Discussion on building MAME cabinets.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended Mame Frontend for Arcade Machine

Hi,

I'm just finishing off a cocktail machine I copied from an original I had and am now starting to build the PC to run Mame on. Where I'm getting stuck is deciding which frontend to use.
    My requirements are:-
    1. Can load straight into the frontend on Windows 7. (I believe this is just a Windows configuration, so it shouldn't be too hard).
    2. Be a simple and easy to read list of the available games and show a picture of the game selected.
    3. Just shows arcade MAME games, so no menu showing options of other emulators.
    4. Easy to navigate and choose a game via the cocktail controls and buttons.
    5. I'd like it to be fully Freeware.
    From what I've read, Mala seems to meet my preferences well, but the snag seems to be it's age and incompatibility with more recent Mame versions. And then there is Hyperspin, which as far to much bling for my liking.

Can anyone please suggest a frontend to use that gives me what I'm after or if it's just not available?

Thank you,

Markus

Attract Mode is a pretty popular front end that has support for the latest versions of MAME. It's kind of new Mala in a way, where Mala was the new MameWAH.

I haven't set it up on any of my machines, as I still use Mala, but lots of people have good things to say about it.

Comment

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at it.

Comment

There are work arounds to get MALA working with more recent mame versions.
        Info on BYOAC forums about it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Arcade mobile app
        Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

+1 for Attract Mode

Comment

Hyper V is another option...
            Although it's essentially Hyperspin, it's designed for vertical games only.
            I installed the original (v1.8) version and it worked fine with no messing around.

HyperV: A Complete Vertical Hyperspin Setup - Aussie Arcade

HyperV: A Complete Vertical Hyperspin Setup - Coin-op Videogame, Arcade, Pinball, EM & Slot Machine Forums (VAPS/KLOV)

Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

Comment

Thanks for that. I have seen that work arounds are available, but I'm trying to avoid using a legacy software. I've got concerns it'll end up producing on going issues when ever Mame makes some changes Mala doesn't handle.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Kaizen.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 1.21 Gigawatts View Post
                  I don’t know what’s what but Launchbox looks good from what I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade
                  Launchbox with Bigbox is great, but a little more difficult to get working with a CRT screen. If the OP is using LCD, Launchbox/Bigbox would be an excellent choice.

Comment

Thanks Gigawatts and namastepat. I've previously had a quick look ad Launchbox and Bigbox, as a combo they look great, but it does require the purchase of a Premium license (US$20) to get the Bigbox capability. I'll keep checking for free options, but that option failing I'll investigate Launchbox more. Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for everyone help and suggestions.

I got everything running great with Attract-Mode, used these links to get it working nicely including hiding/modding the windows 7 login and logout:-

(To set up Attract-Mode. As I was only setting up MAME and no other emulator, I didn't add BizHawk)

HIDING WINDOWS 7 - 2015 TUTORIAL - COMPLETE (to hide and also change Windows appearance, but I didn't do the Shell option in his "Configure Instantsheller" steps, I just changed explorer in regex as per the next link).

Booting into AM from startup on Windows 7 definitive method? (specifically how "Escape-to-88" says he modifies REGEX in his first post).
                      Last edited by KISA; 28 May 2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Which skin did you choose for Attract Mode?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Rustler77 View Post
                          Which skin did you choose for Attract Mode?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I used NAVATO as suggested in youtube link. It has an easy to use and nice looks for my cocktail cabinet.

Comment

Goods thread guys
                            Thank you
                            Regards

Dez

DSB Electrical
                            DSB Electrical Facebook
                            VAPS
                            Vector Monitor Repro Parts
                            Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

Comment

Originally posted by KISA View Post
                              I used NAVATO as suggested in youtube link. It has an easy to use and nice looks for my cocktail cabinet.
                              If you want a theme with as little bling as possible, I have a modified grid layout you can use.
                              You just need snapshots of each game and a couple of sounds.
                              (The modification removes all animations in the original grid layout)

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X