Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Advice: Repair chassis or find new monitor?

simo1412

Question

Hey all,

As per title, after some advice.

Turned on my MK cabinet today and I've got vertical collapse, which from searching the forum I understand is chassis related.

However, the monitor is a 25" 59cm Orion which Jomac has posted on these forums is a POS, which was recalled shortly after it was originally produced.

So, should I send the chassis to be repaired or try to get a old of a 59cm tube and then get a universal chassis from Jomac?

I'm thinking the second one is a better option if I can find a tube.

Cheers

19 answers to this question

It's gonna be difficult to find a 59cm tube these days, they were a fairly uncommon tube size to begin with.

I'd message Joey and ask him about repairs. I assume the chassis is a Kortek paired with the Orion tube? It's true, they are not great monitors, but if the picture was OK to begin with, it's likely cheaper and easier to just get the chassis repaired.

It's gonna be difficult to find a 59cm tube these days, they were a fairly uncommon tube size to begin with.

I'd message Joey and ask him about repairs. I assume the chassis is a Kortek paired with the Orion tube? It's true, they are not great monitors, but if the picture was OK to begin with, it's likely cheaper and easier to just get the chassis repaired.

Yes, I've been keeping an eye out for a 59cm for a few months but seems it will be a challenge. I've got a NEC 63cm TV under the house, there was a 59cm on Gumtree on the 30th December but missed it unfortunately.

Yep, it's the Kortek with the Orion. The picture was dark but ok.

Yes, I've been keeping an eye out for a 59cm for a few months but seems it will be a challenge. I've got a NEC 63cm TV under the house, there was a 59cm on Gumtree on the 30th December but missed it unfortunately.

Yep, it's the Kortek with the Orion. The picture was dark but ok.

Those NEC 26 inch tubes are bloody beautiful, I have one in a cabinet myself. If you can retrofit that into the cab, I'd do it. It shouldn't be too difficult, will likely just require some new mounting holes drilled and maybe a small section cut out of the monitor mount. Then get a universal chassis and adjust the image size so that it fits the 25 inch bezel.

Have you measured the yoke? If the tube is ok @Jomac will sort it :)

Hey, I've measured the yoke now. Resistance across the Yellow and Green was 6.6 ohms, across Red and Blue 1.5 ohms. That's in a normal range right?

Still torn, anyone know if fitting a 26 inch tube into the 25 inch MK cabinet is likely to work?

Hey, I've measured the yoke now. Resistance across the Yellow and Green was 6.6 ohms, across Red and Blue 1.5 ohms. That's in a normal range right?

Still torn, anyone know if fitting a 26 inch tube into the 25 inch MK cabinet is likely to work?

Yeah, that's a relatively normal reading for a tube, so it likely means the tube is fine. I can guarantee you that if you manage to get that NEC tube in there and get a good universal chassis on it, it will make your Kortek/Orion combo look like a steaming turd. My very first machine had a Kortek/Zenith combo, I could not believe the difference when I dropped the 63cm NEC in there and put in a Joey chassis. It is a thing of bloody beauty.

• Like 1

Thank you to @namastepat and@Arcade King for the advice with this one and @Jomac for supplying a new chassis. (And answering my questions)

Jomac confirmed that the tube was the model number that had been recalled many years ago, so it made sense to swap it out.

I got the 63" NEC tube in there with a bit of work with the jigsaw to make the frame larger and moved the bolt/plug things and it went in ok. Will have to drop it down a cm or 2 to fit the glass again, but that's a job for another time.

Big improvement in colour, brightness etc. which has been good. Has barrel distortion I can't eliminate completely, even with the pincushion adjustment turned up all the way to try and combat that, but regardless of that it's a noticeable improvement over the old monitor.

Thanks again for the advice.

58060c651d38077a5ba17f39d19e3115.thumb.jpg.1c34855b958e247d58d64404e312a886.jpg

39e7266938337ab12393a9214a2680e1.thumb.jpg.531a86d2c0f0c6c32b8b670946cfa3ad.jpg

eb3d1aff4dfb216f57fc123085c68b9b.thumb.jpg.aa1ac93900b17694b7dd5603d53a3656.jpg

• Like 5

Good outcome, although that barrel distortion is worse than it should be. Have you spoken to Joey about that? He might have some advice for how to eliminate it. What happens when you adjust the pin cushion? Is the picture you have there as good as you can make it? You've also got your brightness too high. See how you can see blue in your blacks? Turn down the brightness pot (or the blue cut off and gains) to eliminate that blue.

If you were local, I would offer to drop around and do some monitor adjustment, it's totally my jam :) (pun intended)

Yes, it's the Wei-Ya. I doubt the picture is as good as I can make it in terms of colour, brightness, it was just as good as I got it when I took the pics :) I'll have a play around, thanks for the tip.

I might ask Joey, but I didn't want to hassle him too much as I had already asked him a few questions via email on the day I installed it to make sure I was doing it right.

Just shoot him an email with a picture of the barrel distortion and see what he says. It could be he just needs to change something on the chassis to give the pot more adjustment range, or something similar. Problem is, you may need to send the chassis back to him to do it. Joey has given me advice on changing caps on chassis to help alleviate issues and I just got a mate who ias good at soldering to do it for me.

Final update. I emailed Joey as per the suggestions in this thread and he advised me to remove/disconnect one leg on a capacitor on the chassis, and the result, as you can see, is great. Nice straight vertical line on the edges now.

Now just have to make or source a surround/bezel to suit the larger monitor.

thanks to everyone who provided suggestions and advice with this one. Very happy with the outcome.

68fb879651c0d565d495a1d577efd690.thumb.jpg.7e626b8e2f1ca08612f85160a4cc9d4c.jpg

628555f91d5d1602e038e7d2760b22d3.thumb.jpg.84f51dfd0b61353533b98715fd8aba76.jpg

a22e2f9b4ab10221ec7fea719720e9a7.thumb.jpg.89594f717400e4d2750fb9ef1b2b3101.jpg

• Like 1