Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Running a PC monitor with 60 in 1

mreddie

Question

Hello I've just purchased an old lowboy cabinet to realise the old 20" arcade monitor inside is not well. It goes purple on one side and the picture is very blurry. Have tried the monitor focus and the other settings but it still seems pretty sick. I don't know if a degauss wand would fix this.??

Anyhow my thought was to rip the old 20" CRT out and put in a standard 20" widescreen PC monitor. If I buy one, will it just work if I plug into the VGA port on the multi-board or will I need some sort of converter as well?

Also does anyone have good recommendations for good PC monitors for use with arcade boards.??

Thanks in advance.

7 answers to this question

Any PC monitor will work with the xxx in 1 boards with a VGA socket on them.

You will need to move a jumper or flip a dip switch to change the board from 15Kz mode (Arcade CRT) to 31Khz (VGA Monitor).

The manual for the PCB should list where to change that option.

Cheers

Jacob

Thanks for the quick response. Will give that a go. And are some PC monitors better than others for use with arcade, should I be looking for something with a quick refresh rate, etc, etc. or will any old brand give me clear and sharp pictures?

Thanks for the quick response. Will give that a go. And are some PC monitors better than others for use with arcade, should I be looking for something with a quick refresh rate, etc, etc. or will any old brand give me clear and sharp pictures?

Nah, they are run to a pretty old VGA spec, so refresh rate won't make much difference.

Clear and sharp is an interesting point - yes, they are 'clear and sharp' on a VGA - which does have a different appearance to an arcade CRT, which 'softens' the picture somewhat. Some people like it like that, others prefer it the 'old way'. Really, it is a matter of personal opinion!

Cheers

Jacob

Don't get a widescreen LCD. The games can't use it so it's just a waste. Stick with a 4:3. Although with the price of widescreens compared to 4:3 these days you'll probably get a 21" or 22" widescreen for the same price as a 17" or 19" 4:3. You just won't be able to use all the screen.