AK's thoughts on the 48 in 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AK's thoughts on the 48 in 1

We'll I finally went against all my principles and bought one of these things (only because it was dirt cheap from GameDude mind you).

So far I'm pretty impressed, having experienced most of these games first hand on the real hardware.
    The graphics and colours are pretty spot on but the sound is another story so here's my rating based on sound.

****ing Horrible
    Bad
    Average
    Good
    Excellent

Heres a few games I've played so far and how I'd rate them.
    BombJack - Average: Sound is ok once you get paste the intro music.
    Galaxians - ****ing Horrible!: Man this game shouldnt even be put on in its current state, the sound is so bad it makes your ears bleed. I noticed the fire sound is missing which is present in Space Invaders .
    Galaga - Good: Good faithful reproduction of the Galaga sound efects. I have to wonder if they use samples in the 48 in 1.
    Dig Dug - Average: One of my favorite games of all time, sound is a bit off key but ok.
    Gyruss - ****ing Horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: Don't even bother with this game, get the original hardware.
    All Pacman games - Good: was really happy with the sound.
    Frogger - Excellent: Sounded spot on.
    Donkey Kong, DKJR: Excellent!: I was really surprised at how good the sound was for the Donkey Kong games which is why I wonder if some games use samples.
    1942,1943 - Average: Not as bad as I was expecting..but not that great either.
    Zaxxon: Good
    New Rally X - Good
    Space Invaders - Good
    Mr Do! - Excellent! : Another pleasant surprise.
    QIX - Excellent!: Really good sound.
    Juno First - ****ing Horrible! OMG! sound ruins the game on this! disable it and save your ears.
    Mappy - Good!
    Millipede - Bad! but bearable
    Time Pilot - Bad! Bad! Bad!
    Pengo - Bad to Average: Some notes are off key enough to piss me off.
    Galaga 3(Gaplus): Good.

Pretty much all I've looked at so far.
    I thought there was some connection between games for example a lot of games using the AY-3-8910 sound chip were crap but some games like Frogger sounded good so who knows.
    I noticed when you put it into test mode it looks like its testing some sort of file system..hrm
    Another thing I dislike is they are all bootleg versions of the games IE: all the company copyright and logos are removed which makes some games look gay.

Over all the kids love it and I don't mind it either, not bad for the money and ideal for a cocktail but don't bother with some games, disable them!
    Last edited by Arcade King; 18th May 2008, 05:32 PM.

i keep my sound on low so not really bother me.

cant believe how the prices are now dropping on these boards. feel sorry for the people that forked out around the 600 mark in the old days
    you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

there cheap because the user has been bled for a shit product, i wouldnt stock em.
      <a href="www.priceearthmoving.com.au">mini excavator hire and constructions </a>

Comment

yah these are like $40 from HK now
        sigpic

Comment

I'm a pinball guy, but am thinking of getting a cocktail table sometime down the track.

The thing that puts me off is the main games i'm interested in have the shit sound. Moon Cresta, Time Pilot, Gyruss etc.

Perhaps a new and improved board is on the cards?. Could explain the price

Comment

No way shape or form was I going to pay top dollar for one of these. Like I said there are some good games in there like frogger and DK series that are exceptional.

Comment

seems the 60 in 1's are becoming the new flavour but i dont really understand why.
              Maybe they are improved?

DK

Comment

i bought a second hand 39 that is enough for me. isnt the 60 mainly extra hacks to bump up the game ratio
                you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

I heard the 60in1 has better sound. Would be interested to find out.
                  Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Originally posted by narf View Post
                    i bought a second hand 39 that is enough for me. isnt the 60 mainly extra hacks to bump up the game ratio
                    Yeah thats why i think 48 is plenty, Unless your after one specific new game.

Comment

Thanks for doing this AK. All of the talk about the sound on these 48-in-1 is the sole reason I haven't bought one. I'm really suprised there hasn't been a fix yet (rather than dropping the price - fix the sound bugs!)

When you say disable the shit ones, is that possible to remove them from the menu, as if the user didn't know they existed?
                      My Projects
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dmworking247 View Post
                        Thanks for doing this AK. All of the talk about the sound on these 48-in-1 is the sole reason I haven't bought one. I'm really suprised there hasn't been a fix yet (rather than dropping the price - fix the sound bugs!)

When you say disable the shit ones, is that possible to remove them from the menu, as if the user didn't know they existed?
                        yes you can remove them from the menu
                        The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

I have painfully experienced every game 1st hand many times myself.

Apart from a handful of games, these things are pretty bad.
                          Don't buy one unless your fav works OK.

Comment

Originally posted by dmworking247 View Post

Yeah like I said I bought it cheap so I'm not worried.

Please don't forget there are some really good gems amongst them like DK, DKJ DK3, Mr DO, QIX, Pacman(s), new rally X and Galaga are really good too.

So as long as you get it CHEAP your laughing and like I said its perfect for a cocktail, in fact my hankin hasnt been used this much is years.

Comment

Yeah, since you can disable unwanted games it a cheap alternative to making a dedicated DK-series cab 'with bonus games' for example... probably sell better than marketing it as a 48-in-1 lol
                              My Projects
                              sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X