Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice: Repair chassis or find new monitor?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice: Repair chassis or find new monitor?

    Hey all,

    As per title, after some advice.

    Turned on my MK cabinet today and I've got vertical collapse, which from searching the forum I understand is chassis related.
    However, the monitor is a 25" 59cm Orion which Jomac has posted on these forums is a POS, which was recalled shortly after it was originally produced.

    So, should I send the chassis to be repaired or try to get a old of a 59cm tube and then get a universal chassis from Jomac?

    I'm thinking the second one is a better option if I can find a tube.

    Cheers

  • #2
    Have you measured the yoke? If the tube is ok Jomac will sort it

    Comment


    • #3
      It's gonna be difficult to find a 59cm tube these days, they were a fairly uncommon tube size to begin with.

      I'd message Joey and ask him about repairs. I assume the chassis is a Kortek paired with the Orion tube? It's true, they are not great monitors, but if the picture was OK to begin with, it's likely cheaper and easier to just get the chassis repaired.

      Comment


      • #4
        I remember Joey telling me years back those 25"s used in those cabs were known to fail....I use to have one.
        Amazing there's any still working if that's the case.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
          Have you measured the yoke? If the tube is ok Jomac will sort it
          No I haven't measured the yoke. Don't have any real idea about monitors/chassis etc. I'll have to read through some more posts to figure that out.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by namastepat View Post
            It's gonna be difficult to find a 59cm tube these days, they were a fairly uncommon tube size to begin with.

            I'd message Joey and ask him about repairs. I assume the chassis is a Kortek paired with the Orion tube? It's true, they are not great monitors, but if the picture was OK to begin with, it's likely cheaper and easier to just get the chassis repaired.
            Yes, I've been keeping an eye out for a 59cm for a few months but seems it will be a challenge. I've got a NEC 63cm TV under the house, there was a 59cm on Gumtree on the 30th December but missed it unfortunately.

            Yep, it's the Kortek with the Orion. The picture was dark but ok.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
              I remember Joey telling me years back those 25"s used in those cabs were known to fail....I use to have one.
              Amazing there's any still working if that's the case.
              Only kind of working now!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by simo1412 View Post

                Yes, I've been keeping an eye out for a 59cm for a few months but seems it will be a challenge. I've got a NEC 63cm TV under the house, there was a 59cm on Gumtree on the 30th December but missed it unfortunately.

                Yep, it's the Kortek with the Orion. The picture was dark but ok.
                Those NEC 26 inch tubes are bloody beautiful, I have one in a cabinet myself. If you can retrofit that into the cab, I'd do it. It shouldn't be too difficult, will likely just require some new mounting holes drilled and maybe a small section cut out of the monitor mount. Then get a universal chassis and adjust the image size so that it fits the 25 inch bezel.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
                  Have you measured the yoke? If the tube is ok Jomac will sort it
                  Hey, I've measured the yoke now. Resistance across the Yellow and Green was 6.6 ohms, across Red and Blue 1.5 ohms. That's in a normal range right?

                  Still torn, anyone know if fitting a 26 inch tube into the 25 inch MK cabinet is likely to work?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by simo1412 View Post

                    Hey, I've measured the yoke now. Resistance across the Yellow and Green was 6.6 ohms, across Red and Blue 1.5 ohms. That's in a normal range right?

                    Still torn, anyone know if fitting a 26 inch tube into the 25 inch MK cabinet is likely to work?
                    Yeah, that's a relatively normal reading for a tube, so it likely means the tube is fine. I can guarantee you that if you manage to get that NEC tube in there and get a good universal chassis on it, it will make your Kortek/Orion combo look like a steaming turd. My very first machine had a Kortek/Zenith combo, I could not believe the difference when I dropped the 63cm NEC in there and put in a Joey chassis. It is a thing of bloody beauty.

                    Comment

                    Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                    Working...
                    X