Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - XXXX-in-1 and Jamma Cabinet wiring issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - XXXX-in-1 and Jamma Cabinet wiring issues...

Hey guys,

I've got some issues with my new 1066-in1 cabinet that I am trying to modify to XXXX-in-1.

I bought this 1066-in-1 4 Player cabinet:

http://www.pinnaclewholesalers.com.a...e6af2a385b3159

An am now trying to modify it by removing the Black GameBox it came with from Pinnacle Wholesalers and installing this XXXX-in-1 Killer Edition system from Jamma Boards in the US with upgraded CPU & games:

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/106.../prod_243.html

However, when I connected the new system, it loads up but none of the buttons or joysticks work at all. Which makes me think that either:

(a) The new Jamma Boards XXXX-in-1 Killer Edition system doesn?t conform with standard Jamma wiring pinout conventions; or
    (b) The cabinet I bought from Pinnacle Wholesalers doesn?t conform with standard Jamma wiring pinout conventions; or
    (c) I have stuffed up when connecting up the new system.

The steps I have taken to install the new system are:

1. Disconnect the Cabinet's 1P/2P and 3P/4P Jamma Connectors from the installed black GameBox.

2. Remove the existing black GameBox from the cabinet.

3. Install the new Jamma Boards XXXX-in-1 system & connect it up to the power supply.

4. Connect the Cabinet's 1P/2P Jamma Connector to the Jamma Boards XXXX-in-1 system.

5. Connect grey data cable from the Jamma Boards XXXX-in-1 system to the Jamma Boards 3P/4P addon Jamma chip.

6. Connect the Cabinet's 3P/4P Jamma Connector to the Jamma Boards 3P/4P addon Jamma chip.

I thought the system should work straight away once I switched it on... but unfortunately it doesn't. The display connects fine, and I can see the system boot up, and the Games Family (Killer Edition) menu comes up on the screen... but then none of the joysticks or buttons work, so I cant select any games or do anything.

So the issue to me seems to be that either the Jamma Boards XXXX-in-1 system or the Cabinet wiring mustn?t conform to standard Jamma pinouts? otherwise it would?ve worked!!!

What do you guys think?? Is there any easy way to check pinouts?? Or any other ideas of what I should try next??

I will take some pics tonight to try and make my explanation above a bit clearer.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Cabinets Owned:
    Operation Wolf: Taito Dedicated Cab
    Gun Bullet DX: Namco 50" DX Cab w/ Point Blank 1 & 2 PCBs
    4P Stand-Up Cab: XXXX-in-1 Killer Edition & Upgraded CPU
    Generic 80's Cab: Gyruss & Galaga PCBs

Wanted:
    Working Original Dedicated Artwork Cabs:
    Donkey Kong
    Spy Hunter

PCBs:
    Point Blank 3 PCB
    Bubble Bobble PCB

Ok, so the guys over at Jamma Boards have replied to me saying:

"It sounds like so far everything you have done is correct. Yes the 1069-in-1 unit does use the JAMMA pinout which I am sure your cabinet is also using.

Do you have the existing power supply connected and powered up through the JAMMA connector?

The ATX power supply provides power to the lower board (motherboard) while the existing cabinet power supply powers the upper board (JAMMA Interface). Without power going to the JAMMA interface (upper board), the unit will run and display normally on the screen however there will be no controls or sound."

It does sound like this is my problem, as I haven't connected up any power cables to the upper board.

Does anyone have any photos of what this connector should look like?? And also where is connects onto the upper board?? Cos otherwise I've got no idea what I'm looking for...

Cheers.
    Cabinets Owned:

Wanted:
    Donkey Kong
    Spy Hunter

PCBs:
    Point Blank 3 PCB
    Bubble Bobble PCB

Comment

should be a lead with a pc mobo plug comming off the new board mate

add that to the atx and you should be off
      you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

Hey narf_

I've already connected up the 20 pin PC motherboard plug coming off the new bottom board to the ATX power supply if that's what you're talking about?

