Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Intermittant problem with Xevios game

RXII

Question

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a lowboy with a 'Xevios' PCB in it. When I switch it on I cant always add credits to play the game, when it does this its like its frozen because it doesn't show the game demo either. Sometimes I have to turn it off/on about 5 times to get it to the screen where it actually fires up and says 'Insert Coin', then I know it's going to work ok. Once its fires up on the right screen it is ok for hours. Anyone know where I could start looking??

Any help would be great!

Thanks, Simon.

7 answers to this question

Sounds like the game PCB is crashing on bootup.

Since it runs fine when warm two immediate problems could be the cause.

Bad PSU (or bad connections between the PSU and the edge connector)

Bad game PCB, sometimes you get components that wont work correctly until they are warmed up a bit.

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a lowboy with a 'Xevios' PCB in it. When I switch it on I cant always add credits to play the game, when it does this its like its frozen because it doesn't show the game demo either. Sometimes I have to turn it off/on about 5 times to get it to the screen where it actually fires up and says 'Insert Coin', then I know it's going to work ok. Once its fires up on the right screen it is ok for hours. Anyone know where I could start looking??

Any help would be great!

Thanks, Simon.

Start of simple mate. First, clean the edge connector with some metho. Second check your psu with a multimeter at the edge connector under load and adjust the +5v to suit.

Thanks for your help guys,

I cleaned the edge connector and the fingerboard connector including the female side of the plugs with CO contact cleaner....is that just as good as metho? I also checked the 5V and got 6.5V at the power supply, I didn't check it at the connector and how do I check it "under load"? The 12V terminal was at 14V so I turned it down a bit. How much difference is between the power supply terminal and the edge connector? I will try it tomorrow. After I cleaned it - it fired up 1st time 3 times in a row and I thought "beauty"! but then I tried it again and it froze up again.:rolleyes

Any other suggestions?

Cheers, Simon.

You need to measure the voltage level at the board while running.

If it is greater than .3volts or so difference between the pcb measured voltage and that measured at the PSU than you have a cable or connector problem.

If the PSU is showing 6.5v while running and the 5v adjust is not adjusting enough it may be a bad PSU.

You really need a good PSU to run most game PCB, old PSU are often the cause of many wierd problems. Fixing them is easy, many just need new caps installed.

It could also be the game board, when it is running try flexing or moving the pcb while running and see if it glitches.

You need to measure the voltage level at the board while running.

If it is greater than .3volts or so difference between the pcb measured voltage and that measured at the PSU than you have a cable or connector problem.

If the PSU is showing 6.5v while running and the 5v adjust is not adjusting enough it may be a bad PSU.

You really need a good PSU to run most game PCB, old PSU are often the cause of many wierd problems. Fixing them is easy, many just need new caps installed.

It could also be the game board, when it is running try flexing or moving the pcb while running and see if it glitches.

I will try that thanks. I forgot to mention it had a new PSU fitted late last year. It is firing up more times than not now so I will give the contacts another going over and check those voltages under load.

Cheers, Simon.

the best place to measure voltage is on the pcb the furthest point from the edge connector.

Adjust to suit. Some of the classic pcb's are finicky on the power. Try from 4.6v to 5.2v. You shouldn't run pcb's more then this as it will and does damage components. Plus it will shorten the life of the pcb.