Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

River Patrol Repair

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • River Patrol Repair

    Dezbaz sent me his River Patrol boards to have a look at.

    Game is based on hacked Crazy Kong hardware. Pinout is pretty much the same except controls.

    Dez sent me out 2 sets, swapping top and bottom boards over I managed to get 1 working set with some faults.

    Problem: theres 2 of main boat sprite showing on the screen one where it should be and the other on the right. This eventually degraded to fussy horizontal lines.
    Fix: Faulty TI 74ls161 @ 2A bottom board.

    Problem : Running game for a few hours a new fault developed. Displays BADRAM 8800 80 with a blue screen and a big square of garbled graphics taking up 1/4 of the screen in the bottom right.

    Fix: Bad 5101 ram @ 5C on the bottom PCB, replaced with AM9101/2101

    Problem: Game sound is not right.
    Fix: Faulty AY3-8910 on the top board @ 6S

    Will leave the PCB running over night to make sure shes 100%

    I've also worked out the pinouts and attached them.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    One of my all time favourites, nice save
    "Beer, it does a belly good!"

    Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

    Comment


    • #3
      looks fun trav
      you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

      Comment


      • #4
        Amazing Travis

        Cheers mate!
        Regards

        Dez

        DSB Electrical
        DSB Electrical Facebook
        VAPS
        Vector Monitor Repro Parts
        Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

        Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

        Comment


        • #5
          i'm constantly amazed at how you guys figure these things out! I'm interested in picking up a few games one day, but can imagine them just sitting in the garage once something goes wrong...
          Danny Galaga- the man with no signature...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dezbaz View Post
            Amazing Travis

            Cheers mate!
            no worries mate. Ran the game over night and shes still 100% so I'll send it back Tomorrow for you.

            Originally posted by danny_galaga View Post
            i'm constantly amazed at how you guys figure these things out! I'm interested in picking up a few games one day, but can imagine them just sitting in the garage once something goes wrong...
            nothing more satisfying to me than getting these old game up and running again MAME is fantastic but its still not as good as the real deal
            Last edited by Arcade King; 29th May 2009, 05:09 AM. Reason: Auto Merged Double Post.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Arcade King View Post

              I've also worked out the pinouts and attached them.
              Do you think it is worth submitting the PCB pinouts file to coinop? or KLOV?
              I'm pretty sure there is no listing anywhere to date. There is a silverland pinouts here (the falcon original)

              http://www.coinop.org/kb_dl.aspx/KB/...silverland.txt

              Similar . . .

              Anyway if you like I can send your text file to the 2 sites mentioned??
              Regards

              Dez

              DSB Electrical
              DSB Electrical Facebook
              VAPS
              Vector Monitor Repro Parts
              Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

              Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

              Comment


              • #8
                Finally fixed the board after stuffing the ram with an incorrect harness

                I think I will test this in my cab, as the test bench shows too much red



                Got ram from the US, fitted a socket, fitted the ram & hey presto!

                Thanks again Trav!
                Regards

                Dez

                DSB Electrical
                DSB Electrical Facebook
                VAPS
                Vector Monitor Repro Parts
                Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

                Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Its not actually too much red, its too little of another colour, usually the total loss of one, as all the colours you see on the screen are made up of mixing the RGB signals the loss of one colour ends up looking like too much of the other.

                  Looks like you are missing the blue signal.

                  First thing to do is to triple check your harness that you have the RGBs going to the right pins, its easy to get them arse about face, have done in many times myself.
                  Sic transit gloria Atari!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Womble View Post
                    Its not actually too much red, its too little of another colour, usually the total loss of one, as all the colours you see on the screen are made up of mixing the RGB signals the loss of one colour ends up looking like too much of the other.

                    Looks like you are missing the blue signal.

                    First thing to do is to triple check your harness that you have the RGBs going to the right pins, its easy to get them arse about face, have done in many times myself.
                    Yeah I think you're right womble

                    I tried this PCB in my other cabs, and it has a black background, whereas in MAME the background is blue

                    There is blue. When I disconnected the blue wire the screen changed and blue actually dissappeared.

