Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Data I/O 29B

Hi Guys

Does anyone know what the pinouts are for the serial port on the Data I/O 29B. Just brought one off ebay and wanna test it. Are the pinouts straight serial or null modem pinouts? Does anyone use one of these? any info would be great

Dave

Hi Guys

Does anyone know what the pinouts are for the serial port on the Data I/O 29B. Just brought one off ebay and wanna test it. Are the pinouts straight serial or null modem pinouts? Does anyone use one of these? any info would be great

Dave

Yes, I have one. You will need a null modem. If you just want to test it you can just run it as a stand alone unit.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Sorry Trev, you can use mine if you like :-). Thanks guys, I'll make a null modem cable, it's coming from the US and is untested. I have another question directed at yourself John, do you need the calibration extender to calibrate the programming modules, ie uni or logicpaks? I have read through the manual and there's a procedure for voltage calibration and module dc calibration, is this necessary to calibrate the unipaks also?

Sorry Trev, you can use mine if you like :-). Thanks guys, I'll make a null modem cable, it's coming from the US and is untested. I have another question directed at yourself John, do you need the calibration extender to calibrate the programming modules, ie uni or logicpaks? I have read through the manual and there's a procedure for voltage calibration and module dc calibration, is this necessary to calibrate the unipaks also?

I have never had to calibrate mine as programming yields have always been high. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are having problems programming which is directly related to this issue.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade

i have all the manuals in hard copy and I think in Soft copy somewhere as well as the manuals for some of the add-on modules (i can't recall off the top of my head)

I bought mine from the US a while back and work and ther matters overtook me so I haven't played with it as much as I wanted to.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions

• 1 month later...
Yes, I have one. You will need a null modem. If you just want to test it you can just run it as a stand alone unit.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Hi John

I made the null modem cable and put the unit into remote mode but can't connect to it. I got the null modem pinouts from a leopardcats.com web archive, The baud rate selector on the back of this is cactus but I don't know if i could use someone else in it place, any ideas? What pinouts did you use john?

Hi John

I made the null modem cable and put the unit into remote mode but can't connect to it. I got the null modem pinouts from a leopardcats.com web archive, The baud rate selector on the back of this is cactus but I don't know if i could use someone else in it place, any ideas? What pinouts did you use john?

I'm using this under windows xp with mikes PROMLINK 6.10 xp patched app, the software works fine but can't talk to the programmer. I've played with rhw programmer stand alone mode although i wasn't game to copy anything just let.

I used these pinouts from the leopardcats.com web archive

Programmer PC

2 to 2

3 to 3

4 to 8

5 to 7

6 to 1&6

7 to 5

20 to 4

I hear others have used this pinout without problems. Would anyone also know if the base unit without the unipak installed is supposed to display anything. Mine just beeps. Also then the unipak is installed, it does it's self test for a few seconds then displays the system 29b v02 (is it suppose to display self test ok?)

One more question, could i use a 8 select dip switch instead of the rotary switch. Also if anyone has a data i/o could they upload or email me a pic of there rotary switch. The one installed in this unit is cactus, I can't make out the markings or the arrow on the dial. Any info would be appreciated :-)

Yes with no UniPak etc plugged in, the programmer just beeps. With the UniPak plugged in the programmer should pass the self test.

I have no idea about any rotary dial?

you might find this site useful? http://www.pestingers.net/Data_IO_29B.htm

Hi Humpalot

All good mate, it was the cable i used. I got cheap and cut up an old serial cable from the 80s to make my null cable. After a trip to jaycar spending $1.40 on 1m of serial cable I was able to wire up a working cable. I've managed to successfully burn 2 x 2532 eproms for my crazy kong pcb, got 2 bad and waiting for some replacements via epromman.com. The rotary switch is on the back of the Data I/O to select the baud rate. I managed to guess 9600 baud. Thanks for the info, what site is useful, got the manuals from there but it seems to be down and only available via web archinve now.

Regards,

David