Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customised HDD image for xxxx-1 systems inc Laserdisc Games - anyone want one ?

Collapse

Discuss multi boards here IE:1000 in 1, 48 in 1 etc

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by canussie View Post
    Does anyone have a live link to this anymore?
    Hey I downloaded the flynns image .tib file that is mentioned at the start of this thread. It literally only has 1 game on it but I am sure with a bit of fiddling I can get it to rotate screen for the cocktail cab. Just need more verti games first but its a great help to know that my board itself is ok its just the hard drive thats playing up.

Comment

• I have a CF->IDE adapter in my xxxx-in-1 and run everything off CF. Its 32G, trying without luck to use Acronis to put a Flynn image on it. Anyone have any luck restoring to a CF or SD device?

Comment

• Originally posted by canussie View Post
        I have a CF->IDE adapter in my xxxx-in-1 and run everything off CF. Its 32G, trying without luck to use Acronis to put a Flynn image on it. Anyone have any luck restoring to a CF or SD device?
        You may need to create a 'boot USB' from within Acronis and start the computer with that and then write the image to the CF card. I found best success doing it this way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beaglz-NZ View Post

You may need to create a 'boot USB' from within Acronis and start the computer with that and then write the image to the CF card. I found best success doing it this way.
          Thanks for the response, I have ended up replacing the WIndows based XXXX-in-1 box inside my cabinet with a Raspberry pi .

Comment

• Originally posted by kennyp View Post

Hey I downloaded the flynns image .tib file that is mentioned at the start of this thread. It literally only has 1 game on it but I am sure with a bit of fiddling I can get it to rotate screen for the cocktail cab. Just need more verti games first but its a great help to know that my board itself is ok its just the hard drive thats playing up.
            There's around 1000 games on the Flynns image I made, including all the best vertical games, non-stretched.

Not sure why you're only seeing one, but i'd say that's a problem on your end, not the image.
            Last edited by Jed; 11 August 2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Everyone,

Been quite awhile since i posted but i took some holidays to catch up on some holidays and finally started tackling my dying 1315 KE machine. Tried to use acronis v12 i think and that didn't seem to work with the images i got with considerable help from BeagleNZ. Huge props for the wealth of precious images he shared with me over mega upload. As well, huge props to the author of the flynn image Jammasized/Jed.

After becoming a little more accustomed to getting acronis to work, i found a bootable USB disk to be possible and recognizable by my work lenovo laptop as a windows 8/10 32 bit disk after the newest latest version of acronis asked for a tonne of bloatware to be added in the form of windowsadk or something and windowPE; seemed pointless to add for additional driver detection but can't move forward without it.
              Note, even downloaded AIK for windows 7 32bit USB disk and this did not work, so i wouldn't bother with this.

Once again attempted throwing the 2100 image on SD card in compact flash adapter to IDE and no good on arcade machine, showed games family screen when booting on laptop but then a blue screen on ACPI drivers. This same thing happened when i tried to put this image on the sata to ide adapter with a kingston 128gb drive. games family screen loads and ACPI crash; but unbootable on arcade machine 1315 KE board.

As the night got late, decided to do a hail mary and wipe the old 20gb seagate, make an MBR with a new active primary partition in FAT32. recovered flynn's image onto it after carefully tweaking the recover function by selecting all partitions but NOT the disk as a whole otherwise it would grey out my 20gb IDE as it was not large enough to completely image all the free space since the image was based on either a 60 or 80gb disc (can't remember). Once i carved up the partitions to have less free space (don't care about having mp3's for jukebox as i have distributed audio that sounds much better than my arcade's single speaker); i threw the switch and it started loading along. Had one issue that seemed like an easy "continue down the rabbit hole" thanks to google camera translate to figure out what the chinese windows prompt error was and it was a page file size issue. Seeing as i only left an extra 100MB left on the working drive partition i figured this is where it's trying to make a swap file.

Redid the image with an extra 3 gigs on this drive, plugged it and bam away this bad boy goes again!
              images and graphics definitely seem sharper than i recall on the old 1315 KE image. Very awesome that duplicate roms have been ripped out by JED and SNES emulator is absolutely stellar, never cared about sega so with having sonic anyways i'm missing nothing.

very cool to finally see laserdisc games although coin mech didn't let me add coins but i see that apparently button 5 or 6 adds coins and pretty sure i didn't try that so will give that a whirl. also good to see after reading all 45 pages to date that having a usb key plugged in at boot while then let me change the ui cancel mapping by pressing tab on the keyboard.

many of you have been a superb help with this great thread. hoping to tweak some dip switch settings as well on ms. pacman to see if i can't get the speed similar to ms. pac man champion edition. nothing like a turbo'ed midway ms. pacman! lol.

gonna double check to see if Killer instinct 2 made it on there as some said it was missing but i definitely saw the first KI through SNES emulator. very good pics on SNES roms in there. Still gonna bother to try to add a few more SNES roms in the relative folder cause i would love to try to play DOOM for SNES on stand up arcade controls. Works great on mod'ing an SNES classic for the PC version but standup arcade controls with 6 buttons sounds like a blast.

Never did get the SD/CF/IDE adapter or SSD SATA/IDE adapter to work but I'll end the book here for now but hopefully the recap helps anyone else wondering if they should read all 45 pages of posts lol.

