Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Data I/O 29B Resource

• Administrators

Going to start compiling useful information on running these things.

Useful Links.

Pictures and a heap of manuals plus device lists.

http://www.pestingers.net/Data_IO_29B.htm

Memory upgrade guide

Software

Info on making a serial cable

Device list

http://retroclinic.com/leopardcats/dio/dataio29b.htm

Software

http://mikesarcade.com/arcade/promlink.html

Data I/O 29B Proms dumped and documented by Johns Arcade (cheers mate)

Download HERE

Edited by Arcade King

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After spending time to get the Data I/O 29B programmer working I thought this may help the next person.

Just like to add a note that the programmer I have here is an older version firmware etc. Type "select", "B","2", "start" to display memory and firmware version. Mine is a 128k unit with V4 firmware.

The older version uses a 4 digit family and pin-out code not the 6 digit like the later firmware version.

To get mine to work with a late model PC took some effort but it can be made to work, The version of PROMlink provided by Mikesarcade is required, the cable made as per retroclinic information, also needs to constructed.

The setting needed to get it to communicate took some time to sort so heres how to make it easier for the next person.

The "Status Switch" under the Unipac or logicPak etc should be set to sw 1 off, sw2 off, sw3 on, sw4 off. So this set it up to Parity odd, Parity off, Stop bits 1, CRC normal.

Baud Rate on the back set to switch position 14 or E for 9600

Next set up PROMlink

In the options menu select programmer type in my case 29B UniPak,

Next Programmer port set options to COM1, Baud rate 9600, Parity none, Data Bits 8, Stop Bits 1

Last Terminal emulation again in my case “29unipak.dev” was selected.

And the last step get is to get the programmer into Remote Mode, this is done by entering “Select”, “F”, “1” , “Start”, “Start”. If all has worked out the programmer should be displaying Remote Mode

and if you set a device type from PROMlink then the programmer should now be able to perform functions like “Blank Check” etc.

To save the ROM's data you will need to use "Absolute Binary" when selecting to I/O Format this should be option 16 in the menu. The save option is found in the Data menu "Create File from Ram". Once saved the bin file should be able to read and check summed as per normal Checksum-16 format.

I am using an older laptop Dell Latitude D830 Core2 Duo with XP Sp3 as the operating system. PROMlink is not required to run in any special way so should just operate from the the .exe as normal. The older Dell does still have the RS232 port so I have not needed to try using a USB to RS adapter.

Grant

• 7 years later...

I've made a cheap-ish 1MBytes (or 512K, if one uses a single SRAM IC) memory expansion for the 29B, it uses a PAL22V10 (or GAL22V10, with the proper jedec) and few other 74LS or 74HCT smd chips, other than of course the 512Kx8 SRAMs. Jedec and gerbers are available, just ask me. I have (at the moment) still a spare unpopulated PCB, but it might not be a great deal, due to shipping costs if outside EU/Italy.

I've also made a conversion PCB to transform the Data I/O 29A to 29B (latest 29B firmware, 1MB Ram ), that was asked by a 29A's owner, I unfortunately don't have a 29A myself. However that person so far "disappeared", so if anyone with a 29A feels like trying the conversion, again I have all details and gerbers available.

HTH

Frank IZ8DWF

• Like 3