Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Neo Geo Bootleg PHUN!@!

• Administrators

I'll keep it short

Bored

Made NeoMrDo! out of a Samurai Showdown cart, why? why not? sorry Stu!

Q: Why did I choose Neo Mr Do! and Samurai Showdown.

A: Looking at the rom files in Mame Samurai Showdown pretty much matches the rom sizes as Mr Do. eg V1,C1 and C2 etc uses the same rom sizes 16mb. If they didnt match I'd have to spend ages trying to work out the jumper settings to change rom types :sleep

Mr Do uses a single 4 meg program rom where Samurai uses 1 8 meg and a 4 meg chip at P1 and EP1. I just joined MR Do program together to make a 8 meg files and programmed it onto a 27c800.....:sleep

Most annoying part was desoldering all the of Samurai's roms.

Mr Do was a great game to try and boot because its only small, uses 6 roms.

Anywayz programmed all the roms i needed soldered them back on the pcb (neo carts are so easy to work on) plugged it in and WHAM!

Last Step was to make a new label........see for yourself.

If I can get hold of some 32 meg roms(27c320) might try Puzzle Bobble 2 next.

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

DSC00252.jpg

There really is nothing wrong with ghostlop....you can complete the game and there is no bugs/lockups...unless of course you make it wrong.

Samsho2 / kof 95/96 (i think on the kof) are the carts to use as they are pretty much a straight rom swap.

AK i'll pay you and send you the samsho 2 if you can do me a ghostlop. I was going to do it myself but i'd have to get a burner for that and.....well i only need that one cart done :)

I'm not that opposed to bootlegs, i just don't want them in my collection :)

Nice work

Some info here....maybe not just a straight rom swap...

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137030&highlight=ghostlop

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127370&highlight=ghostlop

• Administrators

I'm only doing this to make use of some of these dime a dozen games and convert them into something rarer and better.

Some times its more cost effective to just buy the cart, its getting harder to find cheap roms to do this sort of thing.

Nightmare in the Dark looks like another goer.

I'm going to have a go at ghostlop in the new year i think. Your inspiring me AK. And i want to add it to my collection as well, and i'm gonna have to buy a bootleg made cart of it that someone else made anyways...

I just picked up two neo bomberman carts for $15 each......i took the punt on them....they will be boots i reckon but ah well. It's so expensive for such an average game.

Post how you go on your NITD if you make one up. NITD is a cool game until you play snow bros and then it just seems crappy :) But alas it's another game i don't have yet :(

Puzzle de Pon R and Puzzle Bobble 2 would be two games to do also. I'm thinking both games aren't so easy to boot otherwise there would be boots everywhere of both games....I'm surpried there isnt more twinkle star sprites bootlegs...that game is really not common and pretty wanted...

• Administrators

yeah I paid $66 for a neo bomberman recently and turned out to be a bootleg :( felt pretty ripped but my son loves the game plays it non stop.

When I think about it I could have made my own much cheaper.

Twinkle Star is another on my list. i'll be using the bootleg set for NITD because it splits the 32 meg roms into 16 meg which makes it easier to use a crappy game like SS to sac.

• Administrators
i agree with stu - puzzle bobble 2 would be a great boot to have.

let us know if you have any breakthrus.

unless the game has some sort of encryption it shouldn't be a problem.

Anybody got any faulty carts they want to get rid of? give me a yell.

I bid on a legit puzzle bob 2 last week on us ebay....i was gonna go for it but there was another bidder going for it to and this particular person usually bids big on stuff like that so i let it go :(

Gotta say after playing the game (puzbob2) it's pretty average. Not worth the $$ it goes for. 1 is better and puz de pon is better to.

Twinkle star is another game that's bootlegged a fair bit....i cant see it being an easy one though as there would have to be a shit load more around for such a sought after game.....could be wrong though. I guess yaton makes alot of them.

Just got my programmer!!! :)

Been fuckin hanging to play with this since you posted this thread.

I really have no clue at all how to use a programmer, or how to do any of this stuff.. so i've spent the better half of the morning reading up and playing.

Gotta get me some chips now

The game data is the same, i think the problems arise from dodgy ways of hacking things to get stuff to work. But looking at AK's job, there is very little change aside from a few eproms...Some bootlegs i've seen are nasty lol......his bootleg is a very clean one :)

Correct me if im wrong.

• Administrators
Is it ok to just join a rom together with itself to double it's size? So you can just basically have the same data twice? You mentioned you did it so i guess its ok.....just doesnt sound right thats all.

I did that because Samurai Showdown's P1 rom was configured to take a 8 meg rom while Neo Mr Do! is only 4. because the 4 meg rom is only 40 pin not 42 I decided to take the easy path and just use a 8 meg rom. I didnt have to join the 2 images together, I just did it for the hell of it to fill the empty 4 megs of space.

• Administrators

Well heres my second boot (third actually) Ghostlop

Used a Samsho program and KOF96 character pcb. no particular reason I could have used sam sho to do it. I've been working on Puzzle Bobble 2 but am stuck, I've got graphics 100% but sound is just SCREWED! Originally I though it could have been the KOF95 program board because the carts sound was stuffed to begin with. There were 2 bad roms on the KOF95 so I naturally assumed that was the cause. I decided to sac my 96 cart to confirm, reason being needed a cart that supported 32meg V roms (sound samples) still the same.

Anyway back to Ghostlop, as you can see I've only taken the roms I needed to of the character board and disabled the rest. Just saves heaps of time in desoldering..me=lazy.

For some reason this game will not work on my 1 slot MV1F but works perfect on my 6 slot. At first I thought i did something wrong because when I was testing it on my 1 slot it just reset after the Data East screen...so who know.

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00283.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

• Administrators

2 more games to add to my bootleged list.

Pop n Bounce (Fun rare game)

Spinmasters. Spent a lot of time on this one. Nothing worse than soldering in 8 42 pins roms only to find you used the wrong Character board :x

I'm now officially out of 8 meg roms but was worth it!.

Successes

Neo MrDo!

Ghostlop

Pop n Bounce

Spinmasters

Failures :x

Puzzle Bobble 2

Viewpoint

Both of these ive had issues with garbled sound. I really need to get hold of originals specially for viewpoint and map the address lines.

I won a KOF95 cart on ebay so im going to try that for PB2. The pics of seen of the inside of the PB2 cart look identical to KOF95. I did have a kof95 but the PCM sound chip was stuffed in it.

DSC00287.jpg

DSC00289.jpg

DSC00291.jpg