Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

PC related question

Shock_And_Awe

Question

7 answers to this question

Hi Mark,

Which fan, power-supply fan, CPU fan or case fan.

Many cheaper fans are only a sleeve type and it does not take too much in the way of contaminants to chew out this sleeve causing it to become sloppy, vibrate and thus become noisy.

You can replace the fan and problem should go away, depending on the quality of the replacement fan and the environment it is in will determine its lifespan also.

Of course if the powersupply fan is the problem bear in mind that there are extremely hazardous voltages inside and i would recommend you replaced the powersupply to be on the safe side.. you can get a cheap one for about 30-40 these days.

Paul.

Hi Mark,

Of course if the powersupply fan is the problem bear in mind that there are extremely hazardous voltages inside and i would recommend you replaced the powersupply to be on the safe side.. you can get a cheap one for about 30-40 these days.

Paul.

Get a quality PSU if you can, the ammount of bulging, bursting and popped caps I'm seeing on mainboards of late is due to dodgey voltages coming from crap, cheap, PSU's

Hi guys,

The pc I'm using for mame is approx 6 months old with very little use. Over the past couple of weeks the fan has become very noisy. Any ideas on the cause and what to do?

Thanks,

Mark.

Step 1:Open the case and try to work out which fan it is. It is probably the Video card. Easy to test: just stop it with your finger and see if thats the noisy one.

Step 2: Replace fan.

I had the same issue. My PC's fans got damn noisy. So noisy, that I couldnt sleep in the next room at night !!! It was the fan on my 6 month old video card (nVidia 5700LE). Tried to get a quiet replacement, but couldnt because of the mounting holes on the LE. Then I noticed that my old GeForce4MX440 had the same hole positions. Swapped the fans and everything is nice and quiet-ish.

You would think that if you pay $$$ for a video card that they would put a little bit better fan on it to showcase it a bit.:unsure

Be careful stopping it with your finger...

A few years back a mate of mine bought a Golden Orb or something like that... one of those Coke-can sized CPU coolers with a high speed fan.

The day he bought it, another mate stopped the fan with his finger... and it didn't start again... :p

Be careful stopping it with your finger...

A few years back a mate of mine bought a Golden Orb or something like that... one of those Coke-can sized CPU coolers with a high speed fan.

The day he bought it, another mate stopped the fan with his finger... and it didn't start again... :p

I was talking about the grafix chip fan. If its noisy, then its probably a cheep flimsy POS. But yeah, a big high powered jobby like that could do damage (mostly to your finger). How long did he have his finger in it to burn it out?

The other thing about video cards is that you CAN get away with passive cooling by slapping a dirty great heatsink on it. But that depends on what you use the video for.

Get a quality PSU if you can, the ammount of bulging, bursting and popped caps I'm seeing on mainboards of late is due to dodgey voltages coming from crap, cheap, PSU's

Plus cheap sourcing of caps. We've had to replace a heap of Dell mobos with this problem (only on one model) and Dell know it's a prob.

http://www.badcaps.com/

I was talking about the grafix chip fan. If its noisy, then its probably a cheep flimsy POS. But yeah, a big high powered jobby like that could do damage (mostly to your finger). How long did he have his finger in it to burn it out?

Only a second or two... maybe those fans were cheap flimsy POS's too :D

My Thermaltake (supposedly good brand) VGA cooler has a noisy fan... it's about 2 years old I think?

Picks up lots of dust, I think I need a filter on my PC...