Clear All

• Washed out left hand side of screen

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181211_202026.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	1908156

Hey guys,

So I recently got a machine but as you can see the image is washed out on one side. I looked it up and they said to flip the screen which I did and it was still washed out on the same side and didn't flip. Anything I can do to fix this or is it a case of finding a new monitor/tube?

Thanks in advance

Have you degaussed it or moved and rotated the entire cabinet to see if the colour changes?

Comment

Well I tried degaussing it with a power drill didnt do much/anything. Have moved the cabinet and flipped the screen and its the same.

Comment

best buy a $12 degussing wand
        Australian Distributors for Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball.
        Your one Stop Shop For New Pinball & Arcade Games.

Comment

Ok have purchased one and it is on it's way. I was hoping the drill would be enough.

Hopefully it arrives before the weekend

Comment

A little tip about the degaussing wand - don't activate it (keep button pressed) for more than about 5-6 seconds at a time. They get quite hot quite quickly, and cheap ones probably won't have a thermistor auto-off circuit to shut them down when they get hot.

I know because one of my wands is half-melted (still works fine though).

You'll need an extension lead for the wand. Lay it behind you when you get ready to degauss. Make sure the floor area is clear so you won't trip.

My method is to start degaussing about 20cm or so back from centre of screen, then immediately start to do (say) 2 spirals/circles moving outwards to the edges, then pull back directly away from the screen for about 3-4 metres (until colour effects are gone). Turn off wand before it gets too hot.

You should try to do all that in a smooth, even motion. Take a couple of practice runs first if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Zebidee View Post
              A little tip about the degaussing wand - don't activate it (keep button pressed) for more than about 5-6 seconds at a time. They get quite hot quite quickly, and cheap ones probably won't have a thermistor auto-off circuit to shut them down when they get hot.

I know because one of my wands is half-melted (still works fine though).

You'll need an extension lead for the wand. Lay it behind you when you get ready to degauss. Make sure the floor area is clear so you won't trip.

My method is to start degaussing about 20cm or so back from centre of screen, then immediately start to do (say) 2 spirals/circles moving outwards to the edges, then pull back directly away from the screen for about 3-4 metres (until colour effects are gone). Turn off wand before it gets too hot.

You should try to do all that in a smooth, even motion. Take a couple of practice runs first if you need to.
              Haha wish I read this an hour ago. Yes the wand got scorching hot and fast. I unplugged it and left it alone. It did make a difference but not heaps and seemed to revert sorta. Will try your method.

Thanks

Comment

If the screens had too hard a knock degaussing might not fix it, but the cabinet would be damaged too if this was the case.
                There'd be a heap of videos on utube for degaussing methods.

Comment

might just be a purity issue. In which case you could try setting up the tube again.

Comment

[MENTION=16024]buttersoft[/MENTION] If it was purity, wouldn't you expect to see colour problems on opposite side/other parts of the screen as well?

Comment

Looks like just a deguass required

It's a bit of trial and error but eventually should work

I've got a home built deguass ring can have strictly as is own risk but has worked for me

Comment

Persist patches often need several goes, might need to get a bit closer to those areas

Comment

Yeah, if the mask is undamaged, that's likely, but it's not a given. If it is damaged, setting it up again might be the best way to counteract. Or just using disc magnets round the outside. He has the wand though, so giving that a go first is the best thing.

Comment

Ok so degaussing seems to have done the trick so thanks for the help.

It is still a bit washed out on the bottom left corner but I can get the colours there but then I stuff it up everywhere else . I think I really need to master my degaussing technique.

Comment

Originally posted by kasp View Post
                              Ok so degaussing seems to have done the trick so thanks for the help.

It is still a bit washed out on the bottom left corner but I can get the colours there but then I stuff it up everywhere else . I think I really need to master my degaussing technique.
                              Sometimes it will be nigh on impossible to get it degaussed perfectly. For particularly troubling spots, try degaussing the tube form the back. Use an access panel to get the degaussing wand up close to the back of the tube and keep trying. Be careful when doing this of course, you don't want to poke your hand near the anode cup of a powered monitor.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X