Defense Command to Defender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense Command to Defender

Welp I've finally worked it out. I bought a couple of Defense command Rev2 pcbs off jumpydoctor awhile back which i fixed up.
    One of the things I wanted to do(just for the sake of doing it) is get the Defender program running on defense command.
    Basically Defense command is exactly the same as defender. The bottoms boards are almost identical to the old revision defender ones like what the White Label run on. The top board combines Defenders ROM, IO and sound boards all into 1 neat little PCB.
    The Rev2 has some good improvements over the Rev1 as in all the setups buttons are on the pcb, common sound amp and best of all no stupid molex plugs.
    Hardest part was working out the rom order. The Rev2 defense command which I've never seen before uses all (8) 4k 2732 while The older Rev1 boards use 3 2532 and 7 2716s exactly the same as what the Defender White Label is. When you join the Rev1 defense command roms in the right order they match the Rev2s perfectly.
    Using the MAME source I was able to work out rom order and then join the necessary roms to work on the Rev2 board.
    Welp anyway it worked and I'm pretty damn pleased with myself. Only problem i encountered was all the player buttons were stuck down except ADV, AUTO, HSR, coin and plr starts. Was a simple mod of grounding a pin on a 74ls240 to enable the chip again. For some reason with the defender code it messed this circuit up..weird.
    Pic one is the older Rev1 pcb belonging to Tom, Pic 2-4 is my Rev2 running defender.
    I do have a original Red label defender board I was going to use in a dedicated cab in the works but think I'll use this little beauty instead

UPDATE
    Here are the rom files. Defender on Defense HW.zip
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Arcade King; 10th December 2014, 04:04 PM.

Holy Crap !!! Well Done !!

Comment

Congrats on getting it all up and running, you have my envy, best game ever IMO.

Comment

Well done Trav.
        The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

i have one of those boards in a tatio its never been 100%

Comment

Just edited my post to correct some errors. its actually a Revision 2 not mk2 lol.

Originally posted by gatherer000 View Post
            i have one of those boards in a tatio its never been 100%
            I find 99% of the time its the 4116 rams which cause the problem. My board can me very flakey at times and its due to the very poor quality single wipe sockets they used for these rams back in 1853. I can preactically just pull the rams out of the sockets with my fingers with little effort. If you move the board I get graphic glitches. There like 24 sockets to replace so its on the "to do " list but on my board ive narrowed it down to about 2 realy bad sockets.

Comment

Well done

Comment

Whatdayaknow! It turns out i have a set of the Revision 1 Defense Command PCBs! It was lookin a bit lonely in defense command world for a while there. Have not yet found any info on these board sets though.

Any clues on where to look for schematics or other info (I have scrounged a lot of Defender stuff but still looking for Defense Comand stuff.) ? And any photos or details of the taito defense command cabs anywhere ?
                HookedOnDefender,TimePilot,CrushRoller,1942,Pacman [original ghost in the machine!] VIDS: DefenceCmnd, Defender(2),Stargate(2),Joust,Joust2,MoonPatrol,Ph oenix,PolePositionII, Pacman, MsPacman, DKJr, MarioBros, LunarRescue,SegaTurbo,FujiSpeedRace PINS: Gottlieb Gladiators WANTED: Robotron, Sinistar, Maketrax, Timepilot & Defender Pinball! SOLD:Qix,Qbert TRADED:Gorf

Comment

Only things I could find are attached, I haven't really working on a revision 1 before.

defense-command.pdf
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just found the attached pinoout plus info for Defence Command on my PCB. Have had it for ages and forgot about it, can't even remember where I got it from.

Enjoy.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the extra info ! A few more weeks prep and i'll be ready to fire it up :{)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by andykmv; 18th May 2009, 07:22 AM. Reason: Add photos
                      HookedOnDefender,TimePilot,CrushRoller,1942,Pacman [original ghost in the machine!] VIDS: DefenceCmnd, Defender(2),Stargate(2),Joust,Joust2,MoonPatrol,Ph oenix,PolePositionII, Pacman, MsPacman, DKJr, MarioBros, LunarRescue,SegaTurbo,FujiSpeedRace PINS: Gottlieb Gladiators WANTED: Robotron, Sinistar, Maketrax, Timepilot & Defender Pinball! SOLD:Qix,Qbert TRADED:Gorf

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
                        Anybody with one of these PCBs interested in having this done give me a yell.
                        I know it's a long time ago trav but i just got a revision b working and was wondering if you still had the rom files you made up to convert to defender?

cheers ben.
                        Wanted Taito or universal cabinet any condition dead or alive.

Comment

Never played defence command. Is it much different from Defender?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by visy View Post
                            Never played defence command. Is it much different from Defender?
                            Pretty well identical it contains around 85% defender code according to the lawsuit filed by williams against artic in the 80's bit of a write-up here.http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=def...=detail&id=615
                            the only differences i can tell are some colours and titlescreens ect.
                            Wanted Taito or universal cabinet any condition dead or alive.

Comment

sorry for the late reply. Will try and dig them up over the weekend for you.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X