👏 to beagleNZ 👏 Jed

Comment

• Originally posted by Gutterboy View Post
                Everyone,

Been quite awhile since i posted but i took some holidays to catch up on some holidays and finally started tackling my dying 1315 KE machine. Tried to use acronis v12 i think and that didn't seem to work with the images i got with considerable help from BeagleNZ. Huge props for the wealth of precious images he shared with me over mega upload. As well, huge props to the author of the flynn image Jammasized/Jed.

After becoming a little more accustomed to getting acronis to work, i found a bootable USB disk to be possible and recognizable by my work lenovo laptop as a windows 8/10 32 bit disk after the newest latest version of acronis asked for a tonne of bloatware to be added in the form of windowsadk or something and windowPE; seemed pointless to add for additional driver detection but can't move forward without it.
                Note, even downloaded AIK for windows 7 32bit USB disk and this did not work, so i wouldn't bother with this.

Once again attempted throwing the 2100 image on SD card in compact flash adapter to IDE and no good on arcade machine, showed games family screen when booting on laptop but then a blue screen on ACPI drivers. This same thing happened when i tried to put this image on the sata to ide adapter with a kingston 128gb drive. games family screen loads and ACPI crash; but unbootable on arcade machine 1315 KE board.

As the night got late, decided to do a hail mary and wipe the old 20gb seagate, make an MBR with a new active primary partition in FAT32. recovered flynn's image onto it after carefully tweaking the recover function by selecting all partitions but NOT the disk as a whole otherwise it would grey out my 20gb IDE as it was not large enough to completely image all the free space since the image was based on either a 60 or 80gb disc (can't remember). Once i carved up the partitions to have less free space (don't care about having mp3's for jukebox as i have distributed audio that sounds much better than my arcade's single speaker); i threw the switch and it started loading along. Had one issue that seemed like an easy "continue down the rabbit hole" thanks to google camera translate to figure out what the chinese windows prompt error was and it was a page file size issue. Seeing as i only left an extra 100MB left on the working drive partition i figured this is where it's trying to make a swap file.

Redid the image with an extra 3 gigs on this drive, plugged it and bam away this bad boy goes again!
                images and graphics definitely seem sharper than i recall on the old 1315 KE image. Very awesome that duplicate roms have been ripped out by JED and SNES emulator is absolutely stellar, never cared about sega so with having sonic anyways i'm missing nothing.

very cool to finally see laserdisc games although coin mech didn't let me add coins but i see that apparently button 5 or 6 adds coins and pretty sure i didn't try that so will give that a whirl. also good to see after reading all 45 pages to date that having a usb key plugged in at boot while then let me change the ui cancel mapping by pressing tab on the keyboard.

many of you have been a superb help with this great thread. hoping to tweak some dip switch settings as well on ms. pacman to see if i can't get the speed similar to ms. pac man champion edition. nothing like a turbo'ed midway ms. pacman! lol.

gonna double check to see if Killer instinct 2 made it on there as some said it was missing but i definitely saw the first KI through SNES emulator. very good pics on SNES roms in there. Still gonna bother to try to add a few more SNES roms in the relative folder cause i would love to try to play DOOM for SNES on stand up arcade controls. Works great on mod'ing an SNES classic for the PC version but standup arcade controls with 6 buttons sounds like a blast.

Never did get the SD/CF/IDE adapter or SSD SATA/IDE adapter to work but I'll end the book here for now but hopefully the recap helps anyone else wondering if they should read all 45 pages of posts lol.

👏 to beagleNZ 👏 Jed
                Thanks for the write-up. Glad some people are still getting some joy out of the Flynns image!

What part of Canada are you from ? My sister is a Canadian, well she's spent the last 30 years there anyhow. Lives in Ymir, a tiny little town near Nelson, BC.

Comment

• I spent 7 years in Calgary

Comment

• I live in Calgary Alberta in Canada so a bit east of Nelson.

Alas I didn't get much time on the flynn image even after I modified the partition space for it to work on the 20gb ide drive as I got my parts to try a startech ide to sata converter with same image and now I don't even get the bios boot up screen with an external monitor. Fans fire up and green led on the dual motherboard setup but just nothing on the screen for me to diagnose anything on HDD detection or anything. Tried putting old ide HDD back in and nothing still. I have zero options with no display or beeps from the motherboard. Even tried changing cmos battery with no change or effect.

I can't think of anything that has changed so I am stunned here and I know it was booting without the 12v atx 4 pin connector as I beleive if I recall correctly that power connector isn't used at all.

Guess I might be slamming in a Pandora dx jamma box in this thing sooner than later.....

Thoughts?

One other weird thing I found was that button 4 on player one didn't respond and neither did button 5 on player 2 when trying to map out mortal kombat better. May have just been a bad jamma connector fitment or something? All my soldering was well proven when the old 1315 in one killer edition image was running so doubt anything changed there.

Comment

• Follow up...

Found a bummed contact on one of the buttons on player 1. Burnished up the contact and its all good.

Looks like my coin mech was improperly wired as somehow they were using a button for this.

The Io check on Pandora box dx was quite helpful for this.

Had to install a pause button for better functionality with the dx.

Some Snes games bog down a bit especially with the music like doom but all in all its really good and killer instinct works quite fine.

My only sadness is losing some of my favorite Atari games like berzerk, crackpots, and yars revenge.

Luckily an Atari emulator on a Snes classic with retroarch works like a charm as well as Wolfenstein, doom and Quake. Amazing what hakchi can do to that thing.

I have yet to see whether my Ps2 trackball will even work with this using a startech Ps2 to USB converter. Not gonna hold my breath.

Goodbye my 1315 KE board. Rust in peace at an electronics recycler.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                      Working...
                      X