However, apparently I also need to connect "the existing cabinet power supply to the upper board". I can't see where I'm supposed to plug power into the upper board (nor any instructions anywhere on it)... nor can I see a spare "existing cabinet power supply" lead to plug in anywhere.

It should be noted that my cabinet didn't originally have a Jamma game in it - it was specifically built for the black GameBox... which you just plug a big fat 3-pin computer power lead into the side of. So once I pulled the GameBox out, this is all of the power components that were left in the back of the cabinet (ignoring the ATX power supply in the foreground of the 1st pic... which is plugged into the 20 pin PC motherboard plug from the lower board):

Do I need to buy a standard Jamma power supply to plug into the top board?? Or if not, where on the upper board do I plug in an "existing cabinet power supply" lead, and what does on look like??

My best guess is 2 tiny little pins in the top right corner of the upper board here that are labelled "PWRIN"... is that it??

I can't see anything up the back of the cabinet that would plug into this... so am thinking I'm going to have to buy an arcade cabinet power supply to install in my cab to connect to it.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mikeymcd; 4th May 2009, 07:43 PM.
        Cabinets Owned:

Wanted:
        Donkey Kong
        Spy Hunter

PCBs:
        Point Blank 3 PCB
        Bubble Bobble PCB

Comment

could be mate

sounds like you dont have one in there. Id ask the seller about it as if they class that as a jamma machine it cant be if it doesnt have a proper PS

Comment

Ok use the aux drive plug from your atx p/s thats the one that usually powers CD /DVD players and hard drives in a computer,cut the plug off the end and splice it into the jamma harness ,red is 5v yellow is 12v and black is ground ,follow a standard jamma pinout to work out where they go and all your problems will be fixed
            http://pinouts.ru/Power/BigPower_pinout.shtml

Comment

mate

next time you pop your head in the cab and look at the jamma harness for P3andP4 can you tell me what wires on the top?

im working out the exact power wires to wire mine in

Comment

Originally posted by narf_ View Post
                mate

next time you pop your head in the cab and look at the jamma harness for P3andP4 can you tell me what wires on the top?

im working out the exact power wires to wire mine in
                P3 is on the parts side of the Aux board ,make sure you power it up too

Comment

yeah ive read ive got to power it up

was curious did they need both 5,12V

Comment

yeah ive read ive got to power it up

was curious did they need both 5,12V
                    I have always wired both

Comment

cheers mate

just running the extra million and wires atm and forgot about those. this cab will be worth 2k in copper once im finished

Comment

cheers mate

just running the extra million and wires atm and forgot about those. this cab will be worth 2k in copper once im finished
                        A tip is to use the two outside players as your 3rd and 4th player,the 2 inside ones as your 6 button players,you will also need start buttons for 3 and 4 wired to your harness

Comment

cheers

atm ive got mine lined up 1-4 as normal but 2 and 3 have a link cable with a molex plug to give more player room

Comment

Originally posted by GIBO View Post
                            I have always wired both
                            Can't hurt, and does make it closer to the JAMMA standard.

12v is usually only used for the audio amplifier on most JAMMA PCBs. No idea where the amp is on the xxxx-in-1's - if it is the top or main board etc...

Cheers
                            Jacob

Comment

Originally posted by GIBO View Post
                              Ok use the aux drive plug from your atx p/s thats the one that usually powers CD /DVD players and hard drives in a computer,cut the plug off the end and splice it into the jamma harness ,red is 5v yellow is 12v and black is ground ,follow a standard jamma pinout to work out where they go and all your problems will be fixed
                              http://pinouts.ru/Power/BigPower_pinout.shtml
                              Any chance someone could write me (or direct me to) some newbie-proof step by step instructions to do the above???

I'm not really sure where to start. I've searched around on all the forums and on google looking for some clear newbie proof step by step instructions on how to do this without any luck.

Cheers guys.
                              Cabinets Owned:

Wanted:
                              Donkey Kong
                              Spy Hunter

PCBs:
                              Point Blank 3 PCB
                              Bubble Bobble PCB

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X