Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

RYGAR (bootleg)

I had just received this in a box of PCB from another member so it was luck I guess (or fate??)

Anyway the PCB is not JAMMA so had to make a harness, powered it up and immediatly noticed one half of the screen had static garbage on the crosshatch screen but not the initail screen with tecmo on it and also in game half of the images were not displayed or were in the wrong spot (for sprites).

Hmmm thinking cap on.... OK its probably ram and on this board there are two layers the bottom being the video board so I went straight there.

A small note at this stage I should make is that upon inspection I did notice some blackened tracks indicating corrosion under some tracks from some form of liquid spilled on the video PCB side.

Anyway noted 2 x 6116 large ram on either side of the single row of ROMs a huge bank of 4064's (screen buffer??) and 1 x 2016 (probably sprite ram)

I figured out that the 2 x 6116 were responsible for loading the screen data and seeing as there were two and half the screen was muck and the other half was OK it seemed like a good place to start.

Checking with a probe showed everything was pulsing OK so decided to check the tracks where I had noted corrison before.... I dont fancy removing good ram for a lousy broken track and sure enough that was what it was...

Probing through about 20 odd traces revieled that one had a hairline crack.

I decided to make good all the tracks in one go so removed the PCB coating to reveal copper track, repair the trace that was broken and reseal with PCB laquer.

• Like 1

• 12 years later...

Thank you for that excellent turorial repairing the Rygar pcb!

I have a similar pcb with a fault "the background sun blinks fast"

I am still investigating which IC is responsible for this fault.

Thnx again & greetings from Argentina.

89f16ede2d99f61200784384a60010ee.thumb.jpg.49fad740c600710d4faeac1c337af0e1.jpg

de5647e698432b679781cbbe65cd5206.thumb.jpg.6f835f220c8bda73d1635ca76ea0dd74.jpg

@GameDude

That was a very old thread back from 2007 but Dorian may be able to help.

WoW so long ago.... Been a while but of the top I would check the sockets especially the larger ones holding the "not so custom" sub boards, these are often responsible for problems because of there size they cause problems with socket fatigue. Just a flashing image like the sun in the background could be a ROM thats bad or also has a bad socket.

You could try applying pressure to the board while running and note if the problem changes (indicating the socket problem being likely).

Also check the board for damage, cut tracks from bad storage, pins bent on one another, again the location of the ROM holding the graphics in question would be the best start (you can find it by removing the ROMs one at a time and see what graphics is affected but be careful in removal and correct re insertion!

With luck its bent pins, a bad trace can be repaired with wire and solder if your good at that, sockets can be cleaned in some cases if your no good at replacing them...

Further to that you need a logic probe, solder iron and some basic knowledge to go further...

• Like 2