Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Convergence Strips

Collapse

Dead monitor? something dosent look right on the screen? monitor repair questions here.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Convergence Strips

EDIT: So I should note that while i rag on the use of convergence strips at one point in this thread, they actually work really well. The key is to make sure you insert them deep enough under the yoke - they should be at least 12cm long - and then wiggle them around a bit to see the effect they have. You can make some yourself from any thin piece of something magnetically permeable (permalloy, mu-metal), magnetic, or magnetically susceptible (the last meaning ferrous, really), listed there in order of effectiveness, stuck onto the end of a thin, flexible plastic strip about 6mm wide. I hear a little chunk of snap-off box-cutter blade works fine. Remember though, that setting up your tube properly to begin with is a better idea - you only use the strips to correct dynamic (corner) convergence when the setup leaves a few imperfections.

I'm going to have to perform some convergence correction, and was wondering about those little permalloy strips you see stuck in around the yoke. Anyone know a place to pick those up, or what can be used as a substitute, given permalloy is really expensive and mu-metal's almost as bad? Can you get that stuff cheap from anywhere?

I've also heard some people use little strips of fridge magnet? Or is that a bad idea.

Any info or tips appreciated
    Last edited by buttersoft; 21 December 2017, 08:25 AM.

So no one's ever used anything but actual convergence strips? Or not with any success?

Comment

CRT is gone, dead and buried. You won't find anyone stocking anything to do with CRT anymore.

Any bits around are likely to be used.

These strips do VERY LITTLE. They were sometimes used by the factories for final tweaking but in practice I found they do almost nothing.

Mu metal is the opposite of these strips - it was used to shield from magnetism mostly in critical applications like Oscilloscope tubes.

I suspect you are not performing the convergence/purity adjustments correctly if you have purity or convergence issues.

Some tubes just could NEVER be adjusted perfectly - many these days have been spoilt by looking at the PERFECT alignment of LCDs and when you look at any CRT it is never perfect.

Comment

You could try here

http://www.arcadecup.com/

I also agree with Mike, and personally, whenever I've converged a picture tube I've never used the Convergence Strips myself.

Getting the picture perfect is near impossible, so good enough has always sufficed, especially for Arcade games.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Comment

This guy makes them
          http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=294089
          Regards

Dez

DSB Electrical
          DSB Electrical Facebook
          VAPS
          Vector Monitor Repro Parts
          Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

Comment

If I ever have to use any I just get them off of old tubes,some but not many TV tubes have them also.
            Good luck ,I hope you have plenty of patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Homepin View Post
              I suspect you are not performing the convergence/purity adjustments correctly if you have purity or convergence issues.
              Actually i Haven't adjusted anything... yet. But the problem isn't uniform, and it's not quite limited to the edges of the screen, so i suspect i'm going to need more than the strips.

Mu metal is the opposite of these strips - it was used to shield from magnetism mostly in critical applications like Oscilloscope tubes.
              You're saying they're magnetically susceptible, or just that they're actually little magnets?

Originally posted by dezbaz View Post
              Thx, but I already found that one. The guy stopped selling them a while ago

Thx for the replies, all.

Comment

Mu metal is a magnetic shield

Comment

Mu metal is a magnetic shield
                  Errr, yes. So is permalloy, and i've seen convergence strips labelled as being made from it. But you're saying they're normally magnets?

I suspect both would probably work?

Comment

Originally posted by buttersoft View Post
                    Errr, yes. So is permalloy, and i've seen convergence strips labelled as being made from it. But you're saying they're normally magnets?

I suspect both would probably work?
                    These strips are mildly magnetic (and are NOT made from Mu metal) - Mu metal is NOT magnetic.

Comment

Many moons ago, one of my jobs was adjusting convergence (mainly in the corners) for brand new Ceronix CRT’s tested in the USA, but when powered up in the Southern hemisphere, all of them were out of whack.

I remember some tubes required around ten strips, but after a couple of years in the field, the poor old techs were getting calls for bangs and smoke, as the 3M tape holding them failed and they were falling straight onto the chassis below As soon as LCD’s became cheaper, they switched.

As others have said, these strips only make small adjustments.

If you’re still after some, send me a PM with your address and I post some removed from old tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by pauly540 View Post
                        If you’re still after some, send me a PM with your address and I post some removed from old tubes.
                        That's mighty nice of you! PM to follow soon.

Comment

[MENTION=10677]pauly540[/MENTION] they arrived the other day but I've been too busy to drop in and say thanks!

Comment

Hi buttersoft

I'd be interested to hear how you went with your convergence adjustment. I'm currently looking for some convergence strips to try and correct an issue with one of my corners.

Cheers, Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Rustler77 View Post
                              Hi buttersoft

I'd be interested to hear how you went with your convergence adjustment. I'm currently looking for some convergence strips to try and correct an issue with one of my corners.

Cheers, Ben
                              These are unlikely to fix your problem.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X