Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamebox hard disk cloning

Hi

I'm new to this forum and I have found some good info. I have a GameBox 200 in 1 that uses a hard disk and the disk is starting to die!! Sometimes makes strange noises. I am trying to clone the hard disk but to no avail. I have tried Ghost, HDClone and Winhex softwares. I would also like to add a few more games to the hard drive. Anybody got some advice?

Is the software not suitable or is the hdd too badly damaged for the software too read?

Not used it on a gamebox specifically but google for some 'dd' tutorials, it will clone anything. very easy too use, lots of guides around also. Grab yourself a knoppox boot disc and should be fine.
    - My random bits | - A Wah!Cade wiki | - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | |

Comment

For any Arcade-cloning I use Norton Ghost2K3 which runs in DOS mode (I boot it off a USB stick).

It has a 'forensic' mode (the '-ir' flag below) which performs an exact 1-1 duplication.

ghost2k3 -ir -clone,mode=copy,src=1,dst=2
      However... be aware that it is possible to securely lock a HDD to a device a-la Xbox version 1 and a cloned disk will not have the same security code so may not work. This may have been done with some arcade gear..
      Q.Are we not men? A.We are DEVO!

Comment

Generally the locking tends to only be with large volume manufacturers (like Microsoft for the Xbox), so I don't think we'll be seeing any non-cloneable HDD's soon.

If Ghost will not work, try DD as suggested earlier - otherwise it sounds like the drive is on the way out, too far gone to be cloned . What is the software based on - can you try and read off the roms/custom software and rebuild the Windows bit yourself?
        "And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside,
        far above the clouds, and nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sounds of Tubular Bells"

Comment

Many of the XXXX-in-1 manufacturers have simple anti-drive-cloning tools loaded with their systems. Most are a simple check of the hard disk serial number against a locally stored config file, which is enough to stop the system working on a cloned disk.

There are a number of AAers who've run into this problem, and so far nobody's been able to find a way around it.
          | |

Comment

Oh don't say that, you'll bloody tempt me to look into cracking it now!
            "And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside,
            far above the clouds, and nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sounds of Tubular Bells"

Comment

Might be a silly question, but if you removed the HDD circuit board and placed it on the exact same model drive along with the cloning would that work?
              Or is the firmware stored internally?

Comment

Originally posted by _Dan_ View Post
                Might be a silly question, but if you removed the HDD circuit board and placed it on the exact same model drive along with the cloning would that work?
                Or is the firmware stored internally?
                Yes that would work, providing that the problem is not with the drive's PCB (most of the time the PCB is fine though).

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                  Oh don't say that, you'll bloody tempt me to look into cracking it now!
                  Have a shot at it and share your findings. There'll be a lot of happy AAers if you break it.
                  | |

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                    Have a shot at it and share your findings.
                    id like to have a shot with one of these

rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on
                    if your new to electronics and

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                      Have a shot at it and share your findings. There'll be a lot of happy AAers if you break it.
                      Just need to get my hands on one .

Comment

Would be interested in having a go at this lockout system as well.

If anyone has a unit to borrow or one that is dead and not working would like to get access to it.

Comment

Here's me waiting for someone to say "stick the HDD in the freezer".

Comment

I have found this quote it might help...
                            "serial number or whatever is the four bytes at offset 0x01B8 in the Master Boot Record; you can change it with a disk editor."
                            So you might be able to get the code off the old drive and inset it into a new disk to work around the issue. This of I guess will only work if you can read the drive in the 1st place...
                            Movies are very educational. Example: I wouldn't never guess that a shoot in head can kill a zombie...

Comment

Originally posted by t1ckt0ck View Post
                              Here's me waiting for someone to say "stick the HDD in the freezer".
                              damn!!!

u beat the rest of us to it!

if that fails , remember you can hit it with one of these

rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on
                              if your new to electronics and

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X