware & back to the exciting as bat shit world of button placement.

Clarification - What buttons would you use on your panel for say 1942? Are you saying you don't use the red button for non Neo games?

*puts on thinking cap* My thoughts were that as most of my fav games are NG that the bottom row of buttons would be used for those games, as most older games only use up to 3 buttons the only games Id have to config would be 6 button MK & SF type stuff. So on all 2/3 button games the cranked red button would be the main fire & yellow & green the secondary. Wadayafuknreckon?:D