Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Newbee LAI Jamma rewire. Help

petegeelong

Question

Hi i am looking to rewire my new toy. Its LAI 26in, I am hoping to use the cabinet with a mame pc, so i am thinking i should rewire the cabinet with a new jamma harness. but as you can see in the photos that there is some sort of control system for counting coins, volume, service switch, ect.

My concern is if i pull all that out i will not be able to get power to the screen as the power gos up to the the box then down to the transformer.

Is it best to use a new jamma harness and then a jpac or just rewire it for a ipac?

Also if you can see any pitfalls i should be aware about could you please let me know.

Thanks to all those who take the time to reply. Thankyou..

IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5770.jpg

15 answers to this question

Hi i am looking to rewire my new toy. Its LAI 26in, I am hoping to use the cabinet with a mame pc, so i am thinking i should rewire the cabinet with a new jamma harness. but as you can see in the photos that there is some sort of control system for counting coins, volume, service switch, ect.

My concern is if i pull all that out i will not be able to get power to the screen as the power gos up to the the box then down to the transformer.

Is it best to use a new jamma harness and then a jpac or just rewire it for a ipac?

Also if you can see any pitfalls i should be aware about could you please let me know.

Thanks to all those who take the time to reply. Thankyou..

The easiest path is to use a JPAC, as it means all you need is a LAI to JAMMA Adapter.

I was looking for one the other day, and it seems it will have to be home-made

By the way, welcome to the forum :)

This is exactly the same distribution box that is in my Golden Tee 97, my guess its a standard LAI feature. I believe it is already a full jamma harness although in my Golden Tee the trackball is run fromk the main board other than the jamma harness. Not had much to do with Jpacs sorry.

This is exactly the same distribution box that is in my Golden Tee 97, my guess its a standard LAI feature. I believe it is already a full jamma harness although in my Golden Tee the trackball is run fromk the main board other than the jamma harness. Not had much to do with Jpacs sorry.

We need a close up of the edge connector, where it would plug into the game board to see (Please)

The features you talk about e.g. coin counter, service, test etc are all part of the Jamma sytem harness, whether you use them or not is up to you. Just because it has a facility to do so does not mean it has to be used......Dezbaz is right as there are some differences across systems

Thanks everyone for your input, My understanding it is jamma, and that i could plug in a jpac, However i wish to run 6 buttons for each player for fighting games and the controls go via the box as well.

What do machines without the lai dist box have?

Thanks again

Thanks everyone for your input, My understanding it is jamma, and that i could plug in a jpac, However i wish to run 6 buttons for each player for fighting games and the controls go via the box as well.

Thanks again

Standard JAMMA does not support enough buttons for a six button per player setup. That is why for games like street fighter you hear about a "kick harness" which was a separate connector between the game PCB and the 3 extra "kick" buttons per player.

Soooo, if you want to use a JPAC, it should plug straight into the standard JAMMA connector in your LAI cab, but you will also need to wire up 6 extra inputs on the JPAC (for the "kick" buttons) from the control panel to the JPAC.

Machines without the distribution box usually have either a simple terminal box for distributing the 240/110v or, as is most often, frightening wiring held together with twists and wishes - and some electrical tape if you are lucky.

Have fun!

Cheers

Jacob

as aj said

operators have the wiring skills of a dead antelope.

:lol

But I'd have to add - NOT ALL operators! I know some members of AA are ops, and from what I have heard from them I'd happily play their machines knowing a competent, smart and safety minded person maintains them.

Perhaps it would be better to say "wanna be" operators, who really are just a fish and chip shop owner who called in their cousin who did electronics in year 9 at school to "fix 'er up"....

Cheers

Jacob

Thanks again

I think the JPAC Has the ability to add the 2 extra switches (Any die hard Mamer know?) So please check. The wires go straight from the JPAC to the 2 pairs of buttons

Thanks again

Some have LAI pinouts, or universal pinouts - which are 22 pin double sided

I think a JAMMA wiring harness can do up to 4 buttons per player, but you'll need to wire buttons 5 and 6 direct to the JPAC. P1 and P2 start, credit and coin buttons also go through the harness.

Volume will depend on how you set up your speakers, using the cabinet speakers already there or hooking up PC speakers.