Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 in 1 speaker buzzing

Hi guys,

Was just wondering if anyone is having similar problems to me. Since upgrading to a 60 in 1 board, I've turned the demo music sound to off so that it is quiet unless I envoke a coin or hit the free play button....

But I've noticed whilst in demo mode that I hear some slight buzzing through the speaker that seems to mimic whatever action is happening on the screen during the demo....

It also does a very obvious buzz at startup when the board initialises the 60 games.....

During general play everything is normal and I don't notice the buzz. Is this just a normal thing with these boards? (didn't notice it with the 48 in 1) or could I have something hooked up that I shouldn't?

Turning the sound pot on the board doesn't fix or change the problem?

I can live with it but was just curious if anyone has had a similar experience.....

Thanks
    60 in 1 LAI lowboy, stainless steel gameplate, 20" LCD.

It probably isn't the game board making the buzz, its more likely your switch mode power supply.
    Sounds like you need an EMI filter.

Comment

Hi Spacies, what exactly is an EMI filter and how does it work?

Comment

Sorry, EMI is Electromagnetic Interference.
        It filters out bad 'noises' from your AC line.
        Switch mode PSUs are notorious for this. With my new laptop (2.5k) I can't run a cable from the headphone socket to my Hi-Fi with the power supply plugged in because it makes a horrible noise. Just like your machine is doing. You can hear things happening. As soon as I remove the power (a switchmode PSU) it goes away.

You can buy inline filters online. Maybe try Jaycar or DSE.
        Some arcade machines already have them but some don't.

Comment

I'm very much a novice when it comes to arcade wiring, although learning everyday.... are inline filters easy to incorporate into my current wiring setup?

I have something similar to this powering my board.

http://www.highway.net.au/parts/powe...rs/3126_1.html

I assume a standard power supply.
          Last edited by mreddie; 16th December 2008, 08:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

No probs.

Yeah that is a switch mode power supply you linked to. They can cause headaches with noise.
            A filter will connect to your mains input so you will need to cut and join some wires.

You can get inline ones like this:

Or an entry model like this:

I use the latter.

Basically your Live and Neutral run through this and it eliminates interference. As soon as power is generated it is full of dirty noise. The power lines it runs through act like giant aerials which pick up more noise and by the time it hits sensitive electronic equipment it is crap. Most electronics have EMI/RFI filtes installed at the power entry point.

Comment

Hey thanks for the pics.....very helpful, will try Jaycar for one.

Comment

And because I have no experience with power wiring whatsoever, what do I remove from my current power supply to plug into the later device you've described.... sorry but my experience in this stuff is limited and I get very worried touching anything power related.

Comment

Cut your power cord off about a foot before it enters you cab. Strip back that cable and get some wire crimps and connect them to the end of each wire. Live, Neutral and Earth.

On the back of the EMI filter it has an L (for Live) N (for Neutral) and Earth. Connect the power cord wires to the appropriate pins. Then use a PC cord as the new power cable that plugs into the cab.

Comment

Would something like this just work over the power cord?

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/R5124

Comment

Wouldn't hurt to try one of those if you dont want to cut anything

Comment

Hey Gotcha Spacies, thanks so much....

Comment

You are welcome

Comment

My wires out of my cord are green, light blue and brown.

Comment

Green = Earth
                              Light Blue = Neutral
                              Brown = Live/phase

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X