                    I must have crossed green and blue or something

                    ....................
                    EDIT: I just tried swapping R, G & B around, ALL combinations

                    Still no blue background

                    Do you think the blue background is controlled by a chip? IE a faulty chip?
                    Last edited by dezbaz; 9th October 2009, 12:17 AM. Reason: Auto Merged Double Post.
                    Regards

                    Dez

                    DSB Electrical
                    DSB Electrical Facebook
                    VAPS
                    Vector Monitor Repro Parts
                    Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

                    Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      yeah mate either your missing the blue all together or theres another fault there.

                      Well done for getting it up and going again! was my pinout correct?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
                        yeah mate either your missing the blue all together or theres another fault there.
                        Cool, cheers for that
                        When the blue wire is disconnected the screen goes darker, and small bits of blue dissappear, so blue is working a bit. That leads to a fault as you say

                        Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
                        Well done for getting it up and going again! was my pinout correct?
                        There is a "36" labelled on the PCB edge connector, so I had to invert the pins

                        IE what you had as pin 1, was 36
                        and what you had as V was 1, and A was 18

                        I worked out the pinouts and will post them up tonight.

                        I also found a cocktail mode in the dip switches, so screen flips if dip 5 is ON

                        These Crazy Kong boards (Pinouts) must be all designed by different people, so you have to be aware of these confusing things.

                        (I have seen this B4 with a few of my other CK boards)

                        I also found out this is NOT ORCA, as orca has a opening credits in the attract mode (I was looking at MAME)

                        Interesting!

                        EDIT 2: Pinouts

                        Last edited by dezbaz; 11th October 2009, 09:57 PM. Reason: Auto Merged Double Post.
                        Regards

                        Dez

                        DSB Electrical
                        DSB Electrical Facebook
                        VAPS
                        Vector Monitor Repro Parts
                        Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

                        Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Pinout labelling schemes are a pain in the arse, many board manufactureres decided not to use some of the letters in case they confused people, have seen boards where it I O and G are skipped, makes it dangerous if you are making a harness and dont notice it when you are counting the pins.

                          Its hard to tell from your photo whats going on as the screen looks like it needs a degaus, so what shows up as blue may not be caused by the blue gun. However if screen changes when you disconnect blue that suggests a more serious fault. It could be the 1st chip upstream of the blue output or it could be a dozen chips back. Its hard to predict the damage that can be caused by squirting power up the wrong tracks. Its worth checking no tracks were burnt out tho.
                          Sic transit gloria Atari!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Womble View Post
                            Pinout labelling schemes are a pain in the arse, many board manufactureres decided not to use some of the letters in case they confused people, have seen boards where it I O and G are skipped, makes it dangerous if you are making a harness and dont notice it when you are counting the pins.

                            Its hard to tell from your photo whats going on as the screen looks like it needs a degaus, so what shows up as blue may not be caused by the blue gun. However if screen changes when you disconnect blue that suggests a more serious fault. It could be the 1st chip upstream of the blue output or it could be a dozen chips back. Its hard to predict the damage that can be caused by squirting power up the wrong tracks. Its worth checking no tracks were burnt out tho.
                            That pin I put 12V down is connected to a thin trace, going right up to the ribbons onto the other boards, I will follow it properly as a next step.
                            Regards

                            Dez

                            DSB Electrical
                            DSB Electrical Facebook
                            VAPS
                            Vector Monitor Repro Parts
                            Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

                            Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Am afraid you might need to post it off for some TLC again, tracking down issues like this can be very simple, (see my Midnight Resistance repair), or a real pain in the arse (see the Legendary Wings repair). The more troubleshooting tools you have the easier it can be, if you have a logic probe its a start but even that can be misleading.
                              Sic transit gloria Atari!

                              Comment

                              